• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lynsey Dyer's all-female ski film Pretty Faces

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like the work to finish the ski film Pretty Faces is going pretty well. Lynsey Dyer did an interview recently with Adventure Journal. In the August 13 article, she said

"Skiing is FUN first and foremost. It’s the most fun thing we know, that’s why we’ve dedicated our lives to it. If we can making skiing look fun enough and inspiring enough then maybe more girls will celebrate their bodies for what they can DO over what they look like. More girls might try new things and more girls might spend more time outside. And maybe young girls will see females working together, going on adventures, challenging themselves, showing that it’s okay not to be perfect and then maybe more little girls will know those things are okay for them too."

For those who haven't heard of the film, check out the Ski Diva's blog entry from Dec 2013, which includes the preview video.

https://www.theskidiva.com/lynsey-d...-all-female-ski-movie-and-she-needs-our-help/

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I can't wait for my copy to arrive in the mail this fall! I'm planning a special screening for the ski club at the all girls school I teach at.

How did you get a copy? Did you support the project on Kickstarter????

I can't wait to see this movie either! I really hope it comes to a theater near me!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check the RedBull website, they are promoting a new all-female freeride movie, called "Pure". They claim it to be the world's best. Trailer looks awesome. Starts on October 10.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I never got my copy. I guess I should check out the Kickstarter page--maybe I didn't ask for a hard copy?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I never got my copy. I guess I should check out the Kickstarter page--maybe I didn't ask for a hard copy?

Go back and check out the previous posts a little more thoroughly. I don't think any of us have gotten them yet!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't seen anything from Kickstarter about the DVDs being mailed yet. I know the SE rep is doing some Kickstarter mailings for other rewards.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a fun little contest set up to generate buzz for Pretty Faces by Skiing Magazine. Started in early Sept. There are clips that give an idea of what will be in Pretty Faces. Ends Sept. 24 I think. There are clips from several well known resorts. The winner gets a sponsorship acknowledgment in the movie. Check out the clip from Big Sky. To see Lynsey on skis, look at the Jackson Hole clip.

https://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/stomping-grounds-contest

marzNC

Angel Diva
Quite a few new screenings added to the fall tour. The updated list is on the Unicorn Picnic website.

There was a comment in the FB post that listed new screenings that anyone interested in helping to set up a screening could send email:
"All - reach out to [email protected] if you'd like to organize a tour stop. Each of these tour stops were added because local volunteers have pulled the event together, we need that to happen in any newly suggested location as well."

New Screenings sorted by geography more or less:

11/13: Grand Forks, BC @ Gem Theater

10/24: Fairbanks, AK @ University of Alaska, Schaible Auditorium
11/22: Juneau, AK @ The Gold Town Nickelodeon
11/2: North Bend, WA @ North Bend Theater
10/30: Hood River, OR @ Skylight Theater
11/28: Bear Valley, CA @ Bear Valley Lodge
11/13: Whitefish, MT @ Crush Lounge
11/7: McCall, ID @ The Alpine Playhouse
11/18: Moscow, ID @ Kenworthy Performing Arts Center

10/24: Steamboat Springs, CO @ The Chief Theater
11/8: Keystone, CO @ Warren Station
12/5: Aspen, CO @ The Wheeler Opera House

11/14: Plattsburg, NY @ Krinovitz Recital Hall
11/8: Bennington, NH @ Crotched Mountain Pub
12/5: Brunswick, ME @ Bowdoin University

marzNC

Angel Diva
Decided I wanted to see all the screenings by location.

Pretty Faces 2014 Fall Tour as of Oct. 5 (mm/dd dates added in early Oct)

11/13: Grand Forks, BC @ Gem Theater

10/24: Fairbanks, AK @ University of Alaska, Schaible Auditorium
11/22: Juneau, AK @ The Gold Town Nickelodeon
November 22, Gold Town Nickelodeon, Juneau, AK
November 26, The Sitzmark at Alyeska, Girdwood, AK

October 16, The Mountaineers , SEATTLE, WA
October 30, Backcountry Essentials, Bellingham, WA
11/2: North Bend, WA @ North Bend Theater
October 15, Volcanic Theatre Pub, Bend OR
October 22, Portland, Oregon with EVO Gear
10/30: Hood River, OR @ Skylight Theater

October 25, Brava Theatre, San Francisco, CA
11/28: Bear Valley, CA @ Bear Valley Lodge
December 7, Tahoe Art Haus Cinema, Tahoe City, CA
December 12, South Lake Tahoe, NV

November 15, Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe, NM
December 13, Taos Ski Valley, Taos, NM

October 15, Roxy Theatre, Missoula, MT
November 8, Lone Peak Cinema, Big Sky, MT
November 11, Emerson Cultural Center, Bozeman, MT
11/13: Whitefish, MT @ Crush Lounge
October 29, Egyptian Theatre, Boise, ID
11/7: McCall, ID @ The Alpine Playhouse
11/18: Moscow, ID @ Kenworthy Performing Arts Center

October 17, Pink Garter Theatre, Jackson, WY
October 8, Tower Theatre in Salt Lake City, UT
November 16, Marriott Park City, Park City, UT

10/24: Steamboat Springs, CO @ The Chief Theater
11/8: Keystone, CO @ Warren Station
November 14, with WomensMovement.com, Durango, CO
12/5: Aspen, CO @ The Wheeler Opera House

October 19, Don Thomas Sporthaus, Birmingham, MI

11/14: Plattsburg, NY @ Krinovitz Recital Hall
October 23, Outdoor Gear Exchange, Burlington, VT
11/8: Bennington, NH @ Crotched Mountain Pub
12/5: Brunswick, ME @ Bowdoin University
November 13th, Hadley Farms Meeting House, Hadley, MA

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those people on Facebook, Unicorn Picnic is creating FB Events for some of the screenings. When there is an Event page, can go there to get to a link for tickets. Can get some sense of how many people are planning to go as well. My guess is that the local host(s) are inviting their FB Friends.

For example, this is the Event page for Bennington, NH at Crotched Mountain Ski & Ride on Nov. 8, 2014.
https://www.facebook.com/events/326267704212194/

There is also an Event for Burlington, VT on Oct. 23.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another review from the world premier, dated Oct. 1, 2014. Scroll down to the bottom of the review webpage to see the comments from the owner of the theater where the Canadian premier happened. He made a very strong statement of support for Pretty Faces.

The Freeskier review (link below) includes a summary of the flow of the film:

"The storyline continues as the featured athletes talk about the skiers they looked up to as youngsters. An east coast segment segues into footage from Jackson Hole, where the athletes discuss what it takes for them to be able to live a life of skiing. They mention an assortment of odd jobs, from waitressing to window washing to firefighting. The film moves on to showcase the 2014 Nine Queens contest, along with a deep day of shredding in Brighton, Utah. The women also touch on some of the motivating factors in their careers, especially having been told that they were crazy for trying to be pro skiers and would never succeed—a lesson in determination and mental fortitude."

2014’s best ski films: Read FREESKIER’s review of Unicorn Picnic’s “Pretty Faces”

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna