• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anybody else with 70+ Ski Club?

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
I am going on my first 70+ Ski Club trip to Okemo this year, and in February to Utah. I was wondering if there are any other ski divas that are part of the group?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not yet, but I've been paying attention to the 70+ trips for a few years. I'm getting close but have a few years to go. I know someone who took her first trip to Europe with the club . . . when she was over 90.

@IKam is a member. She and her DH are in Chicago. I'm going to meet up with them for the last day of the Nub's Nob annual gathering in mid-January. It's nice that most 70+ club events are open to "70+ in training" folks.

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
I also have been following 70+ ski club for years - my parents were members ages ago! I will be happy to relay how the Vermont and SLC experience goes. And if others are interested, I think I can now "guest" you since I qualify! They seem to be a friendly group. I see marzNC that your are in Massanutten in late Jan - I am in Annapolis and have been following the Mid-Atlantic posts for a while. Let me know when you are there and maybe I can get there for 2 days or so to MOTH.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I see marzNC that your are in Massanutten in late Jan - I am in Annapolis and have been following the Mid-Atlantic posts for a while. Let me know when you are there and maybe I can get there for 2 days or so to MOTH.
Sounds good!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please post your experiences. I would usually be at Okemo at this time of year. But health issues have me out of skiing. I didn't know until I got the info packet this week (not 70 until July) that they worked out of RI, my little state!

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
I just returned from my first ski trip with the 70+ Ski Club and found it to be a real pleasure to spend a few days with so many people of my age and older who were (almost all) enthusiastic skiers. Everyone had a story and a history, much of which was about skiing. It was great fun to be with people who seemed less likely to dwell on aging and more likely to have fun on and off the slopes.

The club is run by Richard Lambert, whose grandfather started the club in 1977. He is very outgoing and clearly knows how to put together a trip. He was available for questions and help throughout the trip, and was present at every meal and on the slopes. He manages about 8 trips per year, in the US and abroad, including a summer trip to some exotic destination. And he maintains the club’s presence through a well-run website and a newsletter that cheers you up every time it arrives.

This trip was 4 nights in Okemo at Jackson Gore. Sunday night began with a cash bar in the day lodge, which converted to our private restaurant by night. Social hour was followed by a group dinner, where people continued the getting-to-know-you process. Name tags were worn by all, which allowed access to events, but with big enough type so that you could actually read the name. Name tags also identified your hometown, and had stickers that identified first timers as well as choice of terrain: non-skier, green, blue, purple and black. There was plenty of conversation, some meeting up with others they knew from past trips, but also a lot of first timers who sought each other out as new friends and potential ski partners. There were about 110 people there, of which maybe 80 to 90 were still active skiers. The range in ability and relative age was quite broad. It seemed there were quite a few people who had non-skier spouses who either stayed at home or came along for the ride. There did not seem to be an abundance of guests under 70, but age didn’t seem to matter much to a fairly social crowd.

Our first day of skiing started with mountain hosts who led the various levels from 9 to noon. This was the opportunity to meet fellow skiers who preferred similar terrain. One other fellow and I were the last ones in the group at noon, which was very convenient since he became my ski partner for the rest of the trip. Since I have skied alone a fair amount over the past years, I really appreciated the company. What I realized is that, with company, one can ski with a little more abandon, knowing there is someone else around who will report it if you disappear through the trees or over the cliff. That made my day! The rest of the ski time was on your own, with people meeting up with others at breakfast, on the slopes or on the lift. Some people had their 70+ stickers on their helmet so they were easy to pick out, but in general if the person looked older you could pretty much guess they were with the group and open to connecting with conversation and skiing.

Skiing was great. There had been 10 inches of snowfall the day of arrival on top of the man-made base, which was a blessing for skiing, but not driving. A fair number of lifts and runs were open, but you had to check the phone app to find lift and slope status. Okemo signage could be improved as the arrows pointing to the slopes were often covered with snow. The covered lifts were clearly favored which was obvious from the wait time, although it was not over-crowded, even with the recent snow. The Vermont weather held up and was not frigid. The last day, however, was rain on and off, so we went out a bit, dried off, then went out again late afternoon for some fabulous runs. Plenty of people braved the rain, so it was not a timid group. The social life continued, with cocktail hours, dinners, trivia games, a band and lots of dancing. All in all, it was a great trip. And it certainly won’t be my last if I have a choice in the matter.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I ski at Okemo and saw members of the club there this past week. Glad you had such a good time!

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
This was our 2nd trip to the 70+ Ski Vermont Fest. I got to ski some runs I hadn't skied on the first trip (nor the ones I took not with the club). We met a really nice couple and Pam and I were about the same level so we had a blast skiing together. Now we're on our way to Michigan for the Midwest Ski Fest with 70+.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We used to ski at Breckenridge with the Over the Hill gang. It was very enjoyable as they had a lot of skiers so could create groups based on ability.

I think I will look into the 70+ Club when I get my ski legs back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a great time meeting more 70 Plus Ski Club members yesterday at their annual gathering at Nub's Nob. The buffet lunch was fabulous. It was held in a back area and there must have been at least 8 round tables were occupied, if not 10. Everyone was very friendly. Apparently some people will show up for the lunch on the last day and not ski. Most people I met live somewhere in Michigan and were driving home by mid-afternoon, leaving by 2:30 or so.

Since the Nastar race was not held on Wednesday because of low visibility, the course was set up on Thursday. Racing started at 10am. Once it was set up, people were allowed to "inspect" the course but not ski it. The line at the beginning wasn't too long, but wasn't just a few people either. The oldest woman to get an award was over 85. The oldest man was over 90. They gave out club medals and Nastar pins. Pictures were taken of all the medal winners.

Younger folks are encouraged to participate. I signed up as a Guest online a while back and there was a name tag waiting. There was no charge to join in for lunch. Apparently a few locals who were over 70 signed up as members this week. Membership is $15 per year for one person or $18 for a couple.

Nubs 70+ sign Jan2024 - 1.jpeg

Jenny

Angel Diva
You all sure got luck with the snow! How were the temps? For some reason, likely the water, I'm always colder at Nubs than the temperatures would indicate I should be.

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm going to find that website and sign up for membership! I'm 66.5 and my husband is 69. Looking forward to meeting like-minded people!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm going to find that website and sign up for membership! I'm 66.5 and my husband is 69. Looking forward to meeting like-minded people!
Welcome! I'm about a year older than you. What region do you ski the most?

When your husband can become a member, you'll always be welcome as a "70 Plus In Training" guest at any of the gatherings or club trips.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You all sure got luck with the snow! How were the temps? For some reason, likely the water, I'm always colder at Nubs than the temperatures would indicate I should be.
Snow was fabulous! Going to ski Nubs a bit more tomorrow because Pintail Peak will be open. Morning plan is to check out Highlands. Today @IKam and I did a pretty thorough tour of Boyne Mountain.

Temps? FRIGID comes to mind. Today was the coldest. High tomorrow supposed to be 20, which will feel "warm." No wind though so was okay since getting into a building to warm up doesn't take long. I don't usually need Boot Gloves but was glad I have them this week.

I've been experimenting with new stuff I've bought since last season for cold temps. That way I'll know what to take to Big Sky and Crested Butte in March when I have to pack for flights.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Snow was fabulous! Going to ski Nubs a bit more tomorrow because Pintail Peak will be open. Morning plan is to check out Highlands. Today @IKam and I did a pretty thorough tour of Boyne Mountain.

Temps? FRIGID comes to mind. Today was the coldest. High tomorrow supposed to be 20, which will feel "warm." No wind though so was okay since getting into a building to warm up doesn't take long. I don't usually need Boot Gloves but was glad I have them this week.

I've been experimenting with new stuff I've bought since last season for cold temps. That way I'll know what to take to Big Sky and Crested Butte in March when I have to pack for flights.
Highlands is better than Mountain.

And I’m guessing you've already been told this, but keep your speed up when going to and from Pintail Peak because it is a looooooong flat to get there and not much different going back.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I am going on my first 70+ Ski Club trip to Okemo this year, and in February to Utah. I was wondering if there are any other ski divas that are part of the group?
Another thanks for this thread. Was unaware of this group, but my 72 yo ski buddy just joined, and I will in April, when I hit that milestone!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was at Wachusett on Monday I noticed a walker parked on the side of the room when I was booting up. A bit later, I saw it go by and had to do a double take. It was a guy in ski boots! Talking to one of the other "old timers" on the lift who was trying to meet up with him at the top, the man is 92 and just started using the walker this year. But that's not stopping him from skiing. At the end of the day I heard them discussing Klaus Obermeyer. He was leaving the same time I did, and one of the employees was helping him out and was given instructions on how to place the skis across the top of the walker so they could be bungeed on for the walk to his car.

IKam

Certified Ski Diva

BTW, we had a great time skiing Pintail at Nubs. Ski Patrol was closing off the area but said, as he pulled the fence across, "I'm going as slow as I can," so we got another run in on a trail I hadn't done yet. It turned out to be the best one yet! Great Ski Patrol!

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
Where do you live? I'm in Illinois.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga