• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lynsey Dyer's all-female ski film Pretty Faces

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know when the download version of the film will be sent out to Kick starter supporters?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pretty Faces will be at the Freeride Film Festival in early November in Amsterdam. Also starting to add screenings in Europe. From the pictures on the Unicorn Picnic Facebook page, pretty clear that dressing up as unicorn is becoming a common sight at screenings in the North America.

11/07: FREERIDE FILM FESTIVAL, Tushinski, Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS

12/05: Salenstugan Original, Salen, SWEDEN
12/05: Odeon Cinemas Braehead, Glasgow, UK

marzNC

Angel Diva
A video filmed at the SLC screening in early Oct 2014. There are comments from a few of the featured skiers about how they feel about the film.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a pretty long interview with Lyndsey done while she was in Seattle for the Oct. 16 showing. It's posted on the Eddie Bauer blog. Includes lot of pics of the audience, which was sold out at 500. Seems clear that Pretty Faces is attracting a different set of people than the usual ski movie. The concept embodied by choosing a unicorn as the symbol is working.

The summary of the movie:
"The short story is that Pretty Faces is a great ski film, incorporating everything from stories of ski-town employment to the pioneering women of freeskiing, and, giving voice to women who have been overlooked in the bro-dominated world of ski film for far too long. It tackles so many facets of ski life from a woman’s perspective, but connects on deeper, personal levels and never gets bogged down. The segments and lines are impressive and the Alaska footage is not only sick but also laced with the underlying emotion of skiing lines of a lifetime. It follows a story arc woven together expertly with skill, heart and emotion by Dyer and her crew of Unicorn Picnic Productions. The message of on-hill empowerment is strong and has resonated universally with audiences at every screening so far."

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know when the download version of the film will be sent out to Kick starter supporters?
I just got an email from Unicorn Picnic Kikstarted campaign saying that they are working on making the download version of the movie available soon.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw the Jackson Hole premiere and loved it! I had some reservations after watching the trailer, which were fully put at rest from the viewing of the feature length film. It is high energy, inspiring, and fun! Angel Collinson who is MCing the SLC event that is a few posts above mine, is definitely the next level woman skier. Her opening segment in TGR's Almost Ablaze is mind blowing. It is a shame that we do not get to see her really ride in Pretty Faces as she does not own her own footage. I know that Lyndsey is still working hard to get the DVDs made. While the crowdfunding and sponsors allowed her to make an amazing movie, I believe that she is still working on some of the debt that is part of the business of being an independent film maker. I give her an immense amount of credit for having a dream, no experience, no funding, tons of drive, and pulling off an amazing feat and great film! Oh, and the crowd around me was by far the most fired up of any I have seen for a premiere in Jackson over the past 14 years! This was my third of five premieres this fall...Pretty Faces fired up the crowd like no other movie I have been too, and that says it all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
More backstory in an article in Planet Jackson Hole. The story of the young woman who ended up being the lead editor and music supervisor is as significant as the ski footage. Hilary Byrne note that the amateur video was a special challenge.

"A call for females to submit footage of themselves having fun in the mountains enhances the “heart” aspect that Dyer was able to depict in the film. But for Byrne it contributed a layer of difficulty that action sports editors aren’t typically faced with.

“Our footage came from all over the place, which means it was all shot on different cameras by cinematographers of all skill levels,” Byrne explained. “When editing, that not only makes it hard organizationally, but aesthetically, when one shot looks immensely different from the one following it.”

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More backstory in an article in Planet Jackson Hole. The story of the young woman who ended up being the lead editor and music supervisor is as significant as the ski footage.

If I understood the story right it was her first film edit!

During the premiere all the people who worked on the film were brought up on stage and there was only one guy! Though I think a few more contributed. This film is definitely the first of its kind in a ski film industry dominated by dudes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga