• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How much to tip Private Instructor

aloha.hau

Certified Ski Diva
For my birthday I am going skiing (of course) and have decided to get my first private lesson. This is very spendy (>$600), but I would like to tip. How much is expected for a okay experience, a good experience vs a life-changing one?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy Birthday!
Just my own experience - I have tipped as little as 10% when that’s all I could afford, to 40% when the instructor carried my skis to make my hike easier. Lessons cost were between $300-$1600.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I tend not to tip instructors based on the cost of the lesson. Just because one resort charges $500 for a 3-hour lesson and another charges $1000 doesn't sway me to tip the instructor more who is working at the resort with the more expensive lesson. Not really the same thinking as for a server at a restaurant.

For a 3-hr or Full Day lesson that is semi-private with friends, the number of people doesn't really change what I tip either. All my friends tip. So the instructor generally gets more than if I were taking the lesson solo.

I tend to tip in cash. I bring along enough money that I can make a decision about the amount at the end of the lesson. For a 2-hour private lesson the range for me is from $20-50, depending on the situation.

aloha.hau

Certified Ski Diva
I tend not to tip instructors based on the cost of the lesson. Just because one resort charges $500 for a 3-hour lesson and another charges $1000 doesn't sway me to tip the instructor more who is working at the resort with the more expensive lesson. Not really the same thinking as for a server at a restaurant.

For a 3-hr or Full Day lesson that is semi-private with friends, the number of people doesn't really change what I tip either. All my friends tip. So the instructor generally gets more than if I were taking the lesson solo.

I tend to tip in cash. I bring along enough money that I can make a decision about the amount at the end of the lesson. For a 2-hour private lesson the range for me is from $20-50, depending on the situation.
My plan was also to bring a few 20's. I wish instructors did Venmos/Zelle. It would make things easier.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My plan was also to bring a few 20's. I wish instructors did Venmos/Zelle. It would make things easier.
Just to say, I paypal my instructor - and he doesn't have an issue with that. So some are open to other forms of payment. I mean, the mountain is cashless as it is, so it's not strange that they've had to work it out in other ways.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where I work most experienced instructors find 10% to be mediocre, 15% to be average, 20% good and anything above that great.

If the lesson costs are high chances are that the cost of living is super high. Rooms for rent in a shared house start at $1,800 where I live.

Most resorts pay their staff a max cut of 30 per cent after many many years of training and certifications, with 10% shares of lesson costs being the norm when starting out. These are the larger well known resorts.

We don't get health insurance and have to show up and stand around even when there are no lessons to be had and get paid for a half hour on those days. Some are lucky enough to have remote work they can do until the lunch time line up, most don't.

For a one time lesson many of us have low expectations. If and when the clientele becomes regular the amount becomes more important and is often a factor when deciding which students get first dibs booking busy holidays.

Sadly, tips for most experienced career instructors represent a large part of our income, just the same as it does for wait staff. Almost all of my colleagues keep notes and when trying to find someone to cover a lesson, tip amounts are mentioned because even a day of no tips when a full time season is about 90 days can hurt.

I have had students who did not tip for years as they did not know to. You are way ahead of the curve to even ask.

Is that for a full day lesson? If so it is still less than a half day where I work. Have you requested a level 2 or 3 or DECL instructor? Lesson costs are the same for the guest no matter what the qualifications of the instructor are. Make sure to ask for the best!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Many instructors do Venmo. Just ask. My preference is cash because for me it's quicker. I started tipping instructors when my started ski school in 2005, so can remember to bring extra cash just for tips.

Cash can also be helpful when doing a group dinner when the restaurant doesn't split checks. Learned that long ago when doing business travel to professional conferences.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've encountered more instructors passing out their business cards at the end of a lesson lately with both their ski school contact info so you can request them if/ when you return as well as their Venmo info on it. But good to have some cash on hand just in case.

KayOss

Certified Ski Diva
I've encountered more instructors passing out their business cards at the end of a lesson lately with both their ski school contact info so you can request them if/ when you return as well as their Venmo info on it. But good to have some cash on hand just in case.
I recently saw the instructor handing out his card with a QR code to make it even easier for electronic transactions!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where I work most experienced instructors find 10% to be mediocre, 15% to be average, 20% good and anything above that great.

If the lesson costs are high chances are that the cost of living is super high. Rooms for rent in a shared house start at $1,800 where I live.

Most resorts pay their staff a max cut of 30 per cent after many many years of training and certifications, with 10% shares of lesson costs being the norm when starting out. These are the larger well known resorts.

We don't get health insurance and have to show up and stand around even when there are no lessons to be had and get paid for a half hour on those days. Some are lucky enough to have remote work they can do until the lunch time line up, most don't.

For a one time lesson many of us have low expectations. If and when the clientele becomes regular the amount becomes more important and is often a factor when deciding which students get first dibs booking busy holidays.

Sadly, tips for most experienced career instructors represent a large part of our income, just the same as it does for wait staff. Almost all of my colleagues keep notes and when trying to find someone to cover a lesson, tip amounts are mentioned because even a day of no tips when a full time season is about 90 days can hurt.

I have had students who did not tip for years as they did not know to. You are way ahead of the curve to even ask.

Is that for a full day lesson? If so it is still less than a half day where I work. Have you requested a level 2 or 3 or DECL instructor? Lesson costs are the same for the guest no matter what the qualifications of the instructor are. Make sure to ask for the best!
^^^^^
(Me, speaking as the wife of a long-time instructor who hung up full-time teaching as it was no longer paying the bills.)

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me it depends on the length of the lesson. Also depends somewhat on whether I'm a regular client of the instructor or a one off.
Example--this past weekend I took a 1.5 hour private with an instructor that I hadn't had before. My norm for this situation/timing is $20. If the lesson had been not worthwhile then I might have give a bit less and if it was absolutely amazing then more.
It was a good lesson so I stuck with my $20 plan. I will likely request him in the future for similar length lessons so I will plan for at least $20 and likely a bit more if I get a really helpful breakthrough/tip/drill etc during the lesson.

If you get established with an instructor that you get on well with and you make good progress over the course of your lessons then it's nice to give a larger amount I think.

When I was taking all day lessons with a regular instructor over the course of several days on vacation then the tip was a few hundred dollars. This was with an instructor I worked with for many years.

As already mentioned above, try to request an L3 or at least L2 cert instructor. Private lessons are very expensive so best to set your self up for the best experience. That's not a knock on L1 instructors, but the L2 and 3 will have more experience and likely better able to help pick out and help solve issues in your skiing.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
I say tip as much as you can afford! Ski instructors are shockingly low paid in comparison with the lesson cost! Do follow advice to get a full cert instructor - they are going to be the most experienced in movement analysis and will therefore be better placed to assess and work on your skiing.
In any event, if you can, I’d say $100 would be a good midpoint for a good private lesson if you can swing it, but I’d say anything you do would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna