• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Becoming an Instructor

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm so glad it was so great. I had taken a break (of maybe two or three years) from teaching but went back to it this season. Just one day a week for seven weeks - same group each time. And I just loved it. They were the most fabulous group of ladies - keen to learn, willing to try stuff, never complaining, never whining. They made teaching an absolute pleasure.

BrookeK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just found this thread, and @surfsnowgirl , I recall you posting somewhere else that you've only been skiing for a handful of years and instructing really upped the anti, so to speak. And at the time, I thought 'that's pretty awesome, I can't imagine being able to do that'.

Except that I skied today with someone new. He's an instructor at a mountain I don't get to as much as I'd like, it's an extra hour past my home mountain. We met via phone a few weeks ago (when I called said mountain about lessons), his hometown is the same one I work in, we know some of the same people. Today, we were finally able to officially meet and ski together.

At the end of the day, he said 'you know, you should really do our ITC clinic next year'. He said if nothing else, it's a great way to get some really great instruction, but if I follow through with it, then I could start instructing....
And I think that's the point where my brain froze. Not very long ago at all, I was staring down my now favorite blue in terror, saying 'I'll never be able to do that'. To think that I might ever have potential to teach anyone is kind of mind boggling to me. But I mentioned it to one of my ski buddies and he said 'You're good enough to teach kids now! Do it! Follow your passion!'
So, who knows what next season will bring. But a couple of seasons back, when I was still sliding down greens, desperately trying to remain verticle, I never thought I'd make it this far.

I've really enjoyed reading thru this thread, about your progression and how much you're loving it. It's making me even more excited for next year!

Just found this thread, and @surfsnowgirl , I recall you posting somewhere else that you've only been skiing for a handful of years and instructing really upped the anti, so to speak. And at the time, I thought 'that's pretty awesome, I can't imagine being able to do that'.

Except that I skied today with someone new. He's an instructor at a mountain I don't get to as much as I'd like, it's an extra hour past my home mountain. We met via phone a few weeks ago (when I called said mountain about lessons), his hometown is the same one I work in, we know some of the same people. Today, we were finally able to officially meet and ski together.

At the end of the day, he said 'you know, you should really do our ITC clinic next year'. He said if nothing else, it's a great way to get some really great instruction, but if I follow through with it, then I could start instructing....
And I think that's the point where my brain froze. Not very long ago at all, I was staring down my now favorite blue in terror, saying 'I'll never be able to do that'. To think that I might ever have potential to teach anyone is kind of mind boggling to me. But I mentioned it to one of my ski buddies and he said 'You're good enough to teach kids now! Do it! Follow your passion!'
So, who knows what next season will bring. But a couple of seasons back, when I was still sliding down greens, desperately trying to remain verticle, I never thought I'd make it this far.

I've really enjoyed reading thru this thread, about your progression and how much you're loving it. It's making me even more excited for next year!

Awww thank you. You should definitely do that clinic and just keep continuing on with instructing. Don't think too much about it, just do it :smile:.

Once I get an idea in my head I'm like a rabid dog that doesn't let go. I decided to instruct and started the ball rolling. By the time I started to go uh oh maybe I'm not ready I'd already spent an entire saturday in orientation and a saturday/sunday with classroom instruction so I didn't want that time to go to waste so I said well let me keep going and see what happens. I was so nervous I took a lesson at Mount Snow to work on a little fine tuning. What helped me get over my nerves a bit is my mountain where I'd be teaching didn't open until early January. This gave me 5 weeks to ski at mount snow and really get my act together. Skiing the steeper vermont slopes plus my lesson helped more than words described. By the time I got to my home bump I was calmer. Still nervous but skiing those steeps made my home mountain seem much tamer and I thought I can do this.

I'll never forget my first lesson. We got rushed into getting hired because the season started to late and they needed people badly so I didn't even shadow a lesson. On my first day I got thrown into a lesson with a 10 year old boy. He was a doll but I was so nervous, my voice was shaking and it was like getting shoved onto a stage when you didn't have a lot of time to practice your lines.

Nothing like ripping the bandaid off but now 2 months later I feel like a different person. I still have so much to learn but feel so proud to wear my jacket and have such a blast with the kids.

I still remember my trainers saying we can teach you how to ski, we can't teach you how to have a personality. I think you'd be really great at this and you can ski on top of it all. Your skiing will improve so much. I am a different skier from 4 months ago. Just sign yourself up before you have time to think about it. It was a game changer for me.

I'm so glad it was so great. I had taken a break (of maybe two or three years) from teaching but went back to it this season. Just one day a week for seven weeks - same group each time. And I just loved it. They were the most fabulous group of ladies - keen to learn, willing to try stuff, never complaining, never whining. They made teaching an absolute pleasure.

That is so awesome, just what you needed I'm sure. Are you going to do it again next season?

marzNC

Angel Diva
@surfsnowgirl Thank you for a wonderful story. I was thinking of doing the ITC at my local mountain this season but felt too shy to do it. Your story makes me thinks twice about doing it for next season as it is definitely too late now.
Go for it. The small local mountains are always looking for new instructors. If I lived closer to my home mountain, I'd consider it. I know all the trainers at Massanutten and they are some of the best instructors/trainers in the region.

Ski_MoM_VA

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you @marzNC for your encouragement. The closest mountain for me would be Liberty and their ITC for the season opens around November. I actually ski at Whitetail more but they already finished ITC for 2016-17, maybe I need to check back in the Falls to see if they will open another session pre-season. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you @marzNC for your encouragement. The closest mountain for me would be Liberty and their ITC for the season opens around November. I actually ski at Whitetail more but they already finished ITC for 2016-17, maybe I need to check back in the Falls to see if they will open another session pre-season. :smile:
Doesn't hurt to call now and ask questions while there is still staff at the ski school. One of the long time DCSki member's son was teaching at Liberty for a while. He managed to pass Level III exams while relatively young. With his father's help, he got to ski a fair amount at big mountains starting in high school. They used to drive to CO during winter break. I assume he chose Liberty because it's less of a drive from the DC area. He's not there any more because he got a job in SLC last fall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna