• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any snow anywhere East?

Jilly

Staff member
Looks like most of the chairlifts here at Tremblant. Especially the Versant Soleil! No snow under it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yup, there is only snow remaining where they have blown it. Nothing else is covered, all lift lines are bare. But we wouldn’t be likely to be skiing natural lift lines at this point in the season anyway, so no big loss on that part.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, I'm watching the traffic coming up the road as I drink my coffee. Windshield wipers are going. My gang had decided yesterday that if we get liquid snow, then no skiing.

My legs need a day off....4 days of spring slush is too much.

Christy

Angel Diva
I appreciate that Snoqualmie tries to keep it real, in their words, but showing what things are like. I suppose if you just look at the snow total you might not understand. Not everything looks like this, but an awful lot isn't even open yet either.

1703894691913.png

Attachments

• 1703894717835.png
    1703894717835.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
We managed to get a few hours in at Snoqualmie on Christmas Day before it started sleeting, but I'm hesitant to go back until they get a good dump. I don't know how they managed to open up Silver Fir yesterday.

Christy

Angel Diva
We managed to get a few hours in at Snoqualmie on Christmas Day before it started sleeting, but I'm hesitant to go back until they get a good dump. I don't know how they managed to open up Silver Fir yesterday.
40 degrees and raining at the pass right now. :( It was 64 in the city yesterday! That's just wrong. No wonder I got so hot dog walking.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I'm not sure if it's worth it for us to travel and spend the money on a weekend of skiing when there is so little terrain open. Diva West might be our first turns of the season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm not sure if it's worth it for us to travel and spend the money on a weekend of skiing when there is so little terrain open. Diva West might be our first turns of the season.
Depends what you want to get out of the skiing. I’ve had a lot of fun on little terrain (in every condition imaginable) in the 13 days I’ve skied so far this season. To me, skiing is always better than not skiing regardless of terrain open.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends what you want to get out of the skiing. I’ve had a lot of fun on little terrain (in every condition imaginable) in the 13 days I’ve skied so far this season. To me, skiing is always better than not skiing regardless of terrain open.
It is funny that as someone who coaches skiers about fear, I can not shake my own fear of other skiers crowded onto very few slopes that are icier than normal. I do love skiing, but not being able to make normal turns is a bit of a killjoy. 18 days so far. Many fun moments, but none were free ski days yet...all for work. Not worth the risk when not covered by workman's comp.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It is funny that as someone who coaches skiers about fear, I can not shake my own fear of other skiers crowded onto very few slopes that are icier than normal. I do love skiing, but not being able to make normal turns is a bit of a killjoy. 18 days so far. Many fun moments, but none were free ski days yet...all for work. Not worth the risk when not covered by workman's comp.
That’s very real and appropriate fear!

I have found on many of the days I skied this past week that waiting for pockets of crowds to go by can after give you a clear spot to ski. Not all the time though, and not on every trail! Funnily enough, the day I got hit earlier this season, was on an empty day and completely uncrowded trail. All it takes is one out of control skier unfortunately .. though I have definitely got some PTSD manifesting in feeling more sensitive to people getting too close to me right now, after that incident.

We have ironically had less icy days than usual int he East due to how warm it has been, at least the days I’ve skied. This at least seems to slow many people down because they can’t ski the bumps that form with the soft snow, or just have a harder time in spring type conditions etc. Though slowing them down seems to make more congestion by halting the flow and people get strewn about on the ground to ski around. Some trails that were especially congested I totally avoided after one run down them this past week. There were definitely spots people tended to get mucked up in, so I could at least avoid them. I would definitely be more concerned in a big crowd on a very icy day.. especially if I were somewhere like you where the general population of skiers might not be used to or very good at skiing in control on ice. Too much crowding absolutely affects the fun factor, but I am usually able to find enough good runs to outweigh the bad crowded ones. And if the fun stops, happy to end my day early as well. I was averaging 4- 5 hour ski days versus the 6 -7 hours that is my usual in most cases, and that was mostly to do with getting crowd fatigue eventually versus the wide variety of different conditions I encountered each day, which I mostly enjoyed.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not covered by Worker's Comp? Wow....
Will find out about crowds as leaving for Tahoe today..... I'm with you. I'd rather not ski in crappy conditions with crowds.... and I'm expecting both so we'll see. Snow may be expected tonight though... Will probably go to Alpine as the least crowded/popular of the mega resorts. I have both passes this year so options.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not covered by Worker's Comp? Wow....
I teach skiing for work, so I go out and have fun knowing at least medical bills are covered should I get hit or hit a rock.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I teach skiing for work, so I go out and have fun knowing at least medical bills are covered should I get hit or hit a rock.
Oh I misunderstood you. Yes, glad you are covered by Worker's Comp as you should be!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is funny that as someone who coaches skiers about fear, I can not shake my own fear of other skiers crowded onto very few slopes that are icier than normal. I do love skiing, but not being able to make normal turns is a bit of a killjoy.
This resonates so much, minus the teaching skiing part! I have been on gentler slopes with a friend and her kids, but on the firmer snow, I dart out of there in a series of precision skids because I do not want to be around anyone who could slide into me!

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
This resonates so much, minus the teaching skiing part! I have been on gentler slopes with a friend and her kids, but on the firmer snow, I dart out of there in a series of precision skids because I do not want to be around anyone who could slide into me!

Add me to the list of those who has a very healthy fear of crowded conditions. I've been taken out more times on my home mountain's chair lifts (while we're getting off) than I've ever fallen on my own while actively skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga