• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lunchtime during COVID?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should state for full disclosure that they were the types of businesses less than full cooperation m8ght be expected. The service dept. of my Chevy dealer, the paint store and the lumber yard. Still, our county does have a mask ordinance. The rest of the state does not.

I did hear that the resort did a good job gettong mask compliance from guests this summer!
Thank you for clarifying, this is helpful. I did wonder what is the situation like at the resort and whether it may be better at the resort. Thank you for confirming that.

Jilly

Staff member
Wow..@snoWYmonkey - The CSIA has mandated masks for all events and ski schools here in Canada. But I have yet to see anything from the local snow schools...

kiki

Angel Diva
I bought a backpack to put water and food in, but the car is very far from where I ski and it is highly doubtful if I made it down to the car, and got in, that I’d get the energy to get back up again lol! The hill is too crowded usually to safely sit and eat on an edge of a run without being run over by a snowboarder, so I hope not to have to do that. With a 3 hour drive each way I hope to be able to eat in the cafeteria on mountain.

Jilly

Staff member
@kiki - if the border stays closed I would think the international tourists will not be there. And a lot of people in the east are hesitant to get on a plane. So it might not be as crowded as last year.

I've heard that snow schools are looking for instructors as many are either not coming back, or not able to get back.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow..@snoWYmonkey - The CSIA has mandated masks for all events and ski schools here in Canada. But I have yet to see anything from the local snow schools...
For sure masks will be required of guests indoors at the resort in places such as sales, ticket office, etc... They will also be required in lift lines and while loading and unloading lifts. Not sure about while dining though.

Our Tram protocol has not yet been announced.

Our county has an ordinance, but it is not enforced.

Employees will have to wear masks outdoors, but not guests. Most people do not wear them while recreating outdoors in our area.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Most people do not wear them while recreating outdoors in our area.
In NC, most people on the local trails have a buff around their neck or a mask handy but don't wear anything while walking, running, or biking. There are some who wear a face covering any time they are away from home but that's a minority. When most people get in their car after going grocery shopping, they either take off their mask then or have already taken it off.

If people are keeping their distance, there is little reason to believe that wearing a mask makes much difference outdoors. Especially if everyone is moving. Now if people stop and chat for more than a couple minutes while standing relatively close together, that's when they should have a mask handy.

In the tourist towns I've been in (NC, DC, upstate NY) often see families where part of the family has a mask on while walking on the sidewalk but the other members don't. Quite a mix, sometimes it's the children with masks but not the adults, or the women but not the men, or the grandparents but not the younger generations. However, almost all put a mask on when going into a shop. There were signs all over the place about social distancing, mask usage, and washing hands. These were places that depend heavily on tourist dollars.

kiki

Angel Diva
@kiki - if the border stays closed I would think the international tourists will not be there. And a lot of people in the east are hesitant to get on a plane. So it might not be as crowded as last year.

I've heard that snow schools are looking for instructors as many are either not coming back, or not able to get back.
I think it will be an interesting year where locals get back to the mountain. it will be interesting to see how that plays out for food and dining. locals tend to be more frugal than tourists.

On the matter of lessons, yikes! I hope they can find instructors and that I can find lesson options. Full day privates at WB are way out of my price range. They have rolled out a ski club for advanced skiers and one for over 55yrs but I qualify for neither of those. We have 4 local mountains within an hour of where I live, in addition to WB, so in the end I’ll take lessons wherever I can get them for the best value.

there are so many unknowns, I think for all of us it will be a big shift as we plan what to pack in our car, in our pockets and how we will plan our day!!! We will have to stay open minded and willing to journey through this ski season as a bit of an adventure.

Jilly

Staff member
The one advantage of the CSIA is that the same thing is taught out of all schools. So it doesn't matter if you're taking lessons in Ontario, Nova Scotia or BC. The methodology is the same. It'll be the emphasis that differs. Edging skills are more prevalent in the east because of our icy groomers. Less so out west.

kiki

Angel Diva
The one advantage of the CSIA is that the same thing is taught out of all schools. So it doesn't matter if you're taking lessons in Ontario, Nova Scotia or BC. The methodology is the same. It'll be the emphasis that differs. Edging skills are more prevalent in the east because of our icy groomers. Less so out west.
Not to get too off topic but yes, we do edging on days when it’s icy but usually more focus on other things out here. We had one really icy day where most of the lifts were closed this past year and the hill was a sheet of ice. We focused on edging all day In class and I felt safer skiing all the rest of the season having that under my belt.

On the lunch matter, I am looking for ideas for a good thermos for my backpack for soup. I’d like to bring something warm. There is a side pocket that is sized to fit a can or two of pop(beer?) . Any recommendations? I looked on amazon and there seems to be hundreds to choose from.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the lunch matter, I am looking for ideas for a good thermos for my backpack for soup. I’d like to bring something warm. There is a side pocket that is sized to fit a can or two of pop(beer?) . Any recommendations? I looked on amazon and there seems to be hundreds to choose from.

I ordered two thermoses that are very large mouth. They both have a pressure relief valve as I often find it impossible to open once the food cools and vacuum seals the container. I would be careful not to have it release and spill all over though too. I have a soft sided cooler that I will place a cloth bag with microwaved dry rice to help keep the whole thing warmer during the morning while I am skiing. I will also have a thermos with hot drinks in the soft sided cooler. Fingers crossed!

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Now if people stop and chat for more than a couple minutes while standing relatively close together, that's when they should have a mask handy.

Any one have suggestions on effective masks? I usually wear a buff, but it sounds like that may be worse than no mask at all!

Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find
Duke study finds some cotton cloth masks are about as effective as surgical masks, while thin polyester spandex gaiters may be worse than going maskless.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That study has been disputed. From NYT article:
"However, the technique they used was not a reliable way to measure particles, and it was not a statistically meaningful finding."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/well/live/coronavirus-gaiters-masks.html

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only person who needs to use the bathroom? Often.
ME TOO! I drink a LOT of water and coupled with some adult beverages...I have to pee often. I got myself a Kula Cloth (essentially a pee cloth) that I plan to keep hanging off my pack for if I have to run into the woods.

As for food...now Mr. Sly Fox have gotten into the habit of bringing chicken salad wraps and chips for lunch instead of buying overpriced chicken tenders at the cafe! It's been great and it gets us lunch for Saturday/Sundays. We'll likely just tailgate it up during lunch time.

We did hear through the grapevine that our local mountain will turn a blind eye to tailgating...so...we shall see how this year goes!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ME TOO! I drink a LOT of water and coupled with some adult beverages...I have to pee often. I got myself a Kula Cloth (essentially a pee cloth) that I plan to keep hanging off my pack for if I have to run into the woods.

As for food...now Mr. Sly Fox have gotten into the habit of bringing chicken salad wraps and chips for lunch instead of buying overpriced chicken tenders at the cafe! It's been great and it gets us lunch for Saturday/Sundays. We'll likely just tailgate it up during lunch time.

We did hear through the grapevine that our local mountain will turn a blind eye to tailgating...so...we shall see how this year goes!

A few years ago Delta Airlines hired a popular chef to revamp their in-air menu options and he wrote an article about which fresh foods are best for long hauls; whether car rides, boating, flying or skiing. #1 was a chicken salad wrap. The secret to keeping it crunchy is using romaine lettuce.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On pleasant days an outdoor lunch will do just fine but I can’t imagine stormy days being very pleasant without a lodge to warm up in. I’m thankful for everyone else’s suggestions - never even thought of eating fun the car (if I can even get there). I may have to splurge on lodging closer to the mountain sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga