• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Becoming an Instructor

Thanks for the tips on layering and snacks. Layering is something I have gotten much better at and I am on my way to becoming a professional snacker. We already bring quite the impressive food array to the mountain in a lovely cooler with lots of stashable snacks that will fit easily in my hydration pack or jacket pockets so I will plan to grab and go. I will have to remember to bring the liftee cookies :smile:

Ok, I will find out. I'll be stashing goodies in my ski pants. They provide us with jackets so I'll need to see what the pocket situation is.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I actually think that any pack would be or become burdensome during the average lesson. Reconsider this.

I am not attached to my backpack and can easily leave it behind. I am just used to having it on my when skiing but for lessons I'll leave it behind. I have plenty of pockets for stuff.

powderfan

Certified Ski Diva
Congratulations on your new job.

All the other diva's gave loads of usefull advise. What I would like to add is: think about your boots when teaching kids and neverevers. You' ll probably be walking and running around a lot and stiff, narrow boots for advanced skiers are not very comfortable then. I never cared a lot about my ski's when I was instructing. I used an old pair of slalom ski's in 155 and even skiënd Backyardigans on them, so it can be doen without twintigste. I'm sure the Yumi's will be fine. But I couldn't teach on my regular skiboots with a 120 flex, very narrow last and my big toe touching the front. I bought a pair of softer boots in the sale with a thicker liner to wear with thicker socks (I usually wear very thin racingsocks), to keep my feet warm.

Have a fun season :yahoo:

I went to my ski instructor new hire orientation yesterday. I guess things go this way at my resort. 2 days of classroom instruction. On one of the days we have to teach a skill we have to the class. They want to see how we "teach" something we know how to do. I still remember how I learned to juggle so this will be my skill. I just need to grab some tennis balls/bean bags. I will practice on DH. Next we have 2 days of on snow training. At the end of the 2 day we have our "interview", get our jacket and are officially hired. I am a little nervous but also excited. Then we have probably 1 weekend of shadowing where an instructor watches us with students. Then we are released into the instructor world and start getting paid and all of that

I have a little anxiety because part of me doesn't want to do it this season because I had such a strong end of last season with improvement that I just want to ski this year and build on that. Also, what if they say OMG she sucks at skiing get her away from students. I really want to ski a couple days before this to get my feet under me before I am evaluated.

However, the rest of me wants to do it because I think I can still capitalize on my growth because I will get oodles and oodles of free training. Plus I will make a little money and the perks are great. 30% off ski shop purchases and 50 cent soda/coffee/oj in cafeteria. Plus there is an employee lounge with a kitchen that is open to family members also so DH and I can eat in here every day and not have to deal with the craziness of the lodge. I will also have plenty of time to ski on my own or with DH as I will often be released from lineup and will be free to ski. I also can cut the line so when I'm skiing on my own I can go in the lift line through the instructor/class line and just get right on the chair.

I guess there are more pros than any potential cons so I guess I'll do it. I think all of this will be good for my confidence. I am actually pretty shy so between the classroom training, 2 days of on snow training and a shadow class it'll be good for me. Maybe I will even make some new friends.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess there are more pros than any potential cons so I guess I'll do it.
And you will be one of the pros! :smile: More seriously, it's definitely been the case for me (not yet in skiing) that teaching is the best way to learn. Even if you are teaching raw beginners, having to break down things that come naturally to you now is a great opportunity to self-examine.

@Fluffy Kitty :smile:. Thank you. I used to ski blade and never took a beginner lesson since they are so easy to ski. Then I started on big people skis appropriate to my height/weight and went right into a level 4 class. Now I am level 5. I am pretty positive there is some pretty fundamental crap I never learned so I am excited to break the basics all down. I think this will be so helpful to me.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
@snowsurfgirl

Chillax, girlfriend. :smile:

I went through MANY of the same anxieties this time last season as well. It all ended up working out fine. I was really nervous about getting hired because I didn't think I had the ski skills. Even during our instructor training course, I was definitely the least experienced/skilled skier. I had been skiing for three seasons at that point and everyone else is my group was 10-15 years younger than me and had been skiing since they could walk. And I still go hired. I was told several times, "we can teach you how to ski, but we can't teach you how to be a good teacher or have the right personality to teach."

As for wanting to "just ski"... I had ended my previous season on high note too. The training you'll get as an instructor though will take you through the roof. You'll enjoy "just skiing" so much more because you'll actually be getting good at it. I went from never having done a double black diamond before to doing our double black diamond down the front face as my "warm-up" run before teaching started- within one season. There was no way I would have accomplished that without all the skills I learned and practiced as we worked on various instructor clinics throughout the season.

So just go with it. Try it out this year. If you really don't enjoy it, you don't have to come back and teach the next season if it really didn't work for you. But you will have the skills and tools to be a better skier so you can really enjoy the heck out of the following season and "just ski" even if you choose not to teach again. My point is, you have nothing to lose by going for it this year, and everything to gain. :wink:

@climbingbetty Thank you for this post. You calmed me right down. I was talking to the director of the ski school on saturday and he mentioned I had a good personality so phew one box checked. I am excited, can't wait for the classroom training in 3 weeks. I think you are so right, the training I will get will get me above and beyond where I'd ever be so it's a win-win. Plus I think I'll have a lot of fun and meet some nice people. If I ever get nervous again I'll re-read your posting but feeling pretty good so less nervous and more excited :smile:. I am doing everything I can do to avoid having my first ski day of the year be my first on snow training day. Should have 2 days in before my on snow training so my feet should be underneath me.

My first day of ski instructor class room training is on the 21st and we have to come prepared to teach a skill. They want to see how we teach something we know how to do. Guess this will give them an idea of how we'll be like teaching when we are on snow. I will be teaching juggling. I just ordered some bean bags so I will practice on DH this weekend. I told him I don't expect him to become a master juggler but just allow me to go through the exercises and steps to teach him how to do it.

Just completed my weekend of classroom training for being an instructor. I had an absolute blast. Yesterday drills were assembling legos into a set up and coming up with a story for the legos. My group designated me the speaker and it was a blast. Then we broke into groups and taught our skill, I taught juggling. Guess that went well because when I was showing my group at one point 3 instructors were nearby and one was taking a photo. Today's groups were watching videos and movement analysis which I so enjoyed. Then we broke into groups and using verbal and non verbal communications the skiers had to show the snowboarders how to put ski boots on and click into skis. Then the boarders had to show us skiers how to put on snowboard boots and step into a board. I was initially intimidated and worried about this weekend but I threw myself into it, got used to talking to and in front of people, met some very nice people and just had so much fun!!!!!!

I can't wait for on snow training in 2 weeks. I am feeling much better that maybe I can do this.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then we broke into groups and using verbal and non verbal communications the skiers had to show the snowboarders how to put ski boots on and click into skis. Then the boarders had to show us skiers how to put on snowboard boots and step into a board.
That sounds like fun! Glad you enjoyed it.

Today, I caught myself researching shorter, narrower skis for teaching with. It won't be for at least a couple of years, but...

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely make friends with the beginner chair lifties. They can make or break your day. You will need their help at times (slowing the chair, loading kids, extra time for first time on lift people, retrieving dropped poles, people who lost their lift ticket, or at the top helping people get up and out of the way should they fall getting off the lift, etc.). Respect them and the tough job they do, and feed them and they will be some of your best allies!

@AltaEgo Thank you. I will be baking cookies this year. The guy who runs the beginner hill chair has been there forever and everyone loves him. He is just so wonderful to everyone. He stops/slows down the lift without anyone asking and helps you on the chair, remembers your name and is just an all around great guy.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
@surfsnowgirl - sounds like your hill has the same system as mine - I did the classroom and on the snow training at the end of last season, ready to do my shadow days and get going teaching this season. Even same "wear black pants and we'll give you the jacket" system. The one difference it sounds like, is that they strongly encourage us to take rental skis (no charge) of the same type as the students, and especially to take them quite short. I was told not only does this save your good skis but also the short skis will be a LOT easier on your legs as you are walking up hill as much (or more) than skiing down hill. One of the instructors said that if we ended up enjoying and committed to teaching, it's worth buying a very inexpensive pair so as not to have to fuss at the rental shop each time. Crappy skis are good enough, and I can see from the on the snow days you really don't do much actual skiing in any given lesson. For me, it's easy to keep my "real" skis near by - just plan to get a ski lock and keep them in an outdoor rack not far from the beginners area - so easy to grab and go if I have time for a couple of runs between lessons.

Look forward to comparing notes as we both begin our first season!

@surfsnowgirl - sounds like your hill has the same system as mine - I did the classroom and on the snow training at the end of last season, ready to do my shadow days and get going teaching this season. Even same "wear black pants and we'll give you the jacket" system. The one difference it sounds like, is that they strongly encourage us to take rental skis (no charge) of the same type as the students, and especially to take them quite short. I was told not only does this save your good skis but also the short skis will be a LOT easier on your legs as you are walking up hill as much (or more) than skiing down hill. One of the instructors said that if we ended up enjoying and committed to teaching, it's worth buying a very inexpensive pair so as not to have to fuss at the rental shop each time. Crappy skis are good enough, and I can see from the on the snow days you really don't do much actual skiing in any given lesson. For me, it's easy to keep my "real" skis near by - just plan to get a ski lock and keep them in an outdoor rack not far from the beginners area - so easy to grab and go if I have time for a couple of runs between lessons.

Look forward to comparing notes as we both begin our first season!

Just did 3 hours of on snow training today. Mountain isn't open yet but they blew snow a few days ago so we were literally doing drills and practice teaching classes on big patches of snow. It was fun and I had a great day.

Of course today I realized my black pants were big on me so I either need suspenders or a belt lol. Funny they fit when I tried them on in October. I may be shopping for new pants.

As instructors we do get free rentals so that's definitely something to consider. Did a bit of walking "up hill" today so I can see where shorter skis will come in handy. Right now I have 161cm skis so I'll see how that goes. My "teaching skis" will likely just be for that so I'll see what happens.

I found the "secret" ski stash area by the employee lounge so it would be very easy for me to keep my good skis there to grab n go should I get the chance for a quick run. Something else to think about.

I definitely am looking forward to comparing notes as we start our first season. How exciting. When do you come to the DC area?

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
:rolleyes:Oops! Got to change my location in my profile - we've been here two years, now! Still adjusting to life back in the US after 20 years away, and missing the 40 minute drive to our local alpine slopes, but happy to find fun at the PA slopes nearby by to where we live in suburban DC.

Will be looking forward to comparing notes, if we ever get any snow ... it's supposed to be 71 degrees here this weekend :frown:

@snowsurfgirl

Chillax, girlfriend. :smile:

I went through MANY of the same anxieties this time last season as well. It all ended up working out fine. I was really nervous about getting hired because I didn't think I had the ski skills. Even during our instructor training course, I was definitely the least experienced/skilled skier. I had been skiing for three seasons at that point and everyone else is my group was 10-15 years younger than me and had been skiing since they could walk. And I still go hired. I was told several times, "we can teach you how to ski, but we can't teach you how to be a good teacher or have the right personality to teach."

As for wanting to "just ski"... I had ended my previous season on high note too. The training you'll get as an instructor though will take you through the roof. You'll enjoy "just skiing" so much more because you'll actually be getting good at it. I went from never having done a double black diamond before to doing our double black diamond down the front face as my "warm-up" run before teaching started- within one season. There was no way I would have accomplished that without all the skills I learned and practiced as we worked on various instructor clinics throughout the season.

So just go with it. Try it out this year. If you really don't enjoy it, you don't have to come back and teach the next season if it really didn't work for you. But you will have the skills and tools to be a better skier so you can really enjoy the heck out of the following season and "just ski" even if you choose not to teach again. My point is, you have nothing to lose by going for it this year, and everything to gain. :wink:

I recalled this thread as I'm wrapping up my first season of instructing. I was sooo nervous but feel so good about it now. I still have a long way to go with my skiing but feel much more confident.

I realized that sure I am busy throughout the day and often teach for 5 hours when the day is over but I get plenty of time to "just ski" so I find it a pleasant mix of teaching/skiing.

Again, still have far to go with my skiing but I swear that I've gotten 100x better in the past 2 months of instructing.

I have also had an instructor that seems to have taken me under his wing and what I've learned from this man is amazing.

My warm up run now if I have time in the am is the race course on the front face of my mountain. I used to avoid this run, now I seek it out and often do so for my warm up run of the day.

This has been a great year and I can't wait to come back in the fall. I have a whole new crew of friends now and am looking forward to the memorial day concert and summer BBQ with my new comrades.

Thank you for encouraging me to do this.....................

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna