• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you feel about people leavings their skis on the ground outside the lodge?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It used to be something that was commonly done by the race kids on the mountain, but it seems to have become much more widespread. Me, I positively hate it. I find it just plain inconsiderate, and it's a real safety hazard. Every time I see this, I'm tempted to chuck them off to the side (I don't). So what are your thoughts? Is it a problem where you ski? Or do you think I'm overreacting and should just chill out?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
It bothers me, but maybe not as much as you. It does feel inconsiderate, and that does bug me. Bottom line is you're allowed to feel annoyed by it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Doesn’t really bother me unless blocking my way to lodge or lifts. Don’t really see a lot of that unless no room in racks.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It doesn't bother me unless they are in the way of accessing the stairs/pathway or racks. If people pull off to the side somewhere out of the way and leave them on the ground I'm fine with it. In fact I've done it. I wouldn't leave them in a busy area though and I normally do use the racks as I typically lock my skis.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In recent years I have noticed this trend. People are becoming focused on what is easy and "convenient" , without regard to the bigger picture. At the smaller resorts I have seen less of this behavior mostly due to racks with fewer skis slotted. Bigger resorts can be more crowded; people in a hurry to pee, get into line for food, save seats at a table ( hate that ), etc. Sometimes these on-snow skis tend to find themselves with other parked pairs in groupings off to the side of ingress/egress areas, which is the better thought process, however I have seen some of these parking lots expand to the point of stupidity.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to see a lot of it when there would be races and the ski team kids would just leave all their skis everywhere. I have not been up on a race day in awhile, so don't really know if it persists. Or perhaps snowbasin has addressed it, they have added a lot more racks at the base area near the lodge, so maybe.

For me its always been a minor annoyance, it is irritating to have to step over many pairs of skis.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I find it annoying in general when I see it. There is one spot at Sunday River though that it really grates on my nerves to a bigger degree because it causes a safety issue. This season with the new configuration and lift at Barker, people have been leaving their skis on the ground further and further away from the lodge some days.. in a spot where you need to ski back over to the lift from some of the trails. While you are skiing back, others are skiing in the opposite direction as you and I have had times where I am forced to weave through skis or come to a stop and have to then push or skate extra to get to the lift because there are so many skis on the ground and people just milling about totally clueless they are blocking traffic. I’ve done my fair share of grumbling under my breath about it when I find myself there and I am not careful when I end up in a situation that I need to skate through skis all over the ground. If skis or poles get kicked in the process, so be it. People are so lazy.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
There is one spot at Sunday River though that it really grates on my nerves to a bigger degree because it causes a safety issue. This season with the new configuration and lift at Barker,
Yes! I spend a lot of time at Barker since that is where our locker is. I have overheard those who are ready to don their rock skis and ski over everything, kicking the debris as they go!

Southridge can be quite an experience too if you need to make it to the lodge/shop.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's only one place I can think of that is seems ok- at the Whistlestop midmountain lodge in Taos. There are few racks there, and the skis are left on the ground in a fairly orderly fashion and in a set location. They do not block access to the racks or the lodge. But other places where racks are open and the skis on the ground become an obstacle course and a hazzard, I hate it.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where I ski, I see it mostly where there are literally no racks in front of the least expensive pizza slice joint at the base. Other times are when the racks are full, but even then I see people stacking their skis against other people's skis. Sometimes the groms drop their skis on the snow en masse, but not too often. We, humans, are most lemming like in our behavior though, and it seems like when one person starts the trend, others are bound to follow. Would be so fun to go around and mis match the pairs (yes I am that evil prankster, in thought only though, too chicken to deal with the real world repercussions)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've noticed quite a variation between regions and even specific destination resorts when it comes to how often people leave skis on the ground in front of ski racks that have plenty of open slots. Where I ski most often, the southeast and Rockies (NM, CO, UT, MT), differed from Michigan and the northeast.

I've seen/heard an instructor or race coach tell their students to leave skis on the snow because racks are full and they are only taking a quick restroom break. In those instance, the skis are rarely in the way of walking into a mid-mountain lodge.

I'm annoyed when I see someone (not always a kid) leave their skis (or snowboard) right in the way on the ground when a empty spot on a rack is not that far away.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
It seems to be the norm in Europe, well, France anyway. I was just at Val d"Isère/Tignes and and skis were left lying everywhere outside restaurants. Mind you there seemed to be a lack of racks, though I always tried to at least prop mine up somewhere. At home I ALWAYS lock my skis but it seems no one in Europe does. I've no idea if this leads to more theft/picking-up-the-wrong-skis or not. Actually, come to think of it, I see quite a few pairs lying on the ground at the north side base of Tremblant. Sigh. I think I AM getting old and crotchety!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I don’t like it. It isn’t a huge problem at our home hill. There are plenty of racks and the norm is to rack’em, so people do. BUT. I don’t go on the HS club nights AND I’ve been to places where I see it a lot.

Beyond the obvious (courtesy, etc), I don’t understand why you WOULD just leave your things on the ground. like, why would you treat your precious skis that way?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna