• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting Fit

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am taking the coolest functional fitness/ski conditioning class. One of our local PT facilities also has trainers on staff, and they do these classes.

It's circuit of core/strength/balance/plyometrics. We do stability ball, bosu ball, weights, and quad mill circuits. It has been a total blast.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I try to do a fairly strenuous walk several times a week (gotta have some hills). I do yoga regularly (and have for over 10 years). Sometimes if it's truly nasty outside, I run up and down the stairs in my house to get a bit of an aerobic workout. And at the moment, I'm continuing to work on my sore shoulder (which has improved a lot since last spring, but still isn't 100 percent).

I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I know that no matter what, the first day or so out will mean some sore muscles. Then, when I first do x-c skiing, other sore muscles. And if I do x-c skate skiing (don't do too much of that, but occasionally) still different soreness.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Taking the stairs instead of the elevator .... and walking as much as possible. And in summer I did a lot of mountainbiking.
I never do any other special exercises for the ski fitness ....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Les Mills classes.
Body Step, Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Flow.
:doh:
I am soooo tired!! Ski season had better get underway SOON. It's SO much more relaxing (not to mention scenic, ha) than this!!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Train for a marathon? :duck:

Seriously, though, between triathlon training in the summer and training for my first marathon in January, I don't have time for ski-specific training, I just take the benefits that I'm getting from all my cross-training! :becky:

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running, squats, crunches & some weights. Also (and this probably sounds stupid) I do ddr - lots of quick steps and jump combinations. I figure this last one has to help make my feet quicker and improve balance.

skipink

Certified Ski Diva
Training for a half marathon. Core workout 3 days a week, run 3 days, maybe bike some, lots of squats.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Training for a quarter marathon. Taking the stairs. Tonight, after class, I also ran up and down the stairs at school a bit... plus jumped down a few flights. :D

F&M

Certified Ski Diva
Crunches, back extensions, squats, and all the PT stuff I have to do for my knee. (It's really tedious, but if you want to get specific muscles ready, it can be really effective.)

Elliptical for endurance, throw in the stationary bike occasionally for variety.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running, squats, crunches & some weights. Also (and this probably sounds stupid) I do ddr - lots of quick steps and jump combinations. I figure this last one has to help make my feet quicker and improve balance.

I love DDR
I also take a Pilates ski conditioning class

skiski

Diva in Training
I do a lot of spinning and weight training for my legs when the ski season ends, to be ready when it starts again. During season I do a lot of touring, and off season I either go hiking or mountainbike up and down. I also train balance-> it`s very fun, and I know that has made me a better skier!

If you look at great skiers, they do train a lot, and are very athletic. (of course they ski a lot too!) The better condition I`m in, the better I ski. Therefore, and many other reasons, I love to excersice:dance:

PowLizard

Certified Ski Diva
Running, hiking in the mountains, biking, backpacking & resistance training with hand weight. I'm totally gym-phobic. Recently got a BOSU which has been awesome for combining with hand weights & really working your core & balance.

However, as I discovered yesterday doing a few laps, the best way to train for skinning & skiing is (you got it!) skinning & skiing. Next year I'm biking bigger hills & may take up trail running (if my knees survive it all).

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
yoga ( a revelation)
deep aqua classes
power walking
lap swimming.... sometimes
but reading the previous posts, you all sound super fit!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna