• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIN freak out - help calm me down!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Should I freak out if my new skis/boots/binding combo changes my DIN from 4.5 to 6 or 6.5? This puts me at the same DIN as DH, who is a more aggressive skier, but we are within 2" in height, probably 5 lbs for weight, same BSL, and both over 50.

I know BSL affects things, and the new boots are 290, not 295. Bindings are Marker Squires. Skis BP 88.

Is this another one of those things where the numbers from one setup can’t be compared to another and I should maybe just have a calming drink?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is that what the ski shop set it as? Have you looked up a din chart online yet, to see what it says for your height, weight, and bsl to double check?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yes, that’s what they set it at and yes, that’s what the chart says.

Nonetheless, still freaked out at the higher number. Last year’s ankle surgery likely plays a role in said freak out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Last year’s ankle surgery likely plays a role in said freak out.
After doing knee rehab, I decreased the DIN on my bindings by 1 the first season back on skis. Only time I've ever had to go back up was in deep powder (over 20 inches) on demo powder skis after.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before having anything done to bindings, I look at the chart or calculator to determine my height and weight. My height, weight, and BSL are right near break points on the chart. It's easier if I just write down the stats du jour than to have a discussion with a technician about what my DIN setting will be.

I don't ski fast. I have a compromised ACL. And the only time my skis leave the snow is when they get displaced by my butt.

In the end, we're each liable for our own outcome. I've experienced what too high a DIN can do. Have never had a problem with a lower one, so I've chosen to accept that risk.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I’m going to give it a try tomorrow, but may very well still decide to have them back it down a smidge. I only have to lie by about 5 pounds, and round down on my height.

It just seems like a big jump.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, if 5 lbs and rounding down on height is all it takes, I should think you will be fine going down to your regular lower din. It sounds like you are pretty close to the cut off.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Based on my BSL, height, weight, and ah hem age, my DIN setting would barely be 4. I have popped out of demo bindings b/c of this so always sign the liability form ..... and even if I classify myself as expert, I'm still at 4.5 which is fine.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny I can totally understand your apprehension. However, I went down a shell size a few years ago which pushed me up in DIN but I then self downgraded b/c of "age" and all that got me was 2 nasty pre-releases before I got wise and set them at what the DIN calculator said I should be - but this time @ as under 49 yo. Really since I'm only 23 in my mind, why should my bindings think I'm older?
You may need to play around to find the "optimal" and certainly each of us has a side we would rather err on - release or retention.
So what are you drinking ;)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Jenny I can totally understand your apprehension. However, I went down a shell size a few years ago which pushed me up in DIN but I then self downgraded b/c of "age" and all that got me was 2 nasty pre-releases before I got wise and set them at what the DIN calculator said I should be - but this time @ as under 49 yo. Really since I'm only 23 in my mind, why should my bindings think I'm older?
You may need to play around to find the "optimal" and certainly each of us has a side we would rather err on - release or retention.
So what are you drinking ;)
I mean, really? How do your bindings know how old you are?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've spent no time in Michigan, but my go-to resources there would be the shop at Nubs and @volklgirl.

And I want to clarify my earlier comment -- it doesn't read as clearly as it was in my head. I said that before I have anything done to bindings, I look at the chart to determine my height and weight. I should say "to determine the height and weight I'm going to put on the shop's form". I use a DIN calculator and fiddle around with the inputs to see what DIN the calculator spits out. Then I choose the height and weight I need in order to achieve a reasonable but low DIN.

I recall at Diva West at Mammoth, skiing with @skibum4ever. I took a simple fall and a binding released. @skibum4ever was concerned that the binding didn't hold. I was glad it released. My standard is for the binding to release at first scream. And @Jenny, you know how early that happens when I fall!

mustski

Angel Diva
I think it also depends on what kind of terrain you like to ski and whether you tend to be more aggressive than finesse. I have seen Bob's binding pre-release on an a very steep run and that was terrifying. Luckily he was ok. He turned hard and flew out of the binding. Ever since then, he signs the liability waver and has his DIN set where he likes it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I really like the one from Cupcake winery.

So, day 1 is in the books and I’m feeling much better about this, assuming answers to the following new question are positive.

If the binding is easy to click into - meaning I use a little pressure, but I don’t have to lean all my body weight on it an jump up and down in order to click in - is that an indication of how easy it will release?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^No. For instance, Markers are notably difficult to click into. Attack 13s are remarkably easy to get into. That difficulty doesn't reflect the release setting; it can be the same on both bindings and still you feel the difference. It has to do with the design of the binding - in some way that I can't remember but probably knew at one time in the past.

Jenny

Angel Diva
^^No. For instance, Markers are notably difficult to click into. Attack 13s are remarkably easy to get into. That difficulty doesn't reflect the release setting; it can be the same on both bindings and still you feel the difference. It has to do with the design of the binding - in some way that I can't remember but probably knew at one time in the past.
Drat. These are Markers and the click in felt totally normal to me, so I was hoping that meant I could stop wondering about the setting.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Drat. These are Markers and the click in felt totally normal to me, so I was hoping that meant I could stop wondering about the setting.
Are they marker squires? Mine are very easy to click into....think @WaterGirl has them on some of her skis.. The older versions were difficult to get into as well as the griffons

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly