• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Air travel tips

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
Im just learning how to ski and heading to Deer Valley in a few weeks. This is will my first trip by air and I wondered what handy tips you veterans have about traveling with gear and clothing. Leaving my skis at home and have a separate bag for boots and helmet. Thanks!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think everyone has their own methods of course, but here's what I like to do. I take my boot bag as my carry-on. In it are my boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, knee braces, one set of layers, socks, pants, jacket. Basically, my boot bag has everything I need to ski except the skis themselves. That way, if my luggage or my skis get lost in transit, I can still ski. OR, if I'm going straight from the airport to the mountain, I don't have to dig through all of my luggage or in my suitcase to find what I need. I never, ever, ever check my boots, because they're my babies. :smile:

I will typically have one large suitcase + boot bag + skis. I always pack a thermos and water bottle.

Christy

Angel Diva
The big tip is never check your boots. As long as your boot bag goes under your seat and can then be considered a personal item, you could either bring on a rolling carry on, or a larger suitcase that you check, for everything else.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go early (at least 30-60earlier than recommended).

Since it's your first trip by air, I'd recommend shoes that are easy to take off and luggage/carry-on that will roll. If you don't take a laptop you won't have to unpack your carry on in the security line.

Don't overpack, and try to weigh your luggage at home to avoid nasty surprises.

As stated above, don't check your boots or anything else not easily replaced at the resort.

Have fun!

JacksonJoanne

Diva in Training
I've stopped taking skis when I'm flying. I use the money saved on the baggage fees towards the rental fees. I get to demo a new pair every day that's appropriate for the conditions I'm skiing and I get some ideas about the models I want to consider for my next purchase. As mentioned before, I always carry-on my boots. I got caught without those once; never again!

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there, I was in DV last month and had an amazing time - it is amazing for beginners! Were I to do it again, I'd have a much better sense of what I actually needed to bring clothing-wise. Does your lodging have a washer/dryer? Will you be doing a lot of après? I could have gotten by nicely with half of what I brought - specifically base layers, but also casual clothes, because we had laundry. Will you be having breakfast in a public room at your hotel/condo? If yes, consider slippers or flip flops so you don't need to wear clunky boots around. Not sure if you are planning to take lessons, but if you do, I wouldn't schedule anything for your first full day (if you are arriving in the afternoon/evening) as we were delayed significantly due to strong winds and didn't get to our place until 1:30 am. Nice to sleep in the next day and have time to explore.

Enjoy every minute!!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah yes... slippers! For sure... I always take some since most times you walk into your place with snow on your feet. It's handy to have them there to.. slip... into. ;)

I always overpack. I'm determined I'm not going to do that this time. I mean, I'm usually either in ski clothes or pajamas. I have no idea why I always insist on taking so many outfits for "going out". I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day, in bed by 9, and during a ski trip we might eat out once. Typically, we cook at the condo/house/wherever. One thing I can't do is cut down on the number of jackets though. I have to know that I have the right jacket for every occasion! Haha!! But this trip I'm only going to take two "street friendly" outfits. TWO.

JacksonJoanne

Diva in Training
Hi there, I was in DV last month and had an amazing time - it is amazing for beginners! Were I to do it again, I'd have a much better sense of what I actually needed to bring clothing-wise. Does your lodging have a washer/dryer? Will you be doing a lot of après? I could have gotten by nicely with half of what I brought - specifically base layers, but also casual clothes, because we had laundry. Will you be having breakfast in a public room at your hotel/condo? If yes, consider slippers or flip flops so you don't need to wear clunky boots around. Not sure if you are planning to take lessons, but if you do, I wouldn't schedule anything for your first full day (if you are arriving in the afternoon/evening) as we were delayed significantly due to strong winds and didn't get to our place until 1:30 am. Nice to sleep in the next day and have time to explore.

Enjoy every minute!!
Great suggestion on the slippers! I usually pack a pair of lightweight athletic pants to wear to breakfast or over a bathing suit to the hot tub. Yes, don't forget your bathing suit!

Christy

Angel Diva
Will you be having breakfast in a public room at your hotel/condo? If yes, consider slippers or flip flops so you don't need to wear clunky boots around.

That is a great tip--I do that too. I bring knee high insulated boots for dinner, snow boots for everything else, and my backpacking camp shoes to pad around the hotel in. I think I've gotten a little entitled at the Sun Valley Lodge because I'll even wear those ratty old "shoes" to the bar/lobby to have a drink.

2017-02-14 14.18.34.jpg

One thing I can't do is cut down on the number of jackets though.

I bring 2 because my ski jacket might get snowed on, and might stay kind of wet, and I don't want to wear a wet coat to dinner. It's a bulky item to pack and when I have a new and more waterproof jacket I may just bring the one.

Layers/laundry: I bring all my wool layers (Icebreaker, Ibex) because they do not smell. I wear them skiing multiple days rather than bring new base/mid layers for every day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Im just learning how to ski and heading to Deer Valley in a few weeks. This is will my first trip by air and I wondered what handy tips you veterans have about traveling with gear and clothing. Leaving my skis at home and have a separate bag for boots and helmet. Thanks!
Stuff something in the boots. I usually put ski socks, or boot heaters, or a hat . . . you get the idea.

Check the weather forecast. Depending on the temps, you may need more or less than you originally thought.

I recently did a 1-week trip to Taos for which I packed relatively little. Used a soft single ski bag and put a few items in it, including my ski pants on the way home. Also put in the moccasin loafers I use as indoor shoes and slippers and wear light weight snow boots on the plane. Have a rolling Transpack (not made any more) that fits my boots, plus ski clothes, plus basic every day clothing. Flying out I take it on the plane. One the way home, sometimes I'll check it since I fly Southwest and two checked bags are free. Then have a Transpack SideKick backpack with a laptop sleeve for my helmet, goggles, plus a few small items, and a book to read.

I like the Eagle Creek light weight packing "cubes." Recently round they are selling compression versions.

The SideKick holds ski boots on the outside (soft covers included) so I use that when going to the slopes. I like to boot up at the base, not in a car.

Ski travel min - 1.jpg Ski travel min - 2.jpg Ski travel min - 3.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
This isn't for just ski trips, but flying in general.. I just flew for my first time after having signed up for TSA pre-check, and it is the best EVER!! I got through security in under 5 minutes each way, didn't have to take off my shoes, unpack liquids, unpack laptop, go through the metal detector instead of the full body scan etc. Super quick and easy, and so awesome not to have to do the repack of everything when you get through. IT cost me around 10 minutes of time for the interview/fingerprinting/background check portion and $85, but it's good for 5 years.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you've got a lot of fluffy ski clothes, consider getting vacuum bags to clear up some space. I hate checking bags, so I try to stuff everything I have into just my carry ons :-)

This isn't for just ski trips, but flying in general.. I just flew for my first time after having signed up for TSA pre-check, and it is the best EVER!! I got through security in under 5 minutes each way, didn't have to take off my shoes, unpack liquids, unpack laptop, go through the metal detector instead of the full body scan etc. Super quick and easy, and so awesome not to have to do the repack of everything when you get through. IT cost me around 10 minutes of time for the interview/fingerprinting/background check portion and $85, but it's good for 5 years.

If you travel internationally, for $100-ish you can get Global Entry, which includes TSA-Pre and the ability to get through customs coming back into the US in under 10 minutes. Also good for 5 years and worth every single penny!

Christy

Angel Diva
If you travel internationally, for $100-ish you can get Global Entry, which includes TSA-Pre and the ability to get through customs coming back into the US in under 10 minutes. Also good for 5 years and worth every single penny!

Interesting the price variations...I pay $50 every 5 years for NEXUS, which is the program that gets you in the fast line at the US/Canada border, but it includes TSA pre-check and Global Entry. For half the price of just Global Entry!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ugh... I'm still on the fence whether to bring my skis or not and I leave Sunday..... Justification: I'll have space for 2 jackets and 2 pants easily if I bring my skis in my snowboard bag. This will free up room in my gigantic Burton rolling duffel... In my case, I'll be in London, Vienna and Salzburg NOT skiing so need some non skiing clothes, and one of the skiing weeks I'll be on half board with breakfast and dinner so can't go eat in my long underwear .....
Good news is my old, old Patagonia backpack carry on is the exact measurements for British Air (even are tagged approved for hand luggage BA from a previous trip)... So my boots are going in that.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'd rent.. hauling skis around London, Vienna Salzburg.. could be problematic w/cabs?

I usually pack everything I think I want then I unpack and take out 2 or 3 shirts, 2 pants & every trip I take out more.. I'll hand wash undies/socks if no washing machine. I did better this last ski trip I still had 2 shirts I never wore and 2 long johns.. note to self: keep unpacking and don't take everything I want to take! and if I need something.. shop:-) since on vacation you can always buy a shirt (or??)

Will you have a laundry access too? if so keep unpacking! I don't worry about wearing the same pants/top over again.. my friends (and most likely yours) don't care and where we eat they just want our $$$ they don't care either. I'm now taking yoga pants as my hotel go to breakfast, go to hot tub pants and I wear my mini down skirt and an icebreaker short wool skirt to 'look sort of dressed up" for dinners out and I wear to the Mt

woo hoo your count down is Really Close!!!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oooh, really want global entry!

Only downer, at least in my area is a wait of months before you can get an appointment. I am TSA approved which is so much easier. Although I did get 'selected' for a pat down coming out of SLC last year. Really?!! They were very polite about the whole thing and explained all. I was mildly annoyed since I want to waltz through for my $80! But I got over it.

If you were lots of jewelry you can set off the metal detectors. I had a bunch of Alex and Ani on and it took us a couple of tries to figure it out.

Of course the pre TSA/post 911 time I set everything off is a much better story!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna