• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A guide to Smith lenses

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's been some discussion in other threads about which Smith goggle lens is best for which type of conditions. Today I stumbled upon something that can help: a pretty comprehensive review of a wide range of Smith lenses. So if all the choices leave you confused, go here.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Was on a hunt for low-light Smith lens for DH earlier this season, and I really wish they had a “through the lens” simulation like Oakley has. Seeing the lens on someone just isn’t enough, nor is the % of VLT (although it can be a good *general* indicator). Was totally on the fence about ignitor versus gold sensor. And sensor mirror has blue tint but actually is pink-tinted looking from the inside out. Wound up getting him the gold, it’s working, but it was a guess.

Here is Oakley’s simulation:
https://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints

Sport performance>snow goggles section shows all their lens tints, through the lens.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone know if the lens is interchangeable on the Anthem? It looks like it should come out if you do something to the little knobbles on the front but I am too nervous to try it myself in case I am wrong and break them. It would be great to be able to have a low/flat light option.

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone know if the lens is interchangeable on the Anthem? It looks like it should come out if you do something to the little knobbles on the front but I am too nervous to try it myself in case I am wrong and break them. It would be great to be able to have a low/flat light option.

It sure is. I have those. I use the rc36 lens for most conditions and a low-light sensor mirror lens for night skiing and dark, storm days. The lenses are a little stiff and hard to change at first, but they get easier with time!

Kym

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for that! Very helpful. Last year I bought some goggles that came with 2 different lenses - One very orange and the other kind of rose tinted. I couldn't figure out what the real difference was and had googled it and not come up with much. That link was awesome.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sure is. I have those. I use the rc36 lens for most conditions and a low-light sensor mirror lens for night skiing and dark, storm days. The lenses are a little stiff and hard to change at first, but they get easier with time!

Ooh! Thanks! I'll feel brave enough to give it go now. Mine have the Ignitor Mirror fitted but the Sensor mirror looks perfect as a low-light counterpart. I've bookmarked the article for a proper read later today

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My main-stay is a pair of Smith IOS. The Ignitor mirror is a good lens for bluebird days here in New Iceland. The Sensor mirror is a good lens for those days when it's bluebird sometimes, but the clouds are rolling through. Not in but through. If the clouds are rolling in here, I switch off to my Oakleys with the HI yellow lens.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
If the clouds are rolling in here, I switch off to my Oakleys with the HI yellow lens.
Agree, it's my go-to lens in the "blue light" of mid-winter - sun doesn't crest the head walls here until late Feb-early March. Perpetual twilight in Dec-Jan! But got DH the gold sensor Smith lens, which is 70% VLT, and he likes it a lot; it does "neutralize" some of that blinding blue.

It's a task to change out non-easily-interchangeable lenses, but it's often worth it. I have bought goggles just for the lenses (ebay), taken them out and put them in frames I prefer. Photochromatic appears to be the solid wave of the future - but only will work for me if they can lighten WAY up. Most still too dark at lightest range.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What "blue twilight" looks like at Sugarloaf in December, this is as bright as it gets:
ry%3D400

dividedsky75

Angel Diva
I recently got the Smith IOS with the ignitor mirror and blue sensor mirror lenses. I have a hard time with darker lenses and the blue sensor was absolutely perfect for me today in a gray sky/flurry kind of day. I just got the Variant Brim helmet too and it was the first time I had worn a helmet ever and the first time I had worn goggles in years. They worked perfectly together. The IOS had a nice fit with good peripheral vision too.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have found the Blue Sensor replacement lens for my Anthems on Amazon UK for £55, but am wondering whether it would be better just to buy a 2nd pair of whole goggles with it in and forget about popping the lens in & out?

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging G Hoodie!!!! If you see this I really need your help, my replacement sensor lens arrived today for my Anthem's ahead of my trip on the 18th Jan and I can't figure out how to pop the existing one out without breaking something! Please can you tell me how you do it? Thank you!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Otherwise, e-mail Smith.
Address: [email protected]
Molly Morris, Email coordinator
They are prompt; I recently had a question regarding women's/men's helmet sizing. They responded within 24 hours.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've long loved my Smith Knowledge sensor mirrors and I'm sick of contacts so I just got another pair in the OTG model. They work perfectly, with none of the fogging that people complain about with OTG.

I look like an old man now, wearing glasses while I ski, but whatever.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Emailed Molly, she got back to me within 10 minutes with great advice, lenses successfully swapped. That's some fabulous customer service. Well done Smith Optics and thanks again MSL for the tip off.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping because I found this while searching for lens comparisons for my new Knowledge goggles. Thanks, @ski diva !

Norrland

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, perfect guide as I am thinking of buying the Smith I/O. I know a lot of people have these goggles, which combo is everyones favourite?

Love them and I am not a goggle fan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna