• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lift Ticket Arrest

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty funny!

I know a white guy who loaned his lift pass to an African-American friend. Yes, they were caught. The white guy worked at the mountain and ended up getting fired.

Jilly

Staff member
Love it!

You see those ticket scanner are good for something ....sorry to our scanning Diva's, but most riders think you are the worst! I've always said NOT!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The scanners at Breck get a $50 "bounty" for each one they catch.

I think they well deserve it. And, I have never met a more friendly crew.

Last week my friend was having trouble with his season pass, it came it with a girls ID on the first scan and his own ID when rescanned. The scanner told us to take a run while he went and changed the card to get a new chip - he handed it back to us as we boarded the chair on the next go round. I call that Service!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly - no worries. I know we get a bad rap. I deal with all sorts of rolled eyes during the day.
Lilabear - your example is exactly how I work at Park City. I've already encountered a few passes this year that either didn't scan - I'll have the guest keep skiing and I'll go into Resort Services and get it fixed. I had one pass that had the mom's picture, but the dad's name and the child's BD would show up when I checked details. Someone in RSO really messed that one up!
I had one incident of "stupid kid" last season. Kid went into RSO and said he forgot his pass. Got the 1-day "forgotten pass" ticket. Gave his pass to his friend. I guess he didn't know that we mark a forgotten pass on-line as "hot" for the day so it can't be used. When I scanned the pass, I saw that the pic didn't match the kid with the pass. I asked, and he confessed. Duh. if the kid whose pass it really was had used the pass and given his friend the "forgotten pass" ticket, I probably would have let it slide. The kid lost his pass for the rest of the season, was fined $250, and I got a $25 bounty for catching it.
Sadly, most of the attempted frauds are parents buying a youth ticket for a kid that is too old for it. They really get upset when we catch it. It's pretty easy to do - ask a suspect kid how old they are, what year they were born. Most kids will be honest and say they are older than 12. Depending on how the parents react, they might get hauled in, or we'll offer to upgrade the ticket to an adult one. I've had 3 of those already this year.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I have to put in a good word for the scanning folks at Tremblant. I find them invariably friendly, courteous and helpful.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My only complaint is when lticket scanning is causing empty chairs to go up and there is a long lift line.

It seems to happen a lot at Mammoth when they are having trouble with their scanners.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here in Switzerland many resorts use the SkiData system ....
https://www.skidata.com/Freemotion-Gate.69.0.html?&L=1
... very reliable hands-free system.

In some resorts you still have to "put the ticket into a slot" system (not very skier friendly) and some smaller resorts have no scanners at all. The lift employees check if you have a valid ticket ....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My only complaint is when lticket scanning is causing empty chairs to go up and there is a long lift line.

It seems to happen a lot at Mammoth when they are having trouble with their scanners.
Oh yeah. When this was happening here (scanners not used last 2 years), "some" resorts just had way bigger issues with scanning than others, resulting in the above. :mad2: I go out of my way to find jackets with pass holders, currently have one in which the pass flips down from the hem and can be tucked away afterward with one sweep, with mittens, no zippers involved. With scanning, pass will NOT scan through the clear plastic cover of the pass holder, rendering it useless. Hate having a "dangling" pass, have recovered too many in the snow. (including DH's)

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the other side

We never let a chair go empty because of slow scanning. At each of our scanning lifts, we'll have 3-5 scanners, depending on the crowd. We have discretion on when to scan to a certain point. We'll get everyone at least once. If something stands out about you that we remember, you may or may not get scanned again. We'll scan ski school the first time they come through, then only rescan if the instructor picks up new clients.
Now, some issues from the scanner side:
I can't stand it when people saunter up to me and don't have their passes/tickets ready. They spend time fishing it out of their pockets or zipping down 4 layers of clothes to get the passes. I mean, come on, you had all that time in the line to get ready. As long as I can see the ticket, I'll grab it and scan it as fast as I can and get you on your way. When things are going well, I can get you scanned in a second (literally). If you've fallen and have snow on your ticket, I might have to take an extra second or two to clear the snow off of the barcode to scan.
Plastic pass holders. Sorry, MSL. I really don't like them. They cause all sorts of headaches for us. Different thickness, different clarity, different pliability - it all has it's impact on the ability of the laser scanner to accurately go though it and capture the barcode. And, if you get any condensation in there, forget it. If it's dirty, it isn't going to scan quickly. If you have it placed where the entire barcode isn't visible, it isn't gonna scan. Some of the holders built into jackets just aren't that easy for us to get to for scanning, either. The ones that pull out are usually the best. The ones built-into the zipper part of the jacket are nightmares - it's a contortion act for us to scan them. The ones on the arms are not nice, either. They are usually have crinkled plastic and the laser bounces off of them instead of going through. The DC jackets have the worst - their sleeve holders have a large "DC" logo on it, making it impossible to scan. One of the best ideas I've seen with the plastic holders is when people cut out the part of the plastic where the barcode is. That way, we can get directly to the barcode to scan.
Passes on helmets. I actually like this. People attach their passes to the goggles holder on their helmets or wrap it around the goggles themselves. The goggle strap holds the pass in place while you ski. I'll grab it, scan it, and put it back under your strap. Just don't be 7 ft. tall and try this...

It's our job. I know I take pride in how fast I can get someone scanned and on through the lift line. But, it takes a little bit on the guests' parts, too, to have a fast scanning process.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My pull-down pass holder is slightly visible in my avatar. I did not (and will not) use it when we had scanning (not for last 2 years). But if they go back to scanner use, I will try cutting the plastic to expose the bar code, something which others did when passes were scanned. Otherwise, it's a pocket-pull-out deal, and most skiers totally get the need to have passes scanned and that it's someone's job - agree about the inconvenience to you if they aren't ready when you are.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm. I usually have my pass on my pants (attached to the zipper on the pocket), so I can either slide it into the pocket when done or tuck it up into my jacket (if my powder skirt is snapped, it just stays in there).

My question is about the RF passes, is there any way to prevent transferability of those, since they are in your pocket and not taken out or manually scanned?

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL - the one in your avatar is OK with me. I can grab it and manipulate it to scan it. It might take me 3 seconds to do it, though :smile: The scanners that we use here work best if we can get about 6 inches between the pass and the scanner. I'll get into a rhythm where my arms just get the right distance and angle the pass just the right angle to scan.
Some people just aren't cut out to be scanners, either. To be honest, I've got 2 in my group right now. Sure, the pay is horrible (the lowest of the on-snow jobs) and the job isn't rocket science, but some people just can't get the hang of it. They'll try and try, but can't get a pass to scan. They'll call me over and I'll scan it on the first try. Trust me, it frustrates me, too, when I see a scanner being slow. It reflects badly on us as a whole.
We're kind of like the tax collectors of the ski industry, if you will. We have to check to be sure you paid what you were supposed to, and penalize you if you didn't. The ski corporations want to be sure that everyone who skis has paid. Let's all just get along :grouphug:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm. I usually have my pass on my pants (attached to the zipper on the pocket), so I can either slide it into the pocket when done or tuck it up into my jacket (if my powder skirt is snapped, it just stays in there).

My question is about the RF passes, is there any way to prevent transferability of those, since they are in your pocket and not taken out or manually scanned?

Funny, we were talking about just that yesterday. Park City only uses the RF passes for their "Fast Tracks" gate users. Basically, people pay extra to get a Fast Tracks pass to be able to go through the special gates and avoid the lift lines. We don't check them, it's purely honor system. Now, if you get to a gate and can't trip the gate, we'll let you through and check your pass when you get to us. It might be a bad chip, but you'll have a good barcode. We have noticed many more of the park rat riders going down the Fast Tracks lane this year. We are wondering if they are playing the "pass the pass" game. But, management has told us that we can't stop a person who has successfully gone through the FT system - don't want to upset a guest by asking if their pass is legit. The passes do have their photo on it, so we could figure it out pretty fast, just like the regular passes.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly think it's stupid that you can't let a friend borrow your ski pass if you aren't going for the day... but I guess i'm the minority

Jilly

Staff member
My season pass is on a key ring and snap in my pocket. Since we're only scanned at the bottom lifts, I just put it back in my pocket. Now tomorrow we have to down load, so the pass will only be scanned at the Gondola. So I think I just leave it on the lanyard for the day.

My new jacket has the same type of system but in the chest pocket. So that will be easier for the scanners.

I don't like the idea of lending out a pass. I don't know what the person might do and could have the pass pulled. But since my picture's on it, it wouldn't be allowed anyways. As a season pass holder I have 5 discounted tickets for friends. Plus most of our friends have the discount card - BANG or the T-66 pass, so they are covered.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly think it's stupid that you can't let a friend borrow your ski pass if you aren't going for the day... but I guess i'm the minority

Well, if you buy a pass that has the contract that only you can use it, yes, you shouldn't pass it around your friends. If you buy a pass that is transferable, then feel free to share it. PCMR has transferable passes, but they ain't cheap. They are usually purchased by businesses so they can share them with their employees. Some condo associations buy them so that their 2nd home owners can share them. Deer Valley has a locals coupon book of 5 of 10 that you can share with a friend. There is a Ski Utah pass that is usable at all Utah resorts and is transferable. If you have a spare $10,000 or so, you can buy a USSA Gold Pass. It's literally a gold medal with a barcode on it. It's fully transferable and is good for skiing at over 250 resorts in the US.
Honestly, if you read the purchase agreement you sign when you buy your pass, you are agreeing to abide by it's rules. 99% of the time, no sharing is one of those rules. If you don't like it, lobby your resort to offer an alternative.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna