• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIN freak out - help calm me down!

newboots

Angel Diva
Drat. These are Markers and the click in felt totally normal to me, so I was hoping that meant I could stop wondering about the setting.

No, Marker has improved on this in recent years. But stop freaking out, explain your injury, and have it lowered a smidge. Early release is no fun, but the death grip is pretty bad, too!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are they marker squires? Mine are very easy to click into....think @WaterGirl has them on some of her skis.. The older versions were difficult to get into as well as the griffons

Yes older ones were harder - but ? I have them on all our skis for DD and myself.
Some seem easier than others.

The newer squires have the Sole ID - so @Jenny not to add to your thought process, but IF you are questioning the adjustment, b/c its too easy (which "ease of stepping in" is a totally SUBJECTIVE description relative to ones own perception on any given day) you could always have them checked my another shop/ tech etc. ???

FYI Maybe better fitting boots makes it easer to step in - I do notice, if I'm not buckled up tightly it does seem tougher to step in.

I always wonder if those who complain about squires being tough are in loose boots........

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Jenny , I really believe you are going to be fine. You gave your real age, your real skiing type and you have a shorter BSL. Also if you were on the edge of a weight range even 5 pounds can put you in a different DIN.

Unlike you, I have had three pre-releases - the first one I was uninjured after the ski popped off on a mogul, but my shoulder has never quite the same after the 2nd where the ski may have slightly snagged on some shrubbery - no clue as I was skiing, and then I wasn’t. The 3rd one I landed a bit hard on the far side of a mogul and pop went the ski again while I was still skiing. I took out my mini tool and upped it myself to my preferred DIN.

As a result, I always put myself as a type III now - since my weight is in one row and my height in another, they go with the lower as a starting point and that gives me a ridiculously low DIN if I don’t fudge something.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm feeling better about it now. Have gotten a lot of feedback both here and pugski, and now know more about DIN than I ever thought I would! I never looked at the charts before this, just took whatever the shop said, and still haven't studied them much, but I was apparently pretty close to the top of one setting so just a couple of pounds or the smallest change in BSL was enough to tip me over into the next category. I just never realized it such a tiny (to me) change would have that effect. Not to mention that I thought of it as more of a concrete number, not so fluid.

mustski

Angel Diva
I always wonder if those who complain about squires being tough are in loose boots........
No. The old Squires were a nightmare. First, I. had to removed every smidgeon of snow and then I had to jump up and down to get them to lock in. After one particularly horrible morning, I decided to get them removed even though it meant re-drilling the skis. If there had been more than a couple of inches of powder, I would never have been able to get my ski back on. I saw @VickiK go through a similar ridiculous procedure to get skis back on with her Squires. The new models seem to be better. I,however, will never buy another Marker binding.

MissySki

Angel Diva
No. The old Squires were a nightmare. First, I. had to removed every smidgeon of snow and then I had to jump up and down to get them to lock in. After one particularly horrible morning, I decided to get them removed even though it meant re-drilling the skis. If there had been more than a couple of inches of powder, I would never have been able to get my ski back on. I saw @VickiK go through a similar ridiculous procedure to get skis back on with her Squires. The new models seem to be better. I,however, will never buy another Marker binding.

I have old Squires and Griffons that I’ve never had any problems with either. Have been on one pair with Griffons (from ~2011 I’d guess) for 4 days already this season as they are on my rock skis. I’m not sure why some have such a horrible experience, but it’s definitely not a universal thing.. I wonder if there was poor quality control and some pairs were defective or something. :noidea:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have old Squires and Griffons that I’ve never had any problems with either. Have been on one pair with Griffons (from ~2011 I’d guess) for 4 days already this season as they are on my rock skis. I’m not sure why some have such a horrible experience, but it’s definitely not a universal thing.. I wonder if there was poor quality control and some pairs were defective or something. :noidea:
Yeah you have to wonder. Think my squires are 2016 or 2017 vintage and at my stats (5'1 103) I haven't had any problems at all with them. I also have the Salomon z10 ti on two other pairs of skis. No problem with those either.
My biggest issue has been with demoing skis with DIN setting too low, and if I'm skiing aggressively or on bumps, I will pop right out of the binding. It's happened several times. @WaterGirl recommended the Squires and they work just fine for me. But, who knows on the quality control and older versions?

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have last year's Squires and they have been perfect. I remember them asking if I was over 50 when they set the DIN - it's because we supposedly have more fragile bones, they told me.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Squires on my first pair of Yumis sucked. They were circa 2015. They got better/less stiff after a couple years of use, but they were never easy for me to click into. It involved a lot of hopping and stomping and if I was in deep snow, just forget about it. Whereas I've never had issues with Rossi/Look or Tyrolia. I also didn't have issues with the one pair of Marker junior bindings I had, either.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marker bindings have gotten noticeable easier to use in the last 2 years. The heel pieces on the Royal Family were a bitch, but have since been fixed.

I use the rentmaxx Z-value app on my phone to get DIN values. It's easy to use and the settings have mirrored my manual calculations without exception so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna