• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Drones for Search and Rescue

Christy

Angel Diva
They definitely have their uses. I think there was high hopes for them in all types of SAR missions here but they haven't been as useful looking for lost hikers due to the rugged terrain and dense forest cover in the valleys.

alicie

Angel Diva
A kayaker sort of near me went missing a couple of weeks ago and the some of the news reports were saying that people were using drones to search various caves along the coast. But the police issued a report warning against the public using drones because of potential interference with any aircraft or helicopters searching. So while they have their uses in an official way, I think unofficial use potentially just gets in the way, like unofficial/random search parties can do. Though they would be useful for looking in the caves or wherever if the use was sanctioned and organised so there is no interference or the public endangering themselves, as that was also a concern of the police.

Jilly

Staff member
That would be the problem - interference. Because we live so close to a Canadian Air Force Base, drones are limited in this area. But for that area in BC. Excellent idea as the drone can be launched quickly before the SAR would be able to get there.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Emergency Management BC is currently running a one-year pilot program of drone use for SAR. Kamloops is one of the locations that is part of the program, I'm to glad to hear of a positive result in a search!

UAV use for SAR, even as it progresses, is going to be a highly specialized skill. Not only is there going to be the commercial UAV licencing and things, but also the knowledge of search techniques, particularly aerial ones, that have to come together. Just any commercial UAV operator isn't necessarily going to be useful in a search without further training, and certainly for a SAR team to take on having the equipment and skills in-house will be a challenge. Hopefully some teams are able to develop the skills or relationships with local operators that are beneficial. I don't see it coming to my own team anytime soon...but it's certainly a resource we can keep in mind to call on!

newboots

Angel Diva
Faster rescue with lower risk to the searchers! Seems like a winning combination, with professionals in charge. (Amateurs interfering sounds like a disaster.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna