• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on backcountry gear

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Damn this thread.:bounce: I started looking at beacons, functions, etc., and thought, well we could use a second in the household, and the Tracker 3 is on sale at backcountry.com for $250, then if you go in through activejunky it's 17% back, which makes it barely over $200....

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
Hi MissySki. I was in your position about 5 years ago but now have spent many days in the backcountry. Here are my thoughts as you start looking at BC gear:

Beacons -- I used a BCA Tracker for years and recently upgraded to a Mammut Pulse. Debated between the Mammut Pulse, Mammut Element, Ortovox 3+ and Pieps DSP. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. After lots of discussions with devoted backcountry skiers and trying out a few friends' beacons, we settled on the Mammut Pulse. Our decision was influenced by skiing in Japan with the guy who writes the Mammut (Barryvox) software and he explained how the Pulse software was much more sophisticated (bottom line: faster) than the Element so we decided the extra cost was worth it.

Shovel -- As mentioned above, definitely go with metal. Indeed, as the joke goes, if your backcountry partner has a plastic shovel then switch shovels since you want them digging you out with metal! Also consider blade size and handle style. On size, be honest about your strength and thus your ability to repeatedly lift a shovel with heavy snow chunks on the blade. After trying out a few shovels, I realized that I was faster at digging with a slightly smaller blade because I could more quickly lift and repeat. You will exhaust yourself very quickly if the blade is too large and thus lifts too much snow for your strength. As for handle, there are D-handles and T-handles. I have somewhat large hands and found the D-handles didn't fit me well. So I went for a telescoping T-handle. This is my shovel: BCA B1 shovel.

Probes -- I have the Black Diamond QuickDraw Guide Probe 300cm. You may not need such long or sturdy probes -- it really depends on the maximum depth of the snowpack where you expect to backcountry ski and how much you will use the probes (for purposes other than probing after an avalanche). With a little practice, the BD probes are quick to deploy. Luckily, I've never had to actually use them to find a buried person but I have used them frequently for practice and when digging pits to analyze snow. Having measurements on the probes is crucial so you can analyze the depth of weak layers, etc. I frequently use my probe and my husband's probe to mark the back corners and then use rope strung behind the probes to cut a block for testing. These probes are sturdy enough to hold up against such rope-sawing.

Skins -- The trade off here is between sticking to the snow on the uphill and the amount of forward glide you get from each step. I prefer Black Diamond's Ascension Nylon STS skins because they stick on the uphill really well, plus stay on your skis with the tail clips, and I am fine working a tiny bit harder with less risk of slipping backwards. Some people prefer skins (mohair, usually) that glide really well. As a novice in the backcountry, I'd suggest you go for stickiness over gliding because you'll feel more confident as you learn uphill technique and sliding backwards in the skin track sucks.

Skis/Setup -- I agree with the prior comments that the ski/binding/boots combination you choose depends largely on factors such as the amount of time you expect to be going uphill, whether you want to use your current alpine boots, and the snow conditions/terrain you'll be skiing. Through trial and error, I have found that I VERY much prefer a slightly heavier, damper BC ski than some people might recommend because a heavier, damper ski can handle variable BC conditions better. I am fairly lightweight for my height and I get bounced around a lot when skiing really light skis in crud or chop (I'm sure my technique could use some improvement too!). To be clear, I'm not talking about a really heavy inbounds ski, but just a ski heavier then some BC skiers would choose. For this reason, I just bought Blizzard Samba 172s and will ski them in New Zealand this season (starting in July). I will report back on them. I have been mostly BC skiing on K2 GotBacks and carbon pure DPS Yvettes and both are a bit too light/rebound too much in variable conditions. Where I save on weight for the uphill is in my bindings and boots. I love my Dynafit TLT5 boots. I had tons of boot problems (lost toenails, blisters, etc.) until a boot fitter in SLC put me in the Dynafits. I will never go back to alpine boots. With the carbon fiber cuff, I find the dynafit boots are stiff enough to ski hard but still super lightweight. I also love my dynafit TLT radical bindings. I sometimes ski fairly technical, steep terrain (but rarely catch air) and they have performed well.

Backpack -- I highly recommend an airbag for any backcountry skiing, but they are expensive. I have a heavy Mystery Ranch BlackJack airbag pack that I have used in the US and Canada for longer tours. The pack has held up incredibly well and is amazingly comfortable, but it is very heavy duty. Too heavy and big to wear on lifts/sidecountry skiing, although I've done it where I didn't plan to ride many lifts. I demo'd a Mammut RAS Ride Short pack in Japan and loved it (the "short" is a female specific design and fits my shorter torso better - I am 5'8" but still fits better). I will probably buy one this year. When I don't ski with an airbag but want my avy gear with me, I use either this Osprey 22L pack or this MHM 32L pack. Both have dedicated pockets for avy gear (a must, in my opinion) and carry skis well for hiking, which I tend to do when skiing inbounds.

Hope this helps as you start on your backcountry gear collection! I also took the Avy 1 class before I ever really ventured into the backcountry. Definitely a good way to start.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@PowderNomad thank you so much for the incredibly detailed response, such a great wealth of information here!!
For example, the preferences you've discussed with skins would not have been intuitive to me, for some reason I had in mind that mohair must be the best option. Your rationale does make sense though since I need practice and confidence building above all else to start. I'll definitely be using this as a reference when turning around all of the options for gear in my head during the offseason here.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Sambas!

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
@MissySki, I'm excited about the Sambas too! They're currently on a container ship heading toward NZ -- hoping they make it there in time to ski them on my first day back on the slopes there!

As for the BC, you've taken the first step by getting a beacon and planning to take the Avy 1 class. I started out very cautiously too, and am still cautious as one should be in the BC, but it really is worth it to get into the mountains under your own power. Earning your turns feels good. If you have other questions when you start buying gear, feel free to ask.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Totally missed this thread!

Good advice from everyone here.

As far as transceivers, "the best transceiver is the one you practice with". I have a Mammut Pulse and love it, but I know others who have the Pieps and use it just fine. If we switch, we're slow. Practice, practice, practice!

I have two BCA probes, a 240 cm and a 300 cm. The 300 cm has the same number of sections and is therefore longer when it's collapsed, and doesn't fit worth a da*n in either of my two packs, both of which are 45L. I generally only carry it if I'm heading into an avalanche scene with SAR. I personally don't like the probes inside the shovel handles. It's more compact to carry, but one more thing to grab and fiddle with when you're in the moment.

Shovels, agree about all the previous points. I have a BCA Traverse Shovel, which is like an older version of the B1. There are some shovels that can be used in either a traditional shovel shape or converted to a shape like a garden hoe (where the handle and blade are perpendicular), and my teammates that have these are quite efficient with them, because you should really be just pushing snow downhill rather than digging anyway.

Skis...yes, light is good. I use my Atomic Centuries (2010, 100 mm waist) as my AT setup, and the skis are nice and light, as well as very versatile. I killed my weight with my Fritschi bindings, but will go tech when I next need to replace my AT boots (which I also use as my downhill boots at the moment).

For skins, I currently have the Black Diamond Ascension nylon skins. I have previously had the BD GlideLite Mohair Mix skins, which are a mix of mohair and nylon. I like the excellent grip of the nylon on steep, icy uptracks, but more often I hate the fact that they don't glide as well. I am pretty consistently the person in my group that achieves the shortest glide distance on any short little downhill on the skin track. The nylon is also a bit heavier and I find them bulkier in my pack. Next time I'm going back to a mix. As far as brand goes, I prefer the tip and tail attachments on the BD skins over the G3 skins but have no experience with any others.

For backpacks, I find that the most important thing is to find something that fits well and works with your system. I haven't gone the airbag route (yet), and I hope that the technology will continue to advance. I was surprised that the new packs that are fan-powered instead of canister-powered weren't much lighter but I have hopes that they're just extremely over engineered at this point and that they'll drop in weight and price. Personally, I ski with a 45 L pack most of the time. It's not stuffed full on a day trip, but there is absolutely no way I'd get my gear in a 25 L pack that I see some people carry. I probably carry way more than most, courtesy of my SAR experience and the emergency gear that I carry. I inherited an older Dakine pack this year that's in the 35 L range, but the jury's still out on how much I can fit in it, and it doesn't fit my shovel and probe well. I love back-panel loading for not having to drop the bottom or back of the pack in the snow to access stuff, but find that no matter how well I've packed at the beginning of the day, after I've rummaged around in it a few times it kind of squishes into itself and seems to get smaller...probably a function of sitting on it's front while being packed. It's a nice feature, but in a lot of ways I really prefer my basic top-loading pack (which still has a separate place I can put shovel/probe/saw so they're contained).

Hope that helps!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just got my bindings in.. I went with the Marker Tour F10, seemed to be one of the lightest of the bunch without going to a tech binding to start. Seemed like a good balance of staying semi light without necessitating specific boots and more expensive bindings to start out and see how much I like touring next season. Since I have an awful track record with boots I didn't want that to have to be on the table too right now haha. I certainly will not rule out switching to a tech setup if I love it and start doing longer excursions after next season though.

So far the little group I will be starting out with for doing an avy 1 class and short trips next season are also all backcountry newbies using the heavier rail binding setups rather than the tech ones so at least we will all be in a similar boat weight wise and I therefore shouldn't lag behind ridiculously from it. If the rest of the group was going to be at a significant weight advantage I likely would have chosen differently.

Skins are such an interesting topic, it's nice to hear people's takes on the different material options.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki, I'm excited about the Sambas too! They're currently on a container ship heading toward NZ -- hoping they make it there in time to ski them on my first day back on the slopes there!

As for the BC, you've taken the first step by getting a beacon and planning to take the Avy 1 class. I started out very cautiously too, and am still cautious as one should be in the BC, but it really is worth it to get into the mountains under your own power. Earning your turns feels good. If you have other questions when you start buying gear, feel free to ask.

@PowderNomad curious if you have gotten on the Sambas yet, and your thoughts if you have. :smile:

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
@PowderNomad curious if you have gotten on the Sambas yet, and your thoughts if you have. :smile:

Not yet, sadly. NZ customs finally released all our gear only yesterday! I hope to ski them much of next week, and I'll report back once I have tested them in a variety of conditions.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure about the airbag. For short tours, 1.5 hour climb max, yes, they make sense, but for longer tours where you need more stuff to carry, they add to much weight, which will slow you down. Better be quick as in this case you reduce your exposure to risky conditions. I use the airbag for daily skiing, but for touring I go for a normal backpack.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna