• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Banff

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Are the ice sculptures still there?

So there are a couple of ice sculpture things going on...

There is the ice sculpture festival on the lake that happens every January. In addition, they have an ice castle on the lake that you can skate around that is there basically all season. Last year, they also built an ice bar in the area in between the chateau and the lake. So there is a bar and chairs etc made out of ice, and an ice wall with the Lake Louise and Fairmont logos carved into it, and there are also some ice carved animals around it as well.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
one other thing I was going to mention @Jenny and @surfsnowgirl - if you're interested in some lessons while here, Lake Louise has a great deal on 'first tracks' privates. I did one last season, and it was the best lesson I had. The 1.5 hr lesson is a bargain, but the 2.5 is also a great deal for basically half a day. @Jenny - since you will be at Louise at a busy time of year, I would definitely recommend making a reservation sometime in the fall- November or thereabouts should be fine. @surfsnowgirl - you can probably wait until a couple of weeks before your departure.

https://www.skilouise.com/rentals-and-lessons/first-tracks-private-lessons.php

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
What's the drive like from Calgary to Banff? Highway, flat, winding, mountainous?

The drive is very easy. Generally, until you get into British Columbia, highway 1 is pretty flat. The drive from Calgary to Banff is about 1/3 flat prairie, 1/3 rolling foothills and then the last 1/3 is in the mountains. In the mountains through Banff and Lake Louise, it is still pretty flat. Highway 1 pretty much follows the path of the Bow river and is in the valley bottom. So, not much uphill and downhill, and pretty straight, with lovely tall mountains on either side.

Kind of like this:

Transcanada_highway,_Canmore,_Alberta.jpg

Even in winter, usually the roads are pretty easy to drive. The two things to watch out for are wildlife (especially the elk herd that likes to hang out along the highway just outside of Banff, and when it's windy, the windy can be pretty bad in the prairie part of the drive. Once you get into the mountains though, it will die away.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We stayed at Pension Tannenhoff on Cave Avenue in May this year. Nice place - the staff were very helpful and arranged for one of our party with limited mobility to have a room on the main floor so she didn't have to tackle the stairs. The parking might be a wee bit exciting in the winter as there's a steep drive, but it's a nice quiet spot away from the main drag.

We're booked! Arriving on the first and leaving on the seventh. Staying at Banff Aspen Lodge. We got lift tickets for five days, and since this is so early in the year, we should be good and wiped out after day one, two at the most!

Awesome, you are going to have a blast.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
We're booked! Arriving on the first and leaving on the seventh. Staying at Banff Aspen Lodge. We got lift tickets for five days, and since this is so early in the year, we should be good and wiped out after day one, two at the most!

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting up!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just found this thread. I'll be in Banff Feb 22-26 and love all the suggestions of fun things to do.

I just found this thread. I'll be in Banff Feb 22-26 and love all the suggestions of fun things to do.

We will be in Banff 2/24-3/4 so maybe if anything we could say hello. Where are you staying? I have to look where we're staying, it's with our ski club.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm staying at Mount Royal Hotel which I think is not slopeside but in the downtown area. I am just tagging along on a company ski trip so know very little about the details, just send a check and trust it will be great. Are you skiing the 25th? That looks like our only possible cross over day on the slopes.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
The Mount Royal is very convenient - as the shuttle to Sunshine and Louise stops right behind the hotel. I will probably be skiing 23, 24, 25, 26 I think.

We are staying at Lake Louise Inn for the first half the week and Banff Caribou Lodge and Spa for the rest of the week.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Good to know @surfsnowgirl - so you start off in lake louise on the 25th - that sounds great. Maybe we could meet up with @CarverJill on that day at Louise - I'll probably be at Sunshine on the Thursday and Friday.

Good to know @surfsnowgirl - so you start off in lake louise on the 25th - that sounds great. Maybe we could meet up with @CarverJill on that day at Louise - I'll probably be at Sunshine on the Thursday and Friday.

That sounds good. I was also thinking of taking a lesson the morning of the 25th unless you think monday would be less busy and a better lesson day.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Definitely Monday - if you're planning on a group lesson, it will probably end up being semi or fully private. If you're planning on a private, you'll have your pick of instructor. And no lift lines. I think the instructors at Louise are the best!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna