• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Complete anxiety attacks on the slope--how to deal?

mustski

Angel Diva
I wasn't talking about altitude related short of breath. If you hold your breath long enough, you're going to feel light headed! The world and the ground you're standing on starts to spin...
Aaah! good point.

Duckie

Certified Ski Diva
I have had this happen to me too. The worst one was at Grand Targhee. I knew I could ski it, my kids knew I could ski it, and my husband knew I could ski it, I just couldn't do it. I sat on the top of the run and cried like a baby. After 30 minutes I ended up slipping the top half and skied the bottom. After I finished I went to the "kid" area to regroup. The rest of the day I was fine. I usually can spend a few minutes to choose my line and get through it, but some days are harder than others.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if you can get to such a high carbon dioxide level so you start hallucinating?

In other words, panic attack caused by oxygen deprivation?
In some ways yes. When we become oxygen deprived the liver starts shocking the system with adrenaline, or epinephrine or something like that, I can't remember the exact hormone. The lack of oxygen, makes you feel dizzy then the liver secretion makes the heart beat faster which can lead to feelings of anxiety. Very similiar to the reaction of low blood sugar where the liver shocks the body with adrenaline.

jenly

Diva in Training
Thank you all so much for the incredible support you have offered. It is also nice to know I am not alone. Afterwards, I did start to wonder if it could be related to pre-menopause, but I dismissed it. Now I am definitely going to follow up.

BTW Duckie--after my last episode, I immediately took a lesson and the guy was a former Navy SEAL. He made me practice garlanding and slipping and turning. I told him that I had never, ever had an instructor who told me it was okay to do anything like those (quite the contrary) and he said, what are you talking about, these are techniques to get down the steepest part. I almost laughed because I'd been doing both of those for years but never knew they were legit! I am sure if I asked he would have told me sliding down on your butt is okay too! Whatever gets you out alive.

altagirl

Staff member
Gloria is spot on. I have an anxiety disorder, and "mindfulness" techniques are the most effective non-medication tool that you will have at your disposal. Being aware of what is starting to happen, and taking deliberate steps as noted above, will really help to offset any oncoming anxiety. For myself, I focus on breathing and a quiet mind if I feel something percolating.

Absolutely agree.

On my trip to Costa Rica, we were out snorkeling and I had been having a great time - our little boat captain was right there watching me every time I popped up to look around and I was feeling very safe and secure. I got very interested in looking at something and when I looked around again - no boat. Like nowhere in sight at all. I instantly panicked and started breathing short little panic breaths for a minute or two and felt weak and dizzy and like it was too much work to just keep my head above water... suddenly worried that I'd drown, that there are probably sharks, that this felt like the beginning of a horror movie.... then remembered to breathe. Took slow, deep breaths and suddenly it occurred to me that I was all of 100' from shore, the water was so calm that the day before I had spent like hours just floating on my back and I'd be fine floating there for a bit, and the boat had to have gone around either the left or right corner of the shore out of sight and if I backed up I'd probably see him and could decide which direction to go. Worst case, even if he had somehow, improbably, abandoned me (there were only 4 of us on the boat so it's not like they'd forget!) - I could just go get out of the water. Oh, yeah, that. :doh: Turns out one of the other snorkelers had gotten so far around the corner he needed to go retrieve him before he wound up in Panama. ;)

Bottom line though - the whole experience (which lasted like 5 minutes) was an excellent reminder of what my breath does for my mental state. The moment I started taking deep slow breaths, adding a little pause at the bottom of my exhale, etc. - suddenly I noticed that I had a ton of options and realized there was nothing to panic over after all - I had basically just gotten spooked. But before I remembered to do that - I clearly couldn't even think straight.

Clearly you know how to ski and how it works and all of that (and if you're not sure - maybe read up on the physics of how it works so you feel comfortable taking deep breaths and then thinking through the physics of what you're doing.) As much as skiing can feel magical - it's not magic.

There are all sorts of breathing exercises you can do, but just focusing on taking long, slow exhales and trying to make the exhales longer than the inhales is physiologically calming for body and mind.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for the support. I will definitely try the relaxing the shoulders/deep breath technique next time. The instructor also recommended the book "In the Yikes Zone" which I see was discussed here a few years ago. I am trying to track it down, which is hard because it has been out of print for a while. I am not sure if she discusses complete panic attacks, but it sounds like a highly regarded book anyway. I need to do something because when I am in this state, just getting down the hill becomes rather dangerous.

In The Yikes Zone: A Conversation with Fear is written by Mermer Blakeslee. She has a website, and an updated version with a slightly different title is available.

Check out www.windhammountain.com under lessons. I have heard her speak and she is awesome.

For what it is worth, I have occasional anxiety events. I try to find a similar situation with a shorter duration, practice with what scared me, and go back and do the original scene of the crime. Then I do the slope again at least three times to cement the success in my mind, rather that the "failure".

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had hypnotherapy after suffering panic attacks on steeps and it did help. As everyone has said, the main thing to do first was take slow, deep breaths.

She also taught me to say "I want to do this, I can do this, I AM doing this, I'm OK", and once I've got moving to say in a rhythm "I STRONG LIKE BULL" in an Italian/Spanish accent (lol). It does help!

There were a few other tips as well, but I'd suggest getting some help - you can overcome it.

Joanna

Diva in Training
I wasn't talking about altitude related short of breath. If you hold your breath long enough, you're going to feel light headed! The world and the ground you're standing on starts to spin...

That could very well cause panic attack!!!

Hi I don't have panic attacks but I do have a lot of fear if I get on a slope that i think is to steep.. on blues that I'm familiar with I ski like I own the mountain . but what causes fear is when I ski Pico mountain in vermont they have a run that used to be a diamond and they made a new run and now call this a blue.. I do it but it just seems that I just can't be comfortable on this run.. I might add that I took up skiing when I was 64 and am now 69.. so maybe fear is a good thing.. I also ski killington and do some diamonds there but always feel more comfortable on blues..I think it might have something to do with my age but my thighs get pretty tired out after about 4 runs.. I work out and am in shape .. maybe i'm expecting to much of myself..I'm always jealous of someone who is younger and can ski well in a couple of months.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Something I've mentioned elsewhere is that I get these moments when 1) I am cold/wet and I'm shivering, 2) I had just exerted myself, and so my heart is thumping, 3) I am hungry or thirsty, and I'm feeling a bit heady, 4) I just had a cup of soda, which raises my blood sugar, and makes me shiver, or 5) I'm about to come down with a cold, so I'm getting a chill. Sudden changes in light, noise, or temperature can do it, too. A lot of people who say they have "anxiety" are actually experiencing one of these physiological things, and the brain interprets them as a sign that something terrible is about to happen. Then you start to freak out about the fact that you are freaking out, and, voilà, panic attack.

Once you are in a panic state, I would suggest against just getting going. Exertion will increase your heart rate, which misinforms the brain that your fear is going up, and your movements will become less methodical, more frantic, more prone to yard sales.

In addition to breathing and visualizing and everything suggested so far, I tell myself that the fear is not real--not just that it is irrational, but also that I don't really feel afraid at all--and that it's OK to be afraid. Nothing wrong with fear; just need a little less of it. Wait it out until at least your legs are steady, and you can start visualizing your line and feeling your carves again.

At the end of the day, make sure you don't have any tremors. People with tremors often mistake it for anxiety.

Midlifeaddiction

Certified Ski Diva
These responses are more common than you would believe! I've heard this type of thing enough that I have focused my private instruction on helping people (mostly women for some reason) with anxiety around skiing, heights, speed, control, etc. I have many years of yoga and mindfulness meditation training and I have started incorporating their benefits in working with people with these issues. If you would like to reach me, my # is 917-513-0727. My teaching mountain is Belleayre in High Mount, NY but I can also meet clients at Hunter, Windham or other resorts in the Catskills/Hudson Valley area. I find that for many people it is a combination of factors that have built up from past experiences. In my lessons I address: equipment, training, health, breath, mountain tactics, internal dialogues, goals and more. Sometimes there are underlying health issues such as undiagnosed ADHD but sometimes it's having had misguided instruction from well-meaning mates, family members, insensitive or poorly trained instructors (I do not mean instructors that don't ski well, but don't TEACH well) and self-image issues. The beauty of breaking through these fears is that the results resonate in the rest of life as well.

Midlifeaddiction

Certified Ski Diva
Hi I don't have panic attacks but I do have a lot of fear if I get on a slope that i think is to steep.. on blues that I'm familiar with I ski like I own the mountain . but what causes fear is when I ski Pico mountain in vermont they have a run that used to be a diamond and they made a new run and now call this a blue.. I do it but it just seems that I just can't be comfortable on this run.. I might add that I took up skiing when I was 64 and am now 69.. so maybe fear is a good thing.. I also ski killington and do some diamonds there but always feel more comfortable on blues..I think it might have something to do with my age but my thighs get pretty tired out after about 4 runs.. I work out and am in shape .. maybe i'm expecting to much of myself..I'm always jealous of someone who is younger and can ski well in a couple of months.
You may be having equipment issues. You may need specific training to address any physical limitations you have. You may want to work with an instructor who has worked with successfully with "the silver population" before. And give your lots of credit for starting a challenging sport at 64 and sticking with it for 5 years.

Midlifeaddiction

Certified Ski Diva
I do think that hormones and menopause can play a big part in becoming more fearful as we get older. At least they have for me. I sometimes want to kick myself for having anxiety about a slope or conditions that are well within my abilities. You can have the technique or the knowledge to handle a slope, but the mind psychs you out to almost immobility.

I'm about to turn 60, and my timidity thus far this year is disturbing and frustrating to me.
I find it incredibly helpful to ski with groups of women. Having a private lesson sometimes only INCREASES the anxiety. But nothing like a group of women laughing and sharing the triumphs and tribulations of skiing to make real headroads into skiing.

glamouretta

Certified Ski Diva
There is a book "Inside your Ride: Mental Skills for Being Happy and Successful with your Horse".
It show tips and some techniques to have more confidence in riding horses and overcoming fear. I find it applicable to skiing, and to other sports too.
Hope it helps. I have some fear too, I didn't ski yet this season so I can't judge if it really works, but I hope it will!

Does it help to know you are not alone? People who ski with me and see me on a good day are rather surprised when I have one of my "panic attacks" and literally stand there on the hill paralyzed. For me, it's usually a perfect storm of conditions (almost always involving low light.)

I have become quite adept at sideslipping, traversing, cussing, and laughing at myself!

I love the tips above about doing some breathing exercises. I need to try that next time I have one of my "moments".

I have this happen to me now and again and it annoys me because I know how to ski but suddenly I get in my head and my body forgets and I freak out on a steep hill. I side step a little, take deep breaths and just take a moment. What usually works is I talk to myself, I don't care if anyone can hear me likely they can't. I just say little words of encouragement and slowly make my way down.

Sometimes and I don't advocate this in large doses but sometimes if there's a particular run on a mountain that I know tends to give me anxiety I will try and time my hitting it after I have a shot, a beer or a cocktail. This seems to work in getting me out of my head to relax me so I don't have anxiety.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In some ways yes. When we become oxygen deprived the liver starts shocking the system with adrenaline, or epinephrine or something like that, I can't remember the exact hormone. The lack of oxygen, makes you feel dizzy then the liver secretion makes the heart beat faster which can lead to feelings of anxiety. Very similiar to the reaction of low blood sugar where the liver shocks the body with adrenaline.
Adrenaline is produced by adrenaline gland, not the liver. The only liver secretion is bile.

glamouretta

Certified Ski Diva
I had this happen to me today! It was awful! But after re-reading all the divas experiences, I now look at it differently. Today I was really paralyzed on the top of a steep run, I wanted to cry lol I wanted to sit down lol ... but I felt it will be more complicated, the run was green but had steep parts I hated my instructor lol ... But I think this is were I need to go to improve, but I am not sure if I'll do it again tomorrow!
After the class I just went back home, I was hungry and slept it was in the afternoon, I didn't feel good, I am not sure if all of this was a cause of the panic I had in the morning :( I lost appetite, had nausea etc or maybe I'm getting fever? Hopefully not!
It's not the first time though, I did had this feeling of being stuck, but then later I go down, it is emotionally exhausting, I hope it gets better with practice, but I am not sure if I'm ready for it, I wanted to stop the lessons and just go back home and leave the resort! It was awful. It was the first time I do this run, I did it once, maybe that's another reason. I really admire all the little babies that run the steeper parts with grace and confidence! Many adults do that too, it must be so much fun ...

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Adrenaline is produced by adrenaline gland, not the liver. The only liver secretion is bile.
Funny -fear, hypothalmus, cortisol. I must have been thinking of the earlier post regarding low blood sugar and using my phone to type. And no the liver does not directly release adrenaline, it shocks the system into releasing it, but it does produce more than bile.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes and I don't advocate this in large doses but sometimes if there's a particular run on a mountain that I know tends to give me anxiety I will try and time my hitting it after I have a shot, a beer or a cocktail. This seems to work in getting me out of my head to relax me so I don't have anxiety.

I can see it helping in correct "dosage", but alcohol will, over a few hours, metabolize into byproducts that can make anxiety worse. (For me, actually, this happens very quickly, so alcohol always makes me more tense :frown:.) Alcohol also can cause shivering and dehydration, which can make you think you are anxious or incapable. In the long run, repeated alcohol use increasingly makes one susceptible to anxiety when facing challenging situations. For people prone to anxiety/panic, I would actually recommend being "dry" for at least 24 hours before skiing, if not complete abstinence. (In most cases, I would say the same with cannabis. To a lesser extent, caffeine and nicotine, too.)

Of course, for people who use every day, this gets complicated, since skipping a "dose" can also trigger anxiety...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga