• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone score a great end of season deal?

Just won an auction for a sportube series 2 hard shell case that holds 2 pairs of skis for $100.

This probably should be in a beginning of season deal thread lol.

I plan to bring 2 pairs of skis when i go out west so this will be perfect. I am excited

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got off the phone with Sierra Trading Post, and I'm kind of sad! As far as deals at the end of the season goes, they don't seem like a good option anymore for me. They have always been one of my favorite catalogue retailers because of their customer service and return policy, and today I found that on March 1st they cahnged to a 90-day policy requiring items to be in BRAND NEW CONDITION with tags still on them! That won't work for me. You can't buy an end-of-season deal in May and then not find out until November or December the item won't work. I've bought shoes from them in the past that have been in their warehouse for years and the foam sole disintegrated into little pieces upon wearing. I would hope that would be a legitimate return, but it sounds like if I bought winter shoes in May and didn't wear them until December I would be out of luck. They still have the same friendly ladies on the phone, but it's a completely different company now that TJX purchased them.

During our trip out west I saw a new STP store in CO. Maybe they're putting more emphasis on their brick-and-mortar stores. The return policy allows for only brand new items so they can resell, according to the reps. I just can't imagine doing business with a company that requires only brand new item returns unless they deem the item defective, and she made it very clear that defective items would be inspected by their return department.

Oh, well. I understand there are pressures in the retail business and that many people abuse generous return policies, but if it turns into no service for me then I can't risk the business.

At least LL Bean is an hour away from me. I won't get screaming great deals (their regular prices are lower than most, but sales aren't steep) but they still have a great return policy. I just became a more frequent Bean shopper! And Lands End for some stuff.

What other mail-order places still have greatr return policies and customer service?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I agree with @Blondeinabmw regarding Nordstrom, Athleta, REI , Backcountry.com returns policies. I returned a pair of Rag and Bone boots that were very very expensive from Nordstrom that I wore at least a dozen times and were 2 years old but were never comfortable. I brought them in one day to Nordstrom and they saw they were not worn at all and offered to refund my money. Mind you I had no receipt but they still carry the same boot as very popular. Since I didn't have a balance at Nordstrom, they went ahead and refunded the $$ to my Debit card. OMG I couldn't believe it. Now that's customer service.

But that being said, none of the above have the sales and markdowns that STP has. Last winter I got a Mountain Force jacket, reg price $850 and with discounts $159 at STP.

Yes if you order 8 months in advance, be sure the item fits well and won't fall apart or disintegrate (which constitutes a defective item).

I wouldn't be too disappointed as STP prices cannot be beat.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 3 OR jackets. One is an older softshell, and it fits very loosely through the shoulders. There were a lot of reviewers who noted that about the one you're looking at, the Enigma. Also, like the Enigma hard shell, my softshell is made of two types of fabric (but not Goretex), one for the body, and another more water-repellent one for the hood, shoulders, and part of the arms. It's not a particularly feminine jacket, particularly since it's black, but it's very good quality.

I have an OR rain shell which is made from Goretex Paclite, and it has those super-sized pit zips like the Enigma. I get sweaty and hot when I'm active, so I love this feature. The Enigma jacket is a heavier Goretex material than my rain shell, so it'd be warmer and better at water-repelling. It's not inexpensive but it is Goretex. If the fit is right for you, I imagine it'd be pretty darn good as a technical shell for Tahoe and beyond, and a nice overall fall-winter jacket for the Bay Area (including Santa Cruz). Especially with a coupon deal. :thumb: Keep us posted.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks @VickiK ... Wish I could try one on. If I can use a coupon could save another 25%. We'll see...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Like the Zin color (dark burgundy-ish) but now wonder if it would be too big....Thanks for the review. I usually wear puffy's around Santa Cruz in the winter. Have too many to name but @WaterGirl turned me on to the Uniqlo which I love and about 1/3 the price of my Patagonias and North Face. I even bought the Uniqlo vest and the hooded puffy. The combined total was half of a Patagonia and love them... Going to Tahoe to do some hiking either next week or the following week... Can't wait!!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was in Dublin for work and unexpectedly came across a Patagonia outlet. Who knew? They had a bunch of "samples" and 2nds that were crazy marked down. Even thought I wasn't really in the market for a jacket, I picked up a Powder Bowl in a really pretty navy color for only 120 Euro...could not pass it up at that price. Will be even cheaper than that if the VAT refund comes through. Justifying this to myself because my other Gore-tex is a shell and more technical and 3L (the Untracked) while the Powder Bowl is 2L and slightly insulated. TOTALLY DIFFERENT :becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Like the Zin color (dark burgundy-ish) but now wonder if it would be too big....Thanks for the review. I usually wear puffy's around Santa Cruz in the winter. Have too many to name but @WaterGirl turned me on to the Uniqlo which I love and about 1/3 the price of my Patagonias and North Face. I even bought the Uniqlo vest and the hooded puffy. The combined total was half of a Patagonia and love them... Going to Tahoe to do some hiking either next week or the following week... Can't wait!!
Uniqlo has some great prices! They are one of Novak Djokovic's sponsors (he's my favorite tennis player :-) So I'll have to check them out!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with @Blondeinabmw

But that being said, none of the above have the sales and markdowns that STP has.

That's changing, too. They have without doubt reduced their discounts for DealFlyer subscribers. They used to do 35% discounts every few days. For a long time now they've only been doing at most 25% discounts. I've also heard that their regular prices won't be as low, either. Their regular prices were never super deals. They used to advertise as having stuff starting at ?30%? or ?35%? off. Now their cover page has NO information on their standard discounts. Since most stuff goes to stores already discounted from the MSRP, 30% wasn't always a big deal. The Barn Burners section has some things less than 50% off. Barn Burners used to be hugely discounted, I assume to get the product out of the warehouse.

I have some gift credits to use up at STP. After that I'll check out REI. I have a friend who loves REI. Never got into it too seriously because I was an STP girl. From now on I'm a sure-fire LL Bean girl, and I'll start going to REI, too, for stuff.

I have two of the LLBean 850 down sweaters. Love love love!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That's changing, too. They have without doubt reduced their discounts for DealFlyer subscribers. They used to do 35% discounts every few days. For a long time now they've only been doing at most 25% discounts. I've also heard that their regular prices won't be as low, either. Their regular prices were never super deals. They used to advertise as having stuff starting at ?30%? or ?35%? off. Now their cover page has NO information on their standard discounts. Since most stuff goes to stores already discounted from the MSRP, 30% wasn't always a big deal. The Barn Burners section has some things less than 50% off. Barn Burners used to be hugely discounted, I assume to get the product out of the warehouse.

I have some gift credits to use up at STP. After that I'll check out REI. I have a friend who loves REI. Never got into it too seriously because I was an STP girl. From now on I'm a sure-fire LL Bean girl, and I'll start going to REI, too, for stuff.

I have two of the LLBean 850 down sweaters. Love love love!
You know, I have a few items in my shopping cart and haven't seen any discounts lately. REI is a great resource for everything! But STP always had such good markdowns... Never really been much of an LLBean shopper or Eddie Bauer... Seems the sizing is never small enough, but it's been 20 years...

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LL Bean has always had big sizing, unfortunately. The 850 down comes in XXS. I have the XS and the XXS. Before menopause I was a size 0 or 2. Now post-menopause I'm a 2 for sure. the XS is not super tight-fitting and might be an awkward layer under a trim shell. Would be fine under a standard shell. The XXS is perfect and trim for layering. Anything under their High Performance Outerwear category comes in XXS. It would be appreciated fi they would branch that size out to more categories!

Their Signature line, which is fashion oriented with BEAUTIFUL materials and quality workmanship--really nice stuff--is DEFINITELY small. Even before menopause the 0's were too small, and often the 2's were trim. If you're little and like traditional quality fashion, the Signature line is for sure small enough!

I haven't seen anything that compares to the 850 LL Bean down. Not only is the down 850, but it is stuffed full of down. Last year I bought a North Face 850 down sweater, and it had nowhere near the stuffing. Took it back with my older NF 850 sweater from 2009 and showed them the difference. Mine from 2009 surely had twice as much stuffing. NF did not impress last year. But even the 2009 NF sweater can't match my LL Bean.

And you can't beat their return policy!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
LL Bean has always had big sizing, unfortunately. The 850 down comes in XXS. I have the XS and the XXS. Before menopause I was a size 0 or 2. Now post-menopause I'm a 2 for sure. the XS is not super tight-fitting and might be an awkward layer under a trim shell. Would be fine under a standard shell. The XXS is perfect and trim for layering. Anything under their High Performance Outerwear category comes in XXS. It would be appreciated fi they would branch that size out to more categories!

Their Signature line, which is fashion oriented with BEAUTIFUL materials and quality workmanship--really nice stuff--is DEFINITELY small. Even before menopause the 0's were too small, and often the 2's were trim. If you're little and like traditional quality fashion, the Signature line is for sure small enough!

I haven't seen anything that compares to the 850 LL Bean down. Not only is the down 850, but it is stuffed full of down. Last year I bought a North Face 850 down sweater, and it had nowhere near the stuffing. Took it back with my older NF 850 sweater from 2009 and showed them the difference. Mine from 2009 surely had twice as much stuffing. NF did not impress last year. But even the 2009 NF sweater can't match my LL Bean.

And you can't beat their return policy!
Thanks ! I need to revisit LL Bean again.... think I would wear an XXS or try the O or 2... yeah I get the menopause thing... I don't weigh much but don't look the same in a bathing suit......

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And, while we're talking about return policies, Garnet Hill is a company out of NH that sells clothes. Half my closet is probably GH. And, they have the same amazing return policy. Anytime. If you buy something that ends up performing badly, you can return it at any time. Love the clothes, love the customer service.

Once on GH I left a review for a watch that didnt' buckle on, but had a tension-style band. My review said it was super cute and I loved the style, but unfortunately the tension band had broken when I was changing clothes. Said it was a great watch, but perhpas not for me. Never said I wanted to return it, never said I blamed GH or the manufacturer, never said it was anybody's fault but mine. THey called me a few months later PERSONALLY and said they had the watch in my preferred color in stock and would like to send it to me free as a complimentary replacement for the one that broke. My jaw dropped! THAT'S customer service!!

So...I've hijacked this thread.

Anybody get a great end-of-season deal, to get us back on track? :-)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh ooh, I do!

So I have to admit that I'm poly-forum-ous. I'm also active in pugski. I was asking about a ski that would be good for my ski rehab plans this winter (lots of drills on groomers), and not too expensive, please. The owner of skiessentials came through with a link to his new old stock of 2014 Viva 80s. $200 for the pair of skis. I bought very nice bindings, on sale though, so also about $200. Requested a coupon code - after all was said and done, about $360 delivered! Skis and bindings completely new.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those were on Philpug's Steals & Deals list that year or in 2013, I think.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga