• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bumps

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you find certification levels to be important by all means ask the sales staff. All things being equal I would much rather have a level 2 instructor working on their first time attempt at 3, than a level 3 who has not bothered to stay current or sought to improve their own skiing or teaching in decades. But, then again a level 2 who has failed multiple times their attempt at level 3 may not be the best choice either. If you really care about PSIA certs, ask for a DECL or better yet a Verifier or a national demo team member! As an instructor I have had a chance to train on a few occasions with a couple of verifiers (guys and gals who make sure the DECLs are up to snuff) and their knowledge and teaching skills are phenomenal.

Ultimately though, chemistry can far outweigh certs and the instructors own level of education. I have received hundreds of hours of coaching and think that word of mouth for the type of teaching and skiing an instructor is really suited for and enjoys is most important. We all have the training and ability, but certain situations favor certain personalities and we are all very different in our styles.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you find certification levels to be important by all means ask the sales staff. All things being equal I would much rather have a level 2 instructor working on their first time attempt at 3, than a level 3 who has not bothered to stay current or sought to improve their own skiing or teaching in decades. But, then again a level 2 who has failed multiple times their attempt at level 3 may not be the best choice either. If you really care about PSIA certs, ask for a DECL or better yet a Verifier or a national demo team member! As an instructor I have had a chance to train on a few occasions with a couple of verifiers (guys and gals who make sure the DECLs are up to snuff) and their knowledge and teaching skills are phenomenal.

Ultimately though, chemistry can far outweigh certs and the instructors own level of education. I have received hundreds of hours of coaching and think that word of mouth for the type of teaching and skiing an instructor is really suited for and enjoys is most important. We all have the training and ability, but certain situations favor certain personalities and we are all very different in our styles.

I thought all instructors are required to stay current regardless of their certification. At least here there are - I often see instructors training with coaches when they are are not working. Plus they have to take clinics either after the season ends or before it starts and sometimes also during the season when it's quiet - though it might be a requirement of particular ski schools, but schools want their instructors to stay current. Level 2 here are employed with a condition that they train for their level 3 (level 1 is not allowed to teach in the mountain environment at all), and many level 3s are training for either Swiss Patent or for ISTD. A level 3 who has dropped out of circuit for few years will struggle to get employed unless he has some current certificates of clinics attended - and these clinics include both skiing and teaching, plus mountain safety that needs to be taken on a regular basis throughout employment. Anyway, one good reason to ask for a higher qualified instructor in my opinion is that if the chemistry is right it can be the instructor who will take you from intermediate level and coach you into expert. Terrain where instructors are allowed to take their students also depends on the level of certification.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I thought all instructors are required to stay current regardless of their certification.
They are, in US. A continuing education course is required every other season (these are, minimum, 2 day events) for active and inactive (not currently affiliated with a specific ski school) instructors. Dues, of course, are mandatory and annual. Retired and 50 year members have different dues structure and continuing education requirement (I believe 50 year members are gratis in US?).

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe that each school in the US has different requirements. Some do not even use PSIA (Professional Ski Instructors of America) as the standard. It is correct that to remain in good standing with PSIA 12 hours/2 days of courses are required every two years. However, many instructors do not continue to pay their dues or stay current with ongoing education, and very few schools require this as very few schools contribute financially towards that process. So, it is not unusual for instructors to state the last level of certification they obtained with PSIA even if they are not current. In the US it is rare for a majority of instructors at any given school to have obtained their level 3 or even level 2 as most instructors work only a few seasons before going on to their future careers.

The resort I work for requires a minimum of 12 hours of in house training at the start of each season. In addition we can move up the ranks by taking additional in house or PSIA clinics throughout the season but they are not mandatory. Occasionally instructors are asked to do more, but it is mostly a voluntary process. On a good year I have taken 98 additional hours of coached clinics, including some PSIA ones. Out of a large staff a handful will only participate in the minimum amount of training required, and even then seem half asleep during training. Thankfully most instructors are eager for self improvement or they would not choose teaching as a career. My point earlier, was that certification achievement is not a perfect standard to go by. We have climbing guides who join our team of instructors who may be phenomenal instructors and mountain people, but have not yet completed their level one or two and might provide a very high level lesson, same for some race coaches who whent through the USSA process instead. That being said, it is the most useful tool schools have at this time for ensuring a national standards which guests can ask for.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back to topic, if you want a bump lesson, make sure to specify in the lesson booking or tell the group lesson supervisor at the onset. Most of us will work a little on the groomers first to try to fine tune some issues that may be holding a student back that is apparent even on even terrain. But then the fun begins and having a coach that is keen on bumps is pretty important. Sometimes, after weeks of no new snow, bumps become hard on the bodies of some the best and most senior staff who seem to teach mostly high level lessons. As long as the ability to do good movement analysis and offer prescriptions is there that is the most important.

Last edited:

skishred42

Diva in Training
I'm recovering today from getting beat up in big, steep, slushy bumps yesterday. I think my big mistake was skiing them after my legs were worn out from skiing the regular ungroomed mashed potato areas all morning. The upside is that the snow I fell into was soft, but made it hard to make my turns. After the second fall, I was determined not to fall again, and made it down safely. Like Artistinsuburbia, I'm very confident everywhere except the steep bumps. Now I have to work up my courage to get back on the horse again ;)

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In steep bumps I find keeping my pole planted all the way through the turn until I plant for the next turn very helpful. Makes it easier to go for the next turn without "shopping" too, it's like moving down between two poles…

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I have found that much of the advice given here is spot on...So a shout out to my cheerleaders/coaches here. @Skisailor, slowing it down to a level that you are comfortable has actually helped tremendously. You take it one bump at a time and lightbulbs start to glow. I AM A TURTLE right now. And I am getting better each and every run this way. The video...lots of general direction to head in there. Simply a great tool to illustrate what others have said, but I didn't quite visualize. Through that, and @Jilly @marzNC I found that planting the pole at the top of the bump about 1.25 feet from my downhill boot and turning around it at the top is essential. Couldn't find the person to thank for this: Slipping down the backside and staying out of the ruts, again essential. @bounceswoosh @litterbug, Hopping, whoop de woo, whatever it takes, for when you do slip down too far into snow/ruts etc. You have to jump outta that hole or you are going down. @snow addict setting a goal to only link so many before a pause/exit. I'm up to four. my personal best. but next time, it might be five... Shopping is still a problem for me, especially at the very steep points at the top, where they are unusually deep. I think that is still a fear of falling thing and will go away as muscles and confidence build. But THANK YOU all. My mountain is little but kicks my butt again now for a little bit... Alas, the end is near, it's a mashed potato slush pond here now and I spent yesterday at home, shocking the pool and scooping out leaves. No more bump skiing until Sunday River at the end of March....good thing in a way as my right hip is starting to betray me.

Last edited:

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great summary @artistinsuburbia. I was copying/pasting all valuable advice to my 'How to ski bumps' notepad with the 'authors' names, so the pole planting came from @Skisailor. One of my ski buddies loves bumps and has been adamant about skiing bumps at least once every time we're on slopes. I follow her advice even if I ski by myself and am getting more comfortable with them...it's all about mileage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga