• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
West Virginia was the big winner for yesterday's snowstorm as it moved northeast and headed towards New England. Schools are closed in the Boston area today as they hunker down for another foot of snow from nor'easter blizzard conditions.

Anyone know how eastern PA did?

SkiSE had a storm total table this morning. Snowshoe got almost two feet! The surprise is that the VA mountains got 4-7 inches. Even so, Massanutten is closed until Friday. Wintergreen is open 9am-3pm and 6-hour lift tickets are $39. Even has an overnight deal for $92 that includes a lift ticket. The storm went east to quickly for Wisp, so only 3 inches there.
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.17.44 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The storm lasted so long in NC, WV, MD that the SkiSE depth table for 3/14 goes to 54 hours. Canaan Valley is not listed because they closed for the season already. Same for Beech.

Snowshoe will end up with more than 40 inches! They re-opened Shay's. Still making snow too. Big question is whether or not they will extend past April 1 as the Closing Day. Could be a great way to sell more Ikon passes for late season turns plus 2018-19 skiing.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.12.24 PM.png

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The photos out of Snowshoe look amazing. We are headed out next Thurs, hope it holds! For right now the forecast for next Fri/Sat/Sun is rain daytime /snow at night. Sure hoping its a little cooler and just snow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
One more storm total from SkiSE. 52 inches at Snowshoe as of March 15, 2018! Powder turns in the NC mountains too. Wisp finally got some snow as well on the backside of the storm.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 2.49.25 PM.png

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that's a huge amount of snow. Exciting late season!

Had a wonderful day at Liberty today. Not many people on a Thursday -- kids and I had group lessons that ended up being privates. There was another set of siblings that were probably of similar ability, but they were very generous and split the two families off with their own instructors -- there were many instructors without students at all. Felt fortunate they were still open. I had a truly incredible instructor, and my girls were equally happy with theirs. They were confident on every green at Liberty by the end of the day. Not bad for their second day on skis. :smile: Was very impressed by their ski school.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a wonderful day at Liberty today. Not many people on a Thursday -- kids and I had group lessons that ended up being privates. There was another set of siblings that were probably of similar ability, but they were very generous and split the two families off with their own instructors -- there were many instructors without students at all. Felt fortunate they were still open. I had a truly incredible instructor, and my girls were equally happy with theirs. They were confident on every green at Liberty by the end of the day. Not bad for their second day on skis. :smile: Was very impressed by their ski school.
Midweek group lessons are almost always a good deal. Especially for intermediate adults. Like many ski schools at small hills, the PSIA Level 2/3 instructors are pretty dedicated and they like working with someone really interested in learning.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Check out this video of powder turns . . . DEEP powder turns . . . at Snowshoe in mid-March. Going to stay cold for long enough for at least one more weekend, if not two. Plenty of people hoping that SS will extend past April 1.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Midweek group lessons are almost always a good deal. Especially for intermediate adults. Like many ski schools at small hills, the PSIA Level 2/3 instructors are pretty dedicated and they like working with someone really interested in learning.

My instructor was amazing. I assume he was PISA 2/3, as he trains other instructors. Enjoyed him both as a person and an instructor (80yo retiree, brilliant, and very talented skier). He told me to call back and request him any time and he'd take me back out. Think he enjoyed skiing with me too; he refused my tip and was quite complimentary, which was kind. Was a great day, I feel very fortunate. I will definitely go back to try to get another lesson with him if I can before the end of the season. Bought the kids the Mountain Passport for next season as well!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And yesssss, I saw that video this morning as well! Looks so amazing. And the forecast is looking better and better. /grin

marzNC

Angel Diva
My instructor was amazing. I assume he was PISA 2/3, as he trains other instructors. Enjoyed him both as a person and an instructor (80yo retiree, brilliant, and very talented skier). He told me to call back and request him any time and he'd take me back out. Think he enjoyed skiing with me too; he refused my tip and was quite complimentary, which was kind. Was a great day, I feel very fortunate. I will definitely go back to try to get another lesson with him if I can before the end of the season. Bought the kids the Mountain Passport for next season as well!
If he is training other instructors, then I'd guess he is Level 3. The differences between Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 are pretty noticeable when it comes to how much time and energy an instructor has put into learning different ways to teach ski technique skills. It's possible for an intermediate to pass the L1 exams (teaching, skiing) after one season working part-time as an instructor.

marzNC

Angel Diva
More snow for the NC/WV/VA mountains? After March 18? Yep, the forecast is calling for a few inches starting Tuesday night and into Wednesday. With temps on Thursday and Friday nights more than cold enough for snowmaking for those ski areas planning to be open for the weekend, March 24-25. Snowshoe plans to open until April 1.

No word yet from Whitetail or Liberty about a closing date. Or Wisp for that matter. All of them are in the snow zone for this week.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 8.31.54 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow! Whitetail already got 12+ inches and it's still snowing! People who buy a season pass for 2018-19 can use them for the rest of this season. Liberty and Roundtop are open too. Liberty could end up with 12 inches depending on what happens during the day as the storm moves towards the northeast.

Flights starting or ending in the region from DC to Boston will be impacted thru Thu, 3/22. We have friends flying out of DC on 3/23 to SLC for a spring break ski vacation. Hopefully they will get out as planned.

Snowing at my house near Raleigh, but not sticking. Schools in the area only delayed opening instead of closing for the day.

Whitetail Snow Report on 3/21/2018 as of 6am

FRESH POW! Need we say more? Mother Nature blessed us yesterday with between 12 and 14 inches of fresh natural powder and forecasts are calling for another 5 to 6 inches today! Powder hounds...we've left Bold Decision and Fanciful untouched for you to grab those first tracks. Pair these conditions with great deals, and you can't go wrong!!

Today we are skiing and riding from 8:30 am until 10 pm on a powder and packed powder surface with a 14-20 inch base. The weather for today calls for SNOW and a high temp of 37 degrees. All trails were groomed last night except for the Fanciful, Bold Decision, and Exhibition.

Please Note: Adventure Snowtubing is closed at this time.

If you’ve been wanting to learn how to ski or snowboard, we’ve got the deal for you! Our beginner "Learn To" package is now ONLY $49 for the remainder of the season. In addition, ALL Night Club Cards, Midweek Season Passes, and Night Season passes are valid ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, for the rest of the season! It's definitely a great time to get out and enjoy the slopes.

You can now purchase the 2018-2019 Season Pass and use it for the remainder of this season as well as next season. To purchase, just click on the Season Pass or stop by our guest service office.

Liberty Snow Report on 3/21

Wednesday 6am - The second wave of this epic spring storm is upon us! About 6" yesterday, 3" more overnight, and another 4-6" today! Winter Lives On at Liberty! 90% of the mountain open, most trails groomed overnight, but there will be fresh snow on top all day & night, great skiing and riding! Snow Tubing is now closed for the season, visit sister resort Roundtop for snow tubing fun.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Folks reported on DCSki that the storm was already making a big difference for skiing on Tuesday, 3/2o. The tricky part was the driving. Hidden Valley (near Pittsburgh) had few people given that it was midweek, but a father and his young sons enjoyed the fresh snow. There was 8+ inches by closing time at 4pm.

So all of the PA ski areas still open will be good today and tomorrow, probably during the weekend too.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
that's pretty amazing. i think the snow storm is going to miss Hunter which is sad. in NYC we're getting 12-16 inches.

i think at most Hunter will get 4-6 inches? that is what things look like for now, but i suppose we will see.

it's dumping here in NYC... if only i had my XC skis :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Took a look at the info for the other PA ski areas I've been to recently. Looks like Montage is staying open until the end of March at least, including night skiing. Locals who want to give skiing a try can go a lift ticket and rentals for $30. Elk is open but only for day skiing. Might stay open after 3/25 but no decision yet. Looks like Elk's Facebook page is where they post updates.

Elk Facebook Post
March 19, 2018

Elk Mountain will remain open to the public thru at least Sunday, March 25th. At that time we will decide whether we are going to remain open for another week and decide whether we will remain open thru Easter on April 1st and/or beyond.

Obviously this depends on the weather and people should check our website before visiting Elk Mountain. Elk is now open from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.

Montage Snow Report
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 9.26.19 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like Whitetail and Liberty are looking to go into April. Apparently Liberty had a new water source for this season. That's one reason they could take advantage of cold snaps to make plenty of snow. Much like Massanutten with more water. Whitetail is looking for a better water supply as well.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
With Whitetail looking for a better water supply, might that mean they may make some progress on a planned cruiser from the top of the express chair, that will deposit skiers on the beginner quad to get back to base? My instructor there was telling me about this trail and I would love to see it happen.

Oh how skiing into April would be fun locally...maybe someday!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh how skiing into April would be fun locally...maybe someday!
Well, turns out that Massanutten decided to extend their season again. They got 6-9 inches of snow out of the storm this week! Guess they want to be able to say that sometimes the season can go into April. Depending on the weather of course. After Monday, 3/26, the plan is to close Tue-Thu, then open for a final long weekend Fri-Sun, 3/30 thru 4/1.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have heard that Whitetail and Roundtop will close after Sunday, 3/25. Liberty plans to get in a few more days, with 3/31 as the possible last day.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Roundtop closing Sunday, with awesome snow. Liberty closing Saturday, March 31. So much snow! Too bad people just stop coming out...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga