• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mountain and General Skiing Anxiety

I like that! I often get comments like "you're probably an expert skier." Um no not at all. I've never been one to "toot my own horn "as I'm better than many skiers out there but not as good as probably even more.

I never toot my on horn. Just like when i was in my street shoes standing next to my 163cm kenjas and this girl said wow those skus are tall you must be really good. In reality I am taller than my kenjas and maybe her skis are really short. That said i was at a loss as to what to say. Its my natural reaction to just say something like no but i get down the hill ok. Which is true cause i would never say i am a great skier, far from it. Maybe her skis were short so mine seemed long. I just didn't know how to answer and not sound like an a$$.

I tend to just say i like to do a certain sport. I love to ski or i like to downhill mountain bike as it seems tamer to me. Saying i am a skier or a down hill mountain biker just has more experienced connotation to it in my mind and i am not comfortable saying that,. I am however, comfortable saying i am a corporate & securities paralegal cause i have been doing it for 15 years.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I love to ski.

You know if I was a dude, it'd be explicIative YEAH but I cannot imagine that conversation in real life. Guys like to keep their worries to themselves.

And keeping it real, I'm an intermediate/advanced skier. I like a challenge but I am cautious too. I don't do double black diamonds, chutes, jumps, and for sure I need practice in bumps , powder, and trees. Sometimes I suck.

I love watching good skiers, whether for their power, their grace, or their daring.

Last edited:
Ok sigh.......... here goes. I am a skier but keeping it real too. I am an intermediate who mainly sticks to blue groomers. I have done blacks before but it depends on the mountain and conditions. I don't do double blacks, moguls and have gone through a couple tree runs to get my palate wet. I take lessons whenever I can. I am cautious and tentative but have days where I feel more aggressive than others. I stem turns sometimes and when I'm nervous I turn into a wedging ball of nerves but I'm working to overcome this. I have a confidence issue when skiing with a large group of people that are a million times better than me. I need to work on this so that so that it doesn't consume me because I want to enjoy diva events. I might never be the best but as long as I always have fun and just enjoy and appreciate everyone skiing's awesomeness.

I just completed my first year as a ski instructor but despite what people think you don't need to be an expert to start out as instructor. I was terrified to do this but it was the best thing I have ever done and I'm proud of myself for following through with this and am going to keep at it as its helped more than I can ever say. I constantly take lessons and try to constantly be a good skier but I do have bad days and that's ok. My main goal is to always have fun.

but...but.. at the end of the day while I have good days and bad days skiing is my soul mate and I....am...a...skier......

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Wear it loud and proud...
line_1516_skier-forever_green

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I consider myself a skier...probably because I spend money on a season pass every year... just bought a new ski jacket,...thinking about what skis to purchase next year...most of my winter plans are about skiing.

I am not an expert skier (never will be), but I am avid...I think that qualifies me as a skier, not my skill level.

altagirl

Staff member
I don't get this. I was a skier even as a newb. Just because I'm not and never gonna be an expert doesn't make me not a skier.

Totally agree. Kind of like the bikini body meme.

Have you skied (put the gear on your body and slid on snow in some fashion) and plan to go again sometime? Congrats. You are a skier.

Ability level has nothing to do with it.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Absorbing and balance too for bumps. That has made all the difference this year with my bump skiing. And you don't have to hit every bumps. Those guys on TV are doing something totally different than real life skiing. Take every second bump so you stay in balance. Turn on the top and slide down the back as Kathy Prophet told me years ago. But all of this should be in another thread. But it is all about technique and confidence.
Yes, another thread...but retraction turns made all the difference for me!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you skied (put the gear on your body and slid on snow in some fashion) and plan to go again sometime? Congrats. You are a skier.

Ability level has nothing to do with it.
So, by extension, we are all ski divas, regardless of ability level, experience, gear coolness, diva-ish-ness, etc., etc! (Must… silence… doubt…)

Per dictionary.com: skier [skee-er] noun 1. a person who skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna