• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are ski pant legs stupid, or is it just me?

altagirl

Staff member
Arc’teryx sizing? Well, here’s an interesting example - which harkens back to a thread we had around a year ago discussing sizing reality. I bought a used soft-shell Arc’teryx, tried it on without even glancing at sizing. It fit, it looked nice. I can get a light layer under it - not much more.

It’s a size large. I am 5'6 118 and generally a 4-6 in street clothes. Okay, granted - I have broad shoulders, a bit built-up from weight training (but I don’t build up very much at this life stage...).

So - I ask you - where does this leave many others, if a shapeless string bean like myself can comfortably wear a LARGE in Arc’teryx jackets? (Medium would just be too binding - plus too-short in sleeve length.)

Good question. Funny. Arcteryx is one of the few jackets brands where a women's XL is roomy enough for me. They have had a consistent fit.
I was going to say, I'm 5'8" and 170+lbs, and a 36DD and my women's medium Arcteryx shell fits fine even with a (reasonable) puffy jacket underneath.

I always found their sizing to be very reasonable. This is my fourth Arcteryx jacket, FWIW.

altagirl

Staff member
I am always a medium in arc'teryx shells, with plenty of room for layering; I am often a large in other brands, and they are really too big, but the mediums don't quite fit right because they aren't contoured like an arc'teryx is, so I have to size up to accommodate arm length or whatever. Shoulders, too, which is bizarre because I have really narrow shoulders. Arc'teryx uses a ton of panels and gussets and stuff in its shells, which makes it $$$ but also much better fitting.

I have a couple of fleece (Covert) tops in medium, and they are really pretty small, but work ok as a midlayer as long as I have hardly anything under them. I bought a large Covert last year in fact; it works a lot better as a jacket on its own rather than a layer.
That's what I find too. Since Arcteryx actually fits my shape (allows space for boobs/curves) I can usually size down compared to most other brands.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Quick research revealed the different types of fit within the brand. The soft shell I have is apparently in the “trim fit” category. So I thus stand corrected on this. I have minimal access to it so am quite unfamiliar. Labeled size is, obviously, second to good fit, and I’m otherwise fine with the that and its appearance. I’m sure the “relaxed” fit category would fit differently.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm about a size 10 right now and had a hard time finding ski pants. I also wanted to buy a medium instead of large, since larges are longer and baggier in the legs.

I ended up buying the Marmot slopestar pant, they seemed to be more generous in the waist. North Face LRBC seemed waaay tight in the waist compared to other brands. North Face thermoball pants fit in the medium, but seemed baggy, same with Mountain Hardwear pants.

I could squeeze into a medium now, and even though they are insulated, they are not bulky. They have kept me warm without wearing anything under them (since they are snug!), even in a snowstorm today. They do not make short lengths, I am about 5'6" and think the length would be okay if you were a couple inches shorter. REI carries them in-store so I tried them on there, but online stores carry them in more fun colors than REI.
I have the same issue with the LRBCs. I thought that might just be me, because the same thing happens with Patagonia ski pants--unless they fit just fine, which some of the really expensive ones do.

I don't think I saw any Marmot pants in my size last time I was at REI; do their sizes run about the same as TNF?

I do, however, finally have one pair of pants that fit. My Levi's, which fit perfectly last winter, are too big, so I went back up to buy another. It took a little while to figure out which fit works for me now, but I walked away with a pair that actually fits my body. No saggy butt or baggy legs, just comfortable jeans. Now I have to pick up some underwear that fits; I had the old jeans pulled up to my waist, so I didn't realize that my old hip-high underpants were coming up just as high.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Helly Hansen ski trousers have the part mesh gaiters too. I had read this thread a while back but was reminded of it a couple of days ago when I got out of my car at the resort and noticed a chilly breeze going up my legs. When I put my ski boots on the breeze disappeared. When I got home I looked, and sure enough, mesh bits. I've no idea why they would put it there instead of just having a solid gaiter, but it doesn't seem to make a difference while wearing ski boots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga