• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New skis for teenage daughters - advice?

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Hello, I’m looking for advice/feedback on my thinking regarding new skis for my teenage daughters. Have I made reasonable choices? Do I have the ski length right?

I have two daughters, daughter A. just turned 13 years old and is 5’4”, 115 lbs., daughter E. is about to turn 15 years old and is 5’5”, 110 lbs. (Think your average active teenage girls). Both are athletic and have been skiing for 7 years. Reading the PSIA level scale, they ski in the level 6/7 range. We live in Iowa so the local skiing is limited, but we’ve been going to CO for Spring Break the last three years. On the mountain they like to play, ski in the trees and look for small jumps to get “air”. We’ve never had the opportunity to ski powder, but we do spend time off-piste. Daughter A. (the younger one) is more adventurous, daughter E. is more cautious. Daughter A. can ski bumps, daughter E. doesn’t like bumps. Last Spring Break we skied Blue Sky at Vail. We loved lapping Cloud 9 and Big Rock Park at Pete’s Bowl. There was a gully/draw at the bottom that was a fun challenge.

I recently purchased them boots locally, from a sporting goods store that has a decent selection. Daughter A. got white Roxy boots - flex 70, daughter E. black/pink Salomon boots - flex 70/80. I’d like to get them skies that are not too overwhelming, but at the same time something they can grow into and enjoy. I’d love to have them demo some skies, but that is simply not possible.

Both are fashion conscious (surprise, surprise), they have ruled out any ski they deem ugly. I’ve done a fair amount of time researching intermediate level skis. Here are my thoughts on possible skies for them, please let me know if they make sense or are way off. Feel free to suggest alternates, but know we’re trying to keep the cost in the $400-$500 range (and neither like red skies). I honestly believe they will be fine with any quality intermediate ski that is sized right for them.

Daughter E. - likes the look of the following skis
• 2009 Dynastar Legend Exclusive 152 cm 114-75-102, Look Nx Exclusive Fluid Legend bindings
• 2008-09 Volkl Attiva Viento Women's 154cm 114-68-100 Marker 3Motion 10.0 Attiva bindings
Daughter A. - likes the following skis
• 2010 Atomic Cloud 8 151 cm 115-73-104 Integrated XTL 9 binding system
• 2009 Head Cool One 149 cm 116-70-102 One RF 9 binding

Thanks for reading my rather long post.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world!!

As for the skis, I'm only familiar with the Atomics. But we know (and love) someone who is just as familiar with those Dynastars.

The Cloud 8 or 9 would fit. So if looks are important.....

And I'm 5'5, much heavier and ski 154 to 160. So anywhere in the 155 range or shorter is good!

Gee, why not "red"?? Oh, it won't go with the pink boots right?

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Red ski don’t match A’s jacket or E’s black/pink boots.

“OMG, you are not getting me red ski’s, they look ugly.”

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
(But we know (and love) someone who is just as familiar with those Dynastars.) :redface::becky:
Hi, IowaMom, from The Dynastar Lady (and someone who spent most of my life in states "right next door!" :wink:) Looks like you are on the right track with both DD's. :smile:

For their intended use, a wider waist width is preferable. Therefore, for DD/E, Dynastar EL 152 looks really good (and WILL take her gently through moguls and change her mind!). Adventurous DD/A would do well on the Atomic Cloud 8 (or even 9 for her, although specified boots are a bit soft for it).

Regrettably, I don't have much info on the others, but the waist width is narrower on both and would work better on groomed. Why not go for versatile? :eyebrows: "A" would also like Line Celebrity, nice ski for her adventurous spirit.

Most important is the boot fit. These are relatively soft boots (per flex index) and would match up better with a softer ski that responds to the boots.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Adventurous DD/A would do well on the Atomic Cloud 8 (or even 9 for her, although specified boots are a bit soft for it).

Regrettably, I don't have much info on the others, but the waist width is narrower on both and would work better on groomed. Why not go for versatile? :eyebrows: "A" would also like Line Celebrity, nice ski for her adventurous spirit.

Most important is the boot fit. These are relatively soft boots (per flex index) and would match up better with a softer ski that responds to the boots.

Adventurous daughter A might also like the Head Great One, as well as the Line Celebrity. I agree that a bit softer, more playful ski might fit her personality (for jumps and bumps), as well as her boots.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Well, I've ordered a pair of 2009 Dynastar Exclusive Legend (152cm) for DD E. She thought the graphics were acceptable, but we'll see once the skis arrive.

DD A. (13 years old) is still in love with the looks of the 2010 Atomic Cloud 8, but they're out of our price range. And the 2009 Cloud 8's are also. So I've been looking at the 2009 Fischer Vision Exhale (150cm). DD A. thinks the graphics are ok. I'm more interested in how the ski performs. Any 2009 Fischer Vision Exhale owners out their? How does it handle crud and in the trees? The skinet.com review indicated the ski struggled in powder and crud.

Thanks fo your thoughts. This really is a very good site for aspiring skiers.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
DD A. (13 years old) is still in love with the looks of the 2010 Atomic Cloud 8, but they're out of our price range. And the 2009 Cloud 8's are also. So I've been looking at the 2009 Fischer Vision Exhale (150cm). DD A. thinks the graphics are ok. I'm more interested in how the ski performs. Any 2009 Fischer Vision Exhale owners out their? How does it handle crud and in the trees? The skinet.com review indicated the ski struggled in powder and crud.
The Fischer is more of a carving ski; it really seems that Daughter A needs something more versatile. Daughter E, with her Dynastar EL's, has a versatile ski and soon would be able to go places that Daughter A with the Fischers may not. So, how about another ski recommendation...something cool looking, that skis great, and is versatile: The K2 Missdemeanor. You can find 2008 and 2009 models out there, for instance:https://www.sierrasnowboard.com/K2-MissDemeanor-Womens-Skis.asp (The 159 cm size shown there is what Daughter A probably needs....a twin tip ski should be around 8-10 cm longer than a carving ski).
Or if they are sold out on this site, Google them and you'll find them for in the $230 price range. I just really think that Daughter A, who likes little jumps, and the trees, would be happier in the long run with a more versatile ski than the Fischer.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
I discussed with DD A. the idea of twin tips. She wasn't enthused about them, especially since they would be longer. So the search continues for good 70/30 woman's intermediate ski in the 148-152 cm range, something other than the Dynastar EL. They both can't have the same ski. We may just have to get the Cloud 8.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
We'll research the Head line. We've considered the Head Cool One, but that particular ski seems more like a pure carver, not a 70/30 or 80/20 type ski.

Just for a fun, here's a pic of the girls at Vail's Pete's Bowl last March. (Hope the pic show up ok.)

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22

IowaMom

Diva in Training
DD A. likes the looks 2008 Roxy Bliss, so it looks like we'll be ordering those. Which length would be better for her 146 cm or 154 cm? It's 149 cm to her nose, 156 cm to her forhead. She weighs 115 lbs. Different sizing charts recommend different lengths.

And what about pole lengths? DD A. is 5' 3.5" tall.

Thanks for all the help.

Jilly

Staff member
At 13 has she hit her growth spurt yet?? I'd go for the longer, for more years of use.

Poles - with boots on turn over a pole, grip on the floor, place hand under the basket and make a right angle with the elbow. At 5'4 she should be around 100cm. Aluminium poles can be cut with a pipe cut if needed.

IowaMom

Diva in Training
I don't know if she has hit a growth spurt or not. Her feet are bigger than her older sister though and I've been told this indicates she will be a tall girl, eventually taller than her older sister. Only time will tell.

A for the Roxy Bliss, she now thinks they might be too red. She is still in love with the mostly white Atomic Cloud 8. I'm going to do a little more looking, but will most likely order the 2008 Roxy Bliss.

Thanks for your help with this decision.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Well, here's something else to consider. The Cloud 8 has a waist of 73 while the Roxy has a waist of 72. Pretty similar. Therefore the Roxy may not be more versatile than the Cloud 8. So if it's going to be a carving ski, let your daughter choose between the two.

I still think a twin tip might fit her skiing style better....although twins are skied a bit longer, that's because of their turned up tail, which decreases the effective edge length of the ski....so a longer twin still feels like a shorter "regular" ski.

But she's 13 and sounds like she has a mind of her own. And her need to like the ski's graphics is important to her and may even have a bit of a psychological effect on her skiing!:smile: Ah, teenagers.....

IowaMom

Diva in Training
Last night DD A. and I had another session on the PC looking over the Roxy Bliss. After some salesmanship on my part and looking at her boots, she agreed that the Bliss is the ski for her.

Now I'm wondering about her boots. She has new Roxy Swell boots, which have a flex of 75. The Roxy Bliss boots (flex 90) are available in her size online, so I could take the Swell boots back and get her the Bliss boots. I'm thinking the Bliss boots would work better with the Bliss skis, but then the Swell boots would probably work for her also. All she is used to is rental gear. The real question is does DD A. like the looks of the Bliss boot. I'll find out tonight.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 5'4 she should be around 100cm. Aluminium poles can be cut with a pipe cut if needed.

I'm 5' and my poles are at 110cm (which is about 4 inches longer than 100cm). I'm leggy for my size and have the shortest torso on the planet; I'm inclined to think that this may affect the height at which the elbow makes a right angle. If possible, they should just go into a shop and try them out for size.

fwiw, I think both daughters might enjoy the twintips. :smile: Good luck!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Now I'm wondering about her boots. She has new Roxy Swell boots, which have a flex of 75. The Roxy Bliss boots (flex 90) are available in her size online, so I could take the Swell boots back and get her the Bliss boots. I'm thinking the Bliss boots would work better with the Bliss skis, but then the Swell boots would probably work for her also. All she is used to is rental gear. The real question is does DD A. like the looks of the Bliss boot. I'll find out tonight.

The Swell boots with their flex of 60 are pretty soft, if DA is athletic she may want a slightly stiffer boot (the 90). It may give her more control. Not sure though, how that works with her size and weight and skiing ability.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly