• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are ski pant legs stupid, or is it just me?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been toying with insulated ski pants, and recently lost enough size that the REI brand black straight-legged jeans-style shells (probably made for ski touring or something) are a little roomy, but the insulated North Face short-length pants that were a little too snug last season are now just a little big in the waist. They're less baggy than the many other ski pants I've seen but a overall a baggier fit than my shells. Yesterday was cold and blustery, so I gave them a try with my CW-X boot top tights underneath, figuring I was more likely to be too hot with the synthetic insulation than too cold.

Findings:
1. The lower leg is a wind tunnel on the lift or when skiing fast. The legs measure 18" at the knee and 24" at the pants cuff, perfectly suited for ventilation because they scoop up large quantities of air and funnel it up as far up as it can go. :brr:
2. I was surprised that the snow gaiter didn't stop the air flow, but when I looked I discovered that only the bottom inch or two of the gaiter is solid fabric; the rest is a nice airy mesh, effectively cooling off any part of my lower body that might not be frozen solid. Great for spring skiing, but not so great on the lift at 20 degrees.

It's a good thing that I was overdressed under my insulated jacket, because otherwise I'd have been an icicle at the end of the day (the snow was too nice to leave voluntarily). I'd have been warmer in my shells with the tights, Capilene 3 boot top tights, and a pair of fleece pants layered underneath, if only because the pant legs themselves fit snugly over my boots, keeping wind and powder and anything else from sneaking in. In addition, because the shells have a jeans-type fit, they hold insulating layers next to my legs where it's most effective, while the ski pants' insulation was held away from my legs by the loose fit legs.

[rant]
I'm at a loss. Why do people wear these things? Don't your lower legs freeze from the airy fit? How useful is fancy synthetic insulation if it's held a few inches away from your body while air comes in from underneath? I'm considering having someone make the bell-bottomed legs into straight legs and replace the mesh gaiter with windproof fabric, but it seems stupid.

Meanwhile, although my ski pants are still in good shape, they're starting to show wear. I've seen shell and insulated pants online that kind of look like mine, but they all seem to be fancy mountaineering gear, obscenely expensive, and highly unlikely to come in my size, to say nothing of my length. That means unless I lose 20 pounds and someone decides to gift me fancy pants, I'm stuck with what I've got. I like the idea of having a pair of insulated pants for really cold weather and a ready replacement for my beloved shells, but unless some miracle happens, it looks like I'm stuck with what I've got. :noidea:
[/rant]

abc

Banned
I was surprised that the snow gaiter didn't stop the air flow, but when I looked I discovered that only the bottom inch or two of the gaiter is solid fabric; the rest is a nice airy mesh, effectively cooling off any part of my lower body that might not be frozen solid.
My pants don't have that problem! :noidea:

The outside of the pants legs fits OVER the upper part of the boot snugly so no wind goes in!

I've never looked inside the gaiter so can't say what it's made of. But since that's really not meant to be responsible for insulation, I wouldn't be surprised that it's made of relatively light weight material.

Why do people wear these things?
Why? Because it works for us?

Jilly

Staff member
I've never heard of a gaiter that is not solid. All my pants and my DH's have solid gaiters. I would not be able to wear anything like that up here!

Like abc states, my gaiter goes over the boot and basically seal the inner pant leg. And since I've only shorten the outer leg, I have lots of gaiter to use.

abc

Banned
the insulated North Face short-length pants that were a little too snug last season are now just a little big in the waist.
Maybe that's your problem? That the pants are too short to fit OVER the boot?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have a problem with any of my gazillion pair of pants, either, but the wind tunnel effect sounds refreshing! :tongue:

And clearly I need to make a trip to Alta, because the snow at Snowbasin is awful right now. What there is of it is like a skating rink.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh, I've never experienced wind tunnel effect in my ski pants either.
I do have a pair of North Face pants where the upper part of the gaiter is mesh, while the lower part is normal fabric, but I don't get any wind through it.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe that's your problem? That the pants are too short to fit OVER the boot?
No, both the gaiter and the pant leg fit well over the cuff, but the pant leg is LOOSE--that is, there's--wait, I'll go measure...

OK, the widest point of my boot cuff is the power strap, which is 18 inches in diameter; the gaiter is about 17 inches around and the elastic fits around my 2nd buckle, and the pant leg comes to my instep. The biggest problem is the stupid mesh, but the fact remains that the loose fit of the lower leg lets air get way up there and keeps the insulation away from my skin. Even if the gaiter were windproof, it's a single layer of fabric that lets heat bleed away.

I'm just spoiled. My shells have no gaiters, but the legs fit tightly around the boot cuff and extend past my 2nd buckle. The only time I get any air coming in is in very high winds on the lift, when my ankle's warmth is the least of my concerns. And even then, because the legs are straight and my layers are snug around my legs, cold air doesn't make it more than a few inches up my leg.

So are you saying that both your gaiters and your pants legs fit tight around your boots? IMHO it's not just the gaiter that should fit snugly around the boot; the cuff should be made to adjust or just fit snugly around the boot, too; otherwise you've got just one layer of fabric between you and the cold air. I've tried on 40 pair of ski pants if I've tried one, and as far as I can tell they've all had a pant cuff that's bigger around than the boot. I didn't measure them, though; maybe their gaiters were really tight and the pant leg fit snugly. That would be completely fine--except there aren't a whole lot of brand that fit me; few have short lengths, and those that do seem to put me exactly between sizes, so that one size is vast on me, and the next down is too small to zip up.

OK, maybe I'm just cranky. I'm going back to my shells. Who knows, maybe I'll keep losing weight, and I'll finally fit in a brand that has both short lengths and a size that fits; or I'll fit in a size that's small enough that the legs will fit, like a normal girl. Grump grump grump...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have a problem with any of my gazillion pair of pants, either, but the wind tunnel effect sounds refreshing! :tongue:

And clearly I need to make a trip to Alta, because the snow at Snowbasin is awful right now. What there is of it is like a skating rink.
Come on down! At least on the Sugarloaf/Supreme side, the snow was very cold, pretty firm in most places, and very edgeable, though there were times it was nice to have just sharpened my edges. :bounce:). There were a lot of areas with five or six inches of powder or pushed-around snow and a few patches of noisier granular, as well as some active snowmaking; death cookies had been groomed out on piste, though I did skitter over a few off the sides of the runs. I didn't get over to Collins, though. I'm still only skiing a few hours at a time to get my ski legs back, but I did have me some fun!

abc

Banned
I'm entirely confused at what you're talking about.

If your "gaiter" is only 17" wide, how the heck does it fits OVER your 18" boot cuff???

Wait, we may have a problem with the terminology...
the gaiter is about 17 inches around and the elastic fits around my 2nd buckle, and the pant leg comes to my instep.
The "gaiter" you're talking about, is that INSIDE or OUTSIDE the "pants leg"???

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh, I've never experienced wind tunnel effect in my ski pants either.
I do have a pair of North Face pants where the upper part of the gaiter is mesh, while the lower part is normal fabric, but I don't get any wind through it.
What size are they? I wear a large, and companies usually just size up every dimension for bigger sizes, so a smaller size might have tighter cuffs. That doesn't help me much, but would explain why more "normally" proportioned women don't have this problem.

The mesh really is a problem for me because I'd only wear insulated pants in cold weather where leg vents are the most cooling I might need. So I guess I'm glad my old pants have gotten lose. I could probably fit two or three layers of fleece in there!

I'll bet you never heard anyone complain so much about losing weight. :crazy: I really wasn't trying to, my doctor just had me stop eating wheat. :redface: But I tend to settle on what fits and wear it forever because I hate hate HATE clothes shopping. I did have to buy a new jacket this year, and oy vey, you wouldn't believe how many sales people I completely wore out with my indecision!! :bag:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm entirely confused at what you're talking about.

If your "gaiter" is only 17" wide, how the heck does it fits OVER your 18" boot cuff???

Wait, we may have a problem with the terminology...

The "gaiter" you're talking about, is that INSIDE or OUTSIDE the "pants leg"???
Maybe I'm using the wrong term. There's the outer pants fabric, and then there's a "gaiter" inside it with an elastic at the bottom that stretches to fit around the boot cuff. It's made to keep the snow from coming up inside your pant leg.

mustski

Angel Diva
I wear all my ski pants loose, but I have never had that problem. I do wear smart wool long underwear as my base layer at all times - even with insulated pants so maybe that is the reason?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've the same pant but never noticed the mesh until right now. The only thing I can think of is that the length of my gaiter is only about 1/2 an inch shorter than the outer pant, and the gaiter comes basically to the top of my ankle, ie, waaay past my 2nd buckle. The mesh and my boot cuff completely overlap each other, so no part of the mesh and my sock/base layer coincide. I don't have the cold air rushing in thing going on...

ETA: it sounds like your pants are too short??

abc

Banned
Somethings don't "add up":

Your boot cuff is 18" at the power strap. And your pants legs are also 18" wide. So that should fit quite snugly over the boot cuff. I can't see how much wind can get through that, gaiter or not.

With the gaiter taking up whatever little extra space, I can't see how there's any noticeable wind coming through that space.

The only thing I can think of is you got some snow stuck in between the gaiter and the pants leg? That would FEEL real cold, especially if the gaiter got wet and touches the skin of your legs.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there's a design or manufacturing flaw - my gaiter and pant leg are pretty close in length to each other. Litterbug is describing her gaiter fitting at the 2nd buckle and the pant leg hitting the instep.

Immediately above my gaiter's elastic is 3 to 4 inches of windproof fabric, followed by 2.5 inches of mesh. So, yeah, if her elastic is at the 2nd buckle, 3 to 4 inches above where the mesh starts would be the top of the boot.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Somethings don't "add up":

Your boot cuff is 18" at the power strap. And your pants legs are also 18" wide. So that should fit quite snugly over the boot cuff. I can't see how much wind can get through that, gaiter or not.

With the gaiter taking up whatever little extra space, I can't see how there's any noticeable wind coming through that space.
No, the pants legs are 24" circumference; boot tops are 18" circumference, elastic on gaiters is about 17" circumference when not stretched around boot cuff. Maybe I confused you by saying the pants are 18" around at the knee, but that doesn't protect my lower leg.

The gaiter is one layer of thin fabric and mesh, doesn't take up any space to speak of, so it leaves a gap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna