• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A guide to Smith lenses

@surfsnowgirl What lenses do you have?

Embarrassingly I don't know. I bought them at Mount Snow vermont last October during Columbus weekend. They didn't come in a box so I got an extra discount on them. I will look at them to see if its easy to see which model they are

brewski

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, perfect guide as I am thinking of buying the Smith I/O. I know a lot of people have these goggles, which combo is everyones favourite?

I just purchased the Smith IOS at the beginning of this season and love them. I have high cheek bones and it's always hard finding something that doesn't lay on my face weird or move around if I smile etc. Absolutely love the Smith IOS's!

Norrland

Certified Ski Diva
@brewski Great to hear! Is that the i/o or i/os? I tried on a pair the other week that fit great but forgot to write down the model's name and none of the stores in my town sell it :(

As for lenses, when ordering the combos seem to be red sol-x & blue sensor or green sol-x and red sensor. I seem to have read that a lot of people prefer the blue sensor over the red for low light..

brewski

Certified Ski Diva
@brewski Great to hear! Is that the i/o or i/os? I tried on a pair the other week that fit great but forgot to write down the model's name and none of the stores in my town sell it :(

As for lenses, when ordering the combos seem to be red sol-x & blue sensor or green sol-x and red sensor. I seem to have read that a lot of people prefer the blue sensor over the red for low light..

I purchased the IOS, they are a tad smaller than the IO. The IOS is their women's version.
I went with the green/blue sol-x lenses and have wore them on both bluebird and cloudy days and were perfect!

These are the exact ones that I have: https://www.tactics.com/smith/i-os-goggles/white-feathers-green-sol-x-mirror-lens-bonus-lens

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Smith IOS and love them. For New England I got the Sensor Mirror for cloudy days, and the Ignitor Mirror for all others. Really sunny days tend to be in the Spring, and then I'm usually wearing sunglasses. But I am thinking about maybe getting the Green SolX mirror to fill in the cold sunny day gap.

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
@surfsnowgirl, I think those are the Red Sol-X mirror lenses. I have the same ones! I bought these at the beginning of the season...

s-l300.jpg

Smith I/O Womens in Angel Supernatural

...and have been really happy with them! Which was kind of a gamble since I hated goggles growing up. They're comfortable on my face, don't fog (unless it's really cold and I have my collar covering my mouth), and don't feel claustrophobic.

I can't recall where I bought them (backcountry.com?), but it was the two-lens package that came with the Red Sol-X and Blue Sensor. I have used both lenses this year and they seem to each work well for their recommended conditions (Red Sol for bright light, Blue Sensor for low). I usually just make a choice in the morning and stick with one lens all day, so have been caught in the "wrong" conditions for both lenses. The Red Sol-X wasn't bad in the kind of low light conditions you might see during cloudy periods or late in the day on an otherwise bluebird day (more of a blue tint), but got worse when it's that real flat, snowy light - not terrible, mind you, just wish I had some more contrast. I didn't like the Blue Sensors in bright light. It started off overcast and snowy at Winter Park yesterday and got sunnier (and more windy) as the day went on, and my eyes feel more sensitive than usual today.

For all the ladies who have goggles with interchangeable lenses, do you ever carry the other lens with you or just stick with one all day? I've thought about bringing both with me, but they're a bit bulky/awkward and I feel like I already have enough junk in my coat pockets.

I think those are the ones, glad you love them :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For all the ladies who have goggles with interchangeable lenses, do you ever carry the other lens with you or just stick with one all day? I've thought about bringing both with me, but they're a bit bulky/awkward and I feel like I already have enough junk in my coat pockets.
If I think the light is going to change and I'm at a big mountain, I'll bring a second lens. But in that case I usually have a small pack so carrying a lens is not an issue. I only change lenses indoors. Can do it outside but it's not worth the effort.

Lately I've been using the Platinum Mirror for bright days and the Blue Sensor when partly cloudy. Pretty sure I'm using the Ignitor Mirror for flat light and night skiing.

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
If I think the light is going to change and I'm at a big mountain, I'll bring a second lens. But in that case I usually have a small pack so carrying a lens is not an issue. I only change lenses indoors. Can do it outside but it's not worth the effort.

Lately I've been using the Platinum Mirror for bright days and the Blue Sensor when partly cloudy. Pretty sure I'm using the Ignitor Mirror for flat light and night skiing.

Thank you, that's very helpful! I think I'm going to start carrying both because my eyes were bugging me up until yesterday morning. I'll look into the Platinum and Ignitor Mirror lenses as well...hopefully those will go on sale soon.

Norrland

Certified Ski Diva
I received my new goggles today! I got the Smith i/o with green sol-x and red sensor mirror, found a great deal on them online. I love the fit and look of them, now I just hope they are great when skiing too.

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
I'm price checking some of the replacement lenses and thought the bit by the arrow was funny...

goggles.png

I was thinking something like flat light, lots of sunshine, etc., would have been more helpful, but seeing clearly is important too, I guess. :thumb:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, that's very helpful! I think I'm going to start carrying both because my eyes were bugging me up until yesterday morning. I'll look into the Platinum and Ignitor Mirror lenses as well...hopefully those will go on sale soon.

I bought Smith goggles with the red sensor lenses a few weeks ago. I was squinting constantly, even though it wasn't all that sunny out. So I bought both the RC36 and the Ignitor Mirror - there are only four lenses available for this goggle, so that helped me choose. I installed the Ignitor Mirror, and I've been very happy with it so far. It's a pain to swap lenses for these goggles, so I'll probably stick with this lens for all conditions.

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
I bought Smith goggles with the red sensor lenses a few weeks ago. I was squinting constantly, even though it wasn't all that sunny out. So I bought both the RC36 and the Ignitor Mirror - there are only four lenses available for this goggle, so that helped me choose. I installed the Ignitor Mirror, and I've been very happy with it so far. It's a pain to swap lenses for these goggles, so I'll probably stick with this lens for all conditions.

OK, that settles it - I'm definitely buying the Ignitors. Thanks!

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
OK, that settles it - I'm definitely buying the Ignitors. Thanks!

OK, so I bought the Ignitor Mirror lens from Amazon (same as the ones in the ad above) and something seems off about them, like they might be knockoffs, off. For one thing, I ordered the Ignitor Mirror and received a lens that is definitely not mirrored. It's a darker shade of rose, kind of like the RC36. Also, there isn't a Smith or I/O logo on them and the curve of the lens if different. Finally, the Amazon site lists both an Ignitor Mirror and Ignitor 2 model, but I can't find the latter anywhere on Smith's website.

@bounceswoosh or any of the other ladies with the Ignitor Mirror or RC36, could you post a picture of yours or confirm that they have the Smith logo on them? I'm getting ready to email Smith (then Amazon) about this, but I want to make sure I'm not just imagining a problem where there isn't one. THANKS! (and if this turns out to be big drama, I'll post the whole ordeal in a thread of its own)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so I bought the Ignitor Mirror lens from Amazon (same as the ones in the ad above) and something seems off about them, like they might be knockoffs, off. For one thing, I ordered the Ignitor Mirror and received a lens that is definitely not mirrored. It's a darker shade of rose, kind of like the RC36. Also, there isn't a Smith or I/O logo on them and the curve of the lens if different. Finally, the Amazon site lists both an Ignitor Mirror and Ignitor 2 model, but I can't find the latter anywhere on Smith's website.

@bounceswoosh or any of the other ladies with the Ignitor Mirror or RC36, could you post a picture of yours or confirm that they have the Smith logo on them? I'm getting ready to email Smith (then Amazon) about this, but I want to make sure I'm not just imagining a problem where there isn't one. THANKS! (and if this turns out to be big drama, I'll post the whole ordeal in a thread of its own)

Hrm. I bought mine through the Smith site directly. I just left the condo for a few days with the goggles up there, so I can't look at them. But I don't think there's a logo on mine (which are specifically the Knowledge): https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/Knowledge-OTG-Replacement-Lenses/p/KN4E

I wonder if they sent you the wrong lens.

a_banana

Certified Ski Diva
Hrm. I bought mine through the Smith site directly. I just left the condo for a few days with the goggles up there, so I can't look at them. But I don't think there's a logo on mine (which are specifically the Knowledge): https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/Knowledge-OTG-Replacement-Lenses/p/KN4E

I wonder if they sent you the wrong lens.

That's ok, but thank you for checking! It's entirely possible that it was an honest mistake, but (cue the music) I can't fight this feeling anymooooorrrrre. OTOH, I'm very much a crusader type who would love for this to turn into an IMPORTANT CAUSE! ALERT THE MEDIA! :laughter:so I'm trying to be mindful of that and make sure I get all the facts first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga