• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many skis to own?

tothetrail

Certified Ski Diva
What do you like about each? I’m having such a hard time deciding which pair should be my 3rd!
The Black Crows are super light. I can easily carry them when needed. They are lovely in powder, perfect for the backcountry, but super chattery on ice or hard packed groomers.

The Volkls are probably a little more ski than I should have gotten. I'm beginning to feel a little more confident with them, but really looking forward to a private ski week with friends in Taos in March. But they were really nice with all the ice in Steamboat opening week this season, even being somewhat wide. But I have practically turned them into rock skis after Mammoth over New Years, but they should be able to be repaired. I was doing fine until I found myself on a particularly sharp clump of rocks on a little rise, completely covered, so I didn't have any chance to avoid it. I did a bunch or research and decided to get something I could learn/grow into. But after a few seasons, I'm still happy. I was wavering between these and the Black Pearls at the time.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bromley has a good demo fleet so I'm going to create my own demo day in the next month or so

Plan to demo

Elan Ripstick
Atomic Maven
Blizzard Sheeva 9
Kendo 88 if available
Head Rally
Stockli Montero AR
Stockli Laser SC

I don't plan to buy anything but often pull the trigger over the summer when skis are at their cheapest.

I bought my Head Super Joys last summer and they are now one of my top skis.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Black crow camox birdie 2020? I think
Volkl kenja 2024
Nordic nemesis 2013 ish? . Don’t try to say this 3 times while consuming adult beverages, it doesn’t come out pretty. Ask Phil with ski talk! Hahaha. I have maybe 20 days on these skis and still keep hanging on to them

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my renoun Z90s they have many days on them. I will buy the Renoun unisex 88's most likely
Wondering What length are yours for sale? Price? Bindings mounted? for what BSL? Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed reply -- I was skiing. :smile:

I don't have them w/me but I can tell you specifically next weekend. I believe they are a 161 or thereabouts. Skied only twice. Bindings are new and good quality -- I'm guessing, but I think they are Attack 13. I'll post stats this weekend for anyone who might be interested. They are the "beet" color w/white bindings (b/c colors matter :smile:) I can't recall the BSL b/c they were set for my old boots that I replaced this season. For point of reference, my old boots were Lange RX110 LV, size 24.5.

I really liked the feel of the skis, i.e., great vibration absorption. The thing I didn't like is the wide shovel. My right foot turns in slightly and I'm very wary of my tips interfering as a result. I had one minor fall on them that unfortunately ended in a slight injury (acute calf muscle strain) and I think it was due to the wider shovel. At any rate, I'm now irrationally superstitious and I don't really have any desire to get on them again.

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Crows are super light. I can easily carry them when needed. They are lovely in powder, perfect for the backcountry, but super chattery on ice or hard packed groomers.

The Volkls are probably a little more ski than I should have gotten. I'm beginning to feel a little more confident with them, but really looking forward to a private ski week with friends in Taos in March. But they were really nice with all the ice in Steamboat opening week this season, even being somewhat wide. But I have practically turned them into rock skis after Mammoth over New Years, but they should be able to be repaired. I was doing fine until I found myself on a particularly sharp clump of rocks on a little rise, completely covered, so I didn't have any chance to avoid it. I did a bunch or research and decided to get something I could learn/grow into. But after a few seasons, I'm still happy. I was wavering between these and the Black Pearls at the time.
Nice thanks for sharing!! Yea my prodigy’s are awesome but def a little chattery on packed snow and ice so looking for something solid to have also. Leaning towards Volkls just not sure which model yet… Taos looks fun!

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bromley has a good demo fleet so I'm going to create my own demo day in the next month or so

Plan to demo

Elan Ripstick
Atomic Maven
Blizzard Sheeva 9
Kendo 88 if available
Head Rally
Stockli Montero AR
Stockli Laser SC

I don't plan to buy anything but often pull the trigger over the summer when skis are at their cheapest.

I bought my Head Super Joys last summer and they are now one of my top skis.
Keep us posted how demoing those guys! I’m trying hard to not buy any skis til summer lol

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
1000006971.jpg

Friends, I got the big new job, the one where I said if I got it I would buy those Season Kin skis! But now the question is buy new ones, or buy the demo pair with demo bindings from the shop at my local hill so I can make my husband and whoever else try them, too, and understand their joy??? (And if I buy the demo set, can I justify ALSO buying a set of sub-80 carvers with metal for ice???)
#firstworldproblems :rotf:

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I'd go for the demos. I know not everyone likes demo bindings, but then you can play with mount point, share, etc. If you skied them with demo bindings and liked the way they skied, why mess with a good thing? And you won't have to decide on what bindings to buy.
I like this thinking. And not just because this plan means I might be able to get them this weekend. Hahaha

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
And, I like your thinking about the demos really as almost kind of your husband’s potential skis, so absolutely, the narrow carvers are a go, right?

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get the demos. And then clearly you need the narrow skis, there's a whole thread here about how good narrow skis are for you.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
N+2 is the new magic equation!
That is my long term downsizing goal and a great equation. The stiff narrow boards for groomers, the mid/low width for everything including big bumps and sub 6 inch powder, and then the soft and long pow boards. Which one becomes the rock ski that gets replaced most often is the big question.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you like about each? I’m having such a hard time deciding which pair should be my 3rd!
demo demo demo.. what one skier loves another dislikes. for instance.. I personally am not a volkl fan (too stiff and plankish for me) I love a ski that "pops" but then I've been skiing for decades, I can ski my Liberty 76's in piles of snow. My Renoun z90's are my 'buicks' they go anywhere- although my old knees can feel the difference laying 90 over vs 76. My new lusting for/ want is for the Stockli CX 69 under foot, they skied like I had roller blades on.. What a blast- yes I like speed and fast turns. I have Sheeva 10's (that I'm missing now out west in over a foot of snow)

One thing I can say there are different 'speeds' and different performance on skis. the Atomic Cloud series for instance.. the lower # the tamer (more forgiving) the ski. The low number's do not go fast- even if put straight down the fall line. Perfect for someone not looking for speed.. The higher number they get very racy and the 'sweet spot' is very small, you're on them or could get bucked off. The 22nd I will be demoing a bunch of skis, sure I'll report, but if you don't ski like I do, I don't think you'd like my skis. I do try skis from beginner model up to race level so I can 'try' and help others. Yes, Reading reviews is fun and interesting but even if you check the stats of the skier most are ex racers so that may not be the ski for you. Hope you can demo a bunch on the conditions you mostly ski..

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I went out to my ski area last weekend and the demos had a tag with someones name on them and they couldn't sell them to me. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh. (I am not entirely unconvinced that the tag was the name of the guy WHO I TALKED TO ON THE PHONE EARLIER THAT WEEK ABOUT BUYING THEM but whatever. I am such a type A person, and sometimes ski people are just NOT type A people and it's hard for me. hahahahahaha)

But then they went on sale at Evo this week, for like $150 off the 2024 flat, and I decided to just order new ones and get them mounted with bindings at my local shop, so yay!!!! Quiver of 2, here I come.

Now to continue formulating my plan to add a sub-80 carver to my team... N+1!

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice thanks for sharing!! Yea my prodigy’s are awesome but def a little chattery on packed snow and ice so looking for something solid to have also. Leaning towards Volkls just not sure which model yet… Taos looks fun!
I liked the kenja 88 for hard pack. They are grippy. And then they can plow through Sierra cement & spring slush.
I demo the prodigy, and they are more of a bump ski for me. I did not like them on the hard pack icy groomers at all. They definitely chattered, and my feet were vibrating!! Ugh I hate that feeling

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's how it starts, you have one and then think OK I need narrower or fatter to add to my quiver. Then you have 2 and it just branches out from there. I highly recommend demoing skis. I don't always demo as it's not always an option. I have been skiing for 11 years now so I have a pretty good sense of what I like/don't like. I have no issue selling if I don't like like them. There's no magic number as to how many to have. Some are parfectly happy with just one pair and it's all good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga