• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any snow anywhere East?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Add me to the list of those who has a very healthy fear of crowded conditions. I've been taken out more times on my home mountain's chair lifts (while we're getting off) than I've ever fallen on my own while actively skiing.
Yikes, really? That’s a whole different issue that sounds awful. I’m very wary of being on a lift with beginners, especially snowboarders. With the new 6 and 8 person lifts especially, one needs to be able to go in a straight line getting off of the lift for a ways with a crowd on either side of you. No issues yet, but it does spike my anxiety a bit. This is regardless of how crowded it is though because they still try to fill those seats even if it’s not a very crowded day on the slopes themselves.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends what you want to get out of the skiing. I’ve had a lot of fun on little terrain (in every condition imaginable) in the 13 days I’ve skied so far this season. To me, skiing is always better than not skiing regardless of terrain open.
I agree @MissySki. Anything beats July. I've had 9 days of sketchy skiing @ Massanutten in Central VA (My Humble Hill) and have used them primarily for early season drills and "character building." My "other" local resorts haven't even opened yet (Whitetail, Liberty in PA). https://www.libertymountainresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

We are supposed to get some appreciable snow this weekend but I'll believe it when I see it. Luckily, I've booked Snowshoe in West Virginia all next week and they should get up to 10 inches if the forecast holds. All my parts are crossed. Skiing at the WV resorts has reportedly been excellent, though not all trails are open yet (i.e., Timberline & Snowshoe).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I agree @MissySki. Anything beats July. I've had 9 days of sketchy skiing @ Massanutten in Central VA (My Humble Hill) and have used them primarily for early season drills and "character building." My "other" local resorts haven't even opened yet (Whitetail, Liberty in PA). https://www.libertymountainresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

We are supposed to get some appreciable snow this weekend but I'll believe it when I see it. Luckily, I've booked Snowshoe in West Virginia all next week and they should get up to 10 inches if the forecast holds. All my parts are crossed. Skiing at the WV resorts has reportedly been excellent, though not all trails are open yet (i.e., Timberline & Snowshoe).
Hope the snow comes through!!

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
@MissySki yep, it's not even something we can blame on Vail's buy out of the mountain - it's been a problem for as long as I've been skiing there! Plenty of folks would benefit from a lesson before they're free to go up the chairlifts. It's *usually* snowboarders who feel the need to come down sideways who either land on top of your skis, or they otherwise manage to slide sideways right into their neighbors, although I've been run into by a skier on occasion as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki yep, it's not even something we can blame on Vail's buy out of the mountain - it's been a problem for as long as I've been skiing there! Plenty of folks would benefit from a lesson before they're free to go up the chairlifts. It's *usually* snowboarders who feel the need to come down sideways who either land on top of your skis, or they otherwise manage to slide sideways right into their neighbors, although I've been run into by a skier on occasion as well.
I think I insulted a snowboarder this weekend when I asked where they preferred to be on the chairlift lol. I’ve had some ask me to switch spots with them so they are on the end etc., and when I was a single getting on with two snowboarders on a triple Saturday I asked if he wanted to be in the middle or switch spots. He totally looked at me like I had three heads and was like no I’m fine here. I’d rather he think I were weird than have an issue getting off at the top and be too shy to ask me to switch spots though. We had a good conversation on the lift after that at least.

I agree, it’d be great if there were some sort of test to pass to move up to riding lifts outside of the beginner areas.. and other skills.

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
I think I insulted a snowboarder this weekend when I asked where they preferred to be on the chairlift lol. I’ve had some ask me to switch spots with them so they are on the end etc., and when I was a single getting on with two snowboarders on a triple Saturday I asked if he wanted to be in the middle or switch spots. He totally looked at me like I had three heads and was like no I’m fine here. I’d rather he think I were weird than have an issue getting off at the top and be too shy to ask me to switch spots though. We had a good conversation on the lift after that at least.

I agree, it’d be great if there were some sort of test to pass to move up to riding lifts outside of the beginner areas.. and other skills.
I'm with you, I'd much rather offer someone their preferred spot on the chair than find out they hate being in the middle!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Is everyone aware that we may actually get some snow in the Northeast this weekend? There's a storm in the forecast for Saturday/Sunday, though its ultimate track and the amount of snow it produces are still up in the air. Please, Divas, put your snow dancing shoes on and give it your all!

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
Is everyone aware that we may actually get some snow in the Northeast this weekend? There's a storm in the forecast for Saturday/Sunday, though its ultimate track and the amount of snow it produces are still up in the air. Please, Divas, put your snow dancing shoes on and give it your all!

Yes! Apparently there's currently a 65% chance that Seven Springs will receive 6 or more inches. I'm badly hoping for the "or more"

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I"m stoked for the upcoming storm... saturday to sunday. I'm headed to boston so I'll drive from Vermont on Monday so happy I can ski whatever on Sunday without a thought of driving anywhere. I definitely don't need a ton of terrain to be happy. I've been slammed into before so I have a very big fear of someone crashing into me. I will often pull over and let people pass if I hear them coming up behind me. Bromley has held up nicely with whatever snow we have. They've been blowing since saturday so things should be good saturday when I get there. If Magic does open the mid chair I'l come back in the afternoon and ski there. Supposed to meet friends at Bromley on Sunday so we'll see as it'll be hard to leave magic if it's a powder day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Of course I am not skiing Sunday, last home football game of the season is where I’ll be. I will be skiing Saturday and maybe Friday. I’m kind of excited for a snow game though, haven’t ever been in person for one other than flurries. Though I think we are currently only forecast for 1-3 inches at both Gillette stadium and Sunday River.. we’ll see if either bumps up.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I took the rare risk of sharing a chair w/two snowboarders last weekend. They were properly attired w/"real" outdoor clothing (i.e., not ratty sweatshirts), had helmets & good googles. Plus - not that this should make too much of a difference, but it does to me - they were female.

Halfway to the top I learned that this was their first time on a chairlift. Oye vey. I asked if they knew how to exit and they replied w/a shrug that they were going to "play it by ear." I offered the "go straight" advice and told them I'd be shooting off w/a hard left. Thankfully it was a quad chair, so there was ample room. I was well away from the chair when I heard the inevitable crash behind me.

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
Halfway to the top I learned that this was their first time on a chairlift. Oye vey. I asked if they knew how to exit and they replied w/a shrug that they were going to "play it by ear." I offered the "go straight" advice and told them I'd be shooting off w/a hard left. Thankfully it was a quad chair, so there was ample room. I was well away from the chair when I heard the inevitable crash behind me.

I know everyone has to start somewhere...but I'd just rather not share a chair for someone's first time. LOL. Glad you were able to make a quick exit!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I took the rare risk of sharing a chair w/two snowboarders last weekend. They were properly attired w/"real" outdoor clothing (i.e., not ratty sweatshirts), had helmets & good googles. Plus - not that this should make too much of a difference, but it does to me - they were female.

Oh man, yep not who I’d want to be sharing a chair with either! Glad you made it out unscathed.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost always ask someone if I'm forced to quad our double up if they have a preferred side, especially if they are a boarder. I also had discussions of who's going left/right/straght, etc of the chair if relevant. If I can try to minimize the chances for a crash then it's worth it to say something in my mind. Haven't offended anyone yet "as far as I know"...

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK I did not realize the snow was going to be this good, so thank you!

Now I'm torn... we were planning to go support my daughter's dance team's first competition this Saturday. It is in Middlebury... maybe I can talk Mr. Jthree into skiing the Middlebury Snow Bowl in the morning?!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
OK I did not realize the snow was going to be this good, so thank you!

Now I'm torn... we were planning to go support my daughter's dance team's first competition this Saturday. It is in Middlebury... maybe I can talk Mr. Jthree into skiing the Middlebury Snow Bowl in the morning?!

My understanding is that the snow will arrive later than that here in Vermont; more Saturday night into Sunday.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Fortunately, here in the very un steep Midwest, it’s finally been cold enough to blow snow. I went on Wednesday and it was DELIGHTFUL. Crowded, but the snow was SO lovely. We have passes to this specific hill (even though they are the most expensive) because their snow team is truly excellent. They even left my favorite trail pushed out and not groomed, so we had fun blasting through fun fluffy piles of snow.

Ironically, that was where I saw the most beginner disasters…it’s on the harder side for a Midwest blue - narrow, inconsistent slope, and when I got to the bottom the second time, there was a small pile of snowboarders who were sliding down on their butts and crying.

My mood is much improved. If it stays cold and keeps snowing I’ll stay happy!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking into mid-morning started up a few days ago in the southeast. Supposed to be a significant snowstorm in WV and northern VA on Saturday. Perfect timing since I'm headed in that direction for my usual early January week at Massanutten. :snow:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga