• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many skis to own?

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's how it starts, you have one and then think OK I need narrower or fatter to add to my quiver. Then you have 2 and it just branches out from there. I highly recommend demoing skis. I don't always demo as it's not always an option. I have been skiing for 11 years now so I have a pretty good sense of what I like/don't like. I have no issue selling if I don't like like them. There's no magic number as to how many to have. Some are parfectly happy with just one pair and it's all good.

If you never demo you also never have the opportunity to be blown away by something you might not think would be your jam either. I usually have a good idea of what I'll like and dislike in a ski at this point too.. but a ski that wows me and wasn't on my radar or that I hated a past iteration of and love this time around?? Those are the really cool ones to find, it feels like opening a gift you didn't know you wanted really badly on Christmas morning. :yahoo:

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you never demo you also never have the opportunity to be blown away by something you might not think would be your jam either. I usually have a good idea of what I'll like and dislike in a ski at this point too.. but a ski that wows me and wasn't on my radar or that I hated a past iteration of and love this time around?? Those are the really cool ones to find, it feels like opening a gift you didn't know you wanted really badly on Christmas morning. :yahoo:

100 percent. I just meant that demo opps aren't always available and if I'm after/curious about a ski and the price is right I'm all over it. I'm a demo wh@re and by all means if the opportunity presents itself I'm there. Those suprises are THE best.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Factions were 100% a not on my radar ski that I ended up with. And total shout out to the guys at Potter Bros. at Killington who took the time to really listen to the feedback I had on all the skis I had demoed thus far, which led them to recommend the Agent.

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked the kenja 88 for hard pack. They are grippy. And then they can plow through Sierra cement & spring slush.
I demo the prodigy, and they are more of a bump ski for me. I did not like them on the hard pack icy groomers at all. They definitely chattered, and my feet were vibrating!! Ugh I hate that feeling
Yess I definently noticed that and am not in love with them because of that lol. Thinking of giving them to or at least letting my little sister use them primarily since she doesn’t have anyI’ll have to try out the kenjas sometime. The mindbender 85’s would be perfect if they had a little more edge or turned a little easier (may just be me needing to progress)…at least for the cost I got them at $180 without bindings they feel great. But still desiring more between having just those and the prodigy’s

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
demo demo demo.. what one skier loves another dislikes. for instance.. I personally am not a volkl fan (too stiff and plankish for me) I love a ski that "pops" but then I've been skiing for decades, I can ski my Liberty 76's in piles of snow. My Renoun z90's are my 'buicks' they go anywhere- although my old knees can feel the difference laying 90 over vs 76. My new lusting for/ want is for the Stockli CX 69 under foot, they skied like I had roller blades on.. What a blast- yes I like speed and fast turns. I have Sheeva 10's (that I'm missing now out west in over a foot of snow)

One thing I can say there are different 'speeds' and different performance on skis. the Atomic Cloud series for instance.. the lower # the tamer (more forgiving) the ski. The low number's do not go fast- even if put straight down the fall line. Perfect for someone not looking for speed.. The higher number they get very racy and the 'sweet spot' is very small, you're on them or could get bucked off. The 22nd I will be demoing a bunch of skis, sure I'll report, but if you don't ski like I do, I don't think you'd like my skis. I do try skis from beginner model up to race level so I can 'try' and help others. Yes, Reading reviews is fun and interesting but even if you check the stats of the skier most are ex racers so that may not be the ski for you. Hope you can demo a bunch on the conditions you mostly ski..
Yes I def want to demo skis when I get the chance, it’s tough living in Ohio primarily where the only ski place sucks so I don’t feel like even if I demo’d their limited selection (which demo day got booked up anyways) it wouldn’t be the terrain I hope to ski more on in future. But yes def would love to try a bunch. Funny you mentioned the stokli’s… I’m at Tahoe now and was in the shop and the Mx lasers caught my eye and made me reallyyy want to buy them…. They look so fun but my bank account would be hurting after this 2 wk trip plus those skis I also don’t know if I could fully appreciate them as a beginner/intermediate skier but the desire to try them is overwhelming. Especially since I get anxious trying to make short turns skiing on trail around a lot of people in my current skis. They seem great for that

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get the demos. And then clearly you need the narrow skis, there's a whole thread here about how good narrow skis are for you.
I’m craving some narrow skies. My knees get tired trying to turn my 85’s all day which isn’t even that wide

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
I have 2017 Volkl Yumi that I still have a blast on.
2019 Black Crows Captis Birdie
And a new pair of Nordica Unleashed 98s are being shipped to me!!!

I've been debating a 3rd ski for awhile, so I'm excited. Now just need to decide on bindings.
How do you like the Unleashed? I also have the 2017 Yumis and I do still love them. Unsuccessfully looking for the perfect replacement. Haven’t seen too many comments on Unleashed but it’s supposed to basically be a softer enforcer?

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
@slow_biscuits I have probably 20 days on the unleashed 98 and really like them so far. I was looking for something that was playful but didn’t make me feel too bounced around if there was some chopped up crud. I’m 5’6” 170 lbs and ski the 174.
Do you think they ski a little shorter with all that rocker? I’m your same weight. But 5’11”. I know that length is probably ok for me but haven’t skied anything longer than 173 (at least since my skinny skis from 1992 haha).

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you think they ski a little shorter with all that rocker?

They definitely ski short and don’t feel long or cumbersome. I haven’t measured the exact effective edge but they are very pivoty and easy to turn, at the same time they feel like they have enough stability to inspire confidence if I rip a fast groomer or encounter a chopped up bowl. According to my family they also kick up a great rooster tail… lol The other skis in my quiver are a Kastle mx84 limited in 160 and a Blizzard Sheeva 11 in 180. The unleashed 98 replaced a DPS cassair a94 in 165 that just felt a little “not enough” when I wanted to be able to push.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m craving some narrow skies. My knees get tired trying to turn my 85’s all day which isn’t even that wide
I'm w/you @Rachel614. This is why I just bought the Liberty V76 w (used). I also have the Stockli Laser MX in 167, but we didn't have the conditions this year to use it much. I sprang for the Vertis Birdie (85) for next season to go along w/my Volkl Blaze 86's which will be in their 5th season in 24/25. My knees don't like anything over 86 -- I love to turn, turn, turn and that gets wearing, especially in our eastern ice. I just skied a lot of western "ice" last week (on the Blazes) and my knees are still barking at me.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I'm w/you @Rachel614. This is why I just bought the Liberty V76 w (used). I also have the Stockli Laser MX in 167, but we didn't have the conditions this year to use it much. I sprang for the Vertis Birdie (85) for next season to go along w/my Volkl Blaze 86's which will be in their 5th season in 24/25. My knees don't like anything over 86 -- I love to turn, turn, turn and that gets wearing, especially in our eastern ice. I just skied a lot of western "ice" last week (on the Blazes) and my knees are still barking at me.
Have you taken the Liberty's out? I also bought them this year and skied them in Austria for a week and was happy on them, but find if I am swapping them out with my Nela 88's I tend to like them less. Not sure if I don't get as forward on them or if I should have purchased one length longer.....

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't get the chance, @edelweissmaedl . I was specifically looking for something for next season and didn't have a chance to get the bindings adjusted before my "close of season" western trip last week.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
How do you like the Unleashed? I also have the 2017 Yumis and I do still love them. Unsuccessfully looking for the perfect replacement. Haven’t seen too many comments on Unleashed but it’s supposed to basically be a softer enforcer?
I love the Unleashed. They did great when I went to Steamboat on most every condition. There was snow every day and one 12" heavy snow powder day and they did a great job staying composed in chop. They also were very maneuverable in trees and bumps. I was very impressed. They are absolutely perfect for my ski style. I like to ski advanced terrain, but I don't ski super fast.

Just like Sarah XC I am also 5'6" and am around 160 pounds. I ski the 168 and have never felt they skied too short. I felt very confident on them.

MermaidKelly

Diva in Training
I currently have Rossignol Experience 76, in 152. I recently bought my next ski, Pandora 84 in 159. I am not sure when to switch yet. Probably sometime mid season. I am hoping I made the right choice for length. I'm 5'7" and weigh around 180lbs, so I'm hoping 159 is long enough. The next size would have been 165. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice. I really can't afford to buy another pair of spare skis. :jumphappy:

I still would be categorized as a beginner, so hopefully my new skis won't be too short for me to start progressing towards blues. I'm already starting to think of a third ski, but it's probably way too soon to think about. Eventually though I'll have to make a large jump in length. Pandora skis are changing this year, shifting lengths and widths. So a next ski for me could be a Pandora 85 in 168 or a Pandora 92 in 168. Either way that's a 9 centimeter jump from the ones I will be skiing on. (The current ones come in 165, but the redesigned ones come in 168.) Maybe I'm worrying over nothing and a few years down the road I'll find a good fit for me!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga