• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting Fit

skiwall

Diva in Training
Last night I went to this anti-gravity yoga class. It was totally amazing. You can't do it in very many cities, but if you happen to live in Chicago, New York, LA, Miami, or Salt Lake (Which of these things is not like the other?), you should totally try it. I think it would be great for core strength.

Mafia_Princess

Certified Ski Diva
I'm on week 5 of p90x. Fellow supervisors have told me they think I look healthier than I've ever been. I usually go int othe ski season chubby, and loose it by then end. This year I'm at my end of the season weight now. So here's hoping for a fantastic season :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spent the summer doing swim/bike/run. Then this fall I've been almost entirely focused on running up to 4-5 times per week with a bit of other random stuff thrown in. I know I'm in the best shape I've ever been in going into the season so I'm looking forward to a good, strong season.

Christy

Angel Diva
My gym usually offers a great ski fitness class twice a week in the evening--not only has it gotten me in shape for skiing, but it's just a great, hard class. This year they offer it at 9 AM Monday and Wednesday. ??? Who can go to that....unemployed people? That can't afford to ski? (Yes I do know some people don't work 8-5. But judging by how busy the gym in on weekdays compared to weekday mornings, when I used to go when I was a grad student, most of us do work 8-5).

skiwall

Diva in Training
My gym usually offers a great ski fitness class twice a week in the evening--not only has it gotten me in shape for skiing, but it's just a great, hard class. This year they offer it at 9 AM Monday and Wednesday. ??? Who can go to that....unemployed people? That can't afford to ski? (Yes I do know some people don't work 8-5. But judging by how busy the gym in on weekdays compared to weekday mornings, when I used to go when I was a grad student, most of us do work 8-5).

I was going to say.... pretty much only grad students and ski bums could go to that class! : )

Although personally, I would not because I like for my adviser to see that I'm at work.

C

CMCM

Core work / yoga / pilates, all at home
Weights at the gym when I can
Skier's edge...a LOT of that right now! This strengthens the legs and develops endurance

F&M

Certified Ski Diva
So my gym is offering a "PiYo" class, a combination of pilates and yoga. I've never done either.... Can anyone comment on PiYo vs. a regular yoga class?

Christy

Angel Diva
You know. there are so many kinds of yoga, and even so much variation in Pilates classes depending on the teacher, you might just have to go and check that one out yourself. I could see where it could be a great workout or it could be geared for old people.

I LOVE Pilates and do 1 or 2 classes a week, but I pick my classes carefully--some at my gym are just too easy. The ones I love are fast paced and athletic (one has a very stern Russian teacher. "I do not accept bent knees!" "Who said you can rest? You rest when class is done." I love it.)

F&M

Certified Ski Diva
LOL. Thanks, Christy! I'll ask about who the classes are geared for and that should give me an idea. I don't know any of the instructors yet...I don't see any Russian names though... :D

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do a combo spin/pilates class on Fridays that I love. It's 40 minutes of spin, followed by 20 minutes of pilates. The pilates is fairly low-level, but I like it since it's a way to force myself to do some core work (I really hate it and won't do it on my own 90% of the time). We typically do about 1/3 stretching work, 2/3 core strengthening with planks, push-ups, crunches, etc. It really does depend on the instructor, our regular instructor is great, but we had a sub a couple of weeks ago who really stunk.

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bike all summer long, but the end of October - November is a problem. I hate going to the gym, and can't motivate myself to go.

So this year I bit the bullet and went for personal training. It's intensive weight training, which is agony. They work you to the point of complete muscle fatigue. On the plus side, the workouts are short, and I'm already seeing some actual upper body strength, which I never had before.

NH ite

Certified Ski Diva
Yup, I feel like a slug. This board appears to be comprised of super-athletes! marathons.... Hmmm. Just have to do the best I can. Run up and down the stairs over and over. I did get into the pool Friday!
Still scaring/exciting ...skiing two weeks away....:doh:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been doing pilates and dry land skiing drills, with some jump rope thrown in from time to time.
The pilates has been great for flexibility and core strength.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last night I went to this anti-gravity yoga class. It was totally amazing. You can't do it in very many cities, but if you happen to live in Chicago, New York, LA, Miami, or Salt Lake (Which of these things is not like the other?), you should totally try it. I think it would be great for core strength.
This looks fun - I really want to try it! I'm not sure how expensive it is though, and I already go to 24Hour fitness so I don't want to spend too much elewhere.

I am usually super lazy off season, but I've been trying to get to the gym to do cardio and weight machines. I have to say, just did my first (partial) day of skiing and it really did make a difference. I had much less trouble with "thigh burn" and getting winded than I normally do when I start out.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
running, trail and distance, with occasional long bikes rides, have built my cardio fitness.

At my age, I need to do weights and strength training, but I'm a slacker. I hate 'going' to classes. I prefer to run.

You Divas have inspired me...I'll try to reform my slacker core/muscle training regime.

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About five years ago I switched from distance running to strength training and high intensity intervals, and I was amazed how well I did first day on snow. Nothing was tired by the end of the day and nothing was sore the next day (or the day after)!

The training I was doing was "sport-specific" training for ultimate (frisbee), but I realized then that it was also specific to skiing.

Hang cleans, squats, Romanian deadlifts, planks, glute work, and alternating running fast then walking on a treadmill. With a dynamic warmup to get the ankles, hips and thoracic spine moving properly.

That's still my approach, although I've been a bit lazier this year than normal. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have any snow to ski on yet - gives me a couple weeks to get my strength back to proper levels. Off to the gym... :smile:

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been going on the treadmill, bicycle, plus weight lifting such as leg presses, upper arm exercises. I have done some crunches as well. I also did hikes (9-12miles) during the summer time and bike rides outside (12-20 miles). This year I have lost 20-22 pounds since January. At least going into the season, I feel more in shape than last season. I even needed new ski pants!!!!:yahoo:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna