• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2018 Black Pearl(s) no more Samba; 2 Sheevas?

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Just demoed the 78 and 88 2018 black pearls.. 78 was nice but I have my slicer dice atomic cloud 11s so wasn't wowed BUT 88'S. Omg what a difference from my 4yr old BP'S I really loved them skied the same fun responsive but a quieter ride no tip flap at all I was in spring corn conditions with icey shady parts. Lived them want them the demo guy said I'd be lusting for them. Yup.. may just sell the old and get the new. The vantage 95 was also my too pick. I have skied the 90s they were out. I'll do a demo report later. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BP 88s
yeah, I really liked the vantage 90s....but I just bought black pearls 1.75 seasons ago...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just demoed the 78 and 88 2018 black pearls.. 78 was nice but I have my slicer dice atomic cloud 11s so wasn't wowed BUT 88'S. Omg what a difference from my 4yr old BP'S I really loved them skied the same fun responsive but a quieter ride no tip flap at all I was in spring corn conditions with icey shady parts. Lived them want them the demo guy said I'd be lusting for them. Yup.. may just sell the old and get the new. The vantage 95 was also my too pick. I have skied the 90s they were out. I'll do a demo report later. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BP 88s
So, your sentiments echo mine! Yes, quieter tip, responsive still, loads of energy when you want them to have it, yet compliant when you don't. They are fun, aren't they??!! Another plus for me is they don't ski differently enough from my powder skis--the Nordica Santa Anas, to have to make huge "adjustments" to my technique when switching between the two. I can go back and forth between the two without missing a beat. Taking them both to Grand Targhee this weekend, although I have a feeling it's going to be a Santa Ana weekend (oh darn!)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes!! I loved them!! Much quieter tip and still loads of energy.. guess this is why I'm not a fan of volkls and the Santa Ana they just seemed a tad planky compared to BP's and Atomic Vantage series. bet I'd like the older model you have.. the 2018 Santa Ana was nice but didn't 'wow' me like BP's and Vantage.. I also didn't like the new Line's 92's under foot switched from poplar to maple core much stiffer and not fun like BP's.. Have a great time at Targhee!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, the "older" Santa Anas have that same playful energy. I hope I can get out on the Atomics next month when we host a demo day here. Can't remember if they were here last season or not. I hope Blizzard is here, too, because I want to get out on the BP 98s--the Samba replacement.

caramia

Certified Ski Diva
Super excited for the new Black Pearl 88! For those of you that have skied the 2018 BP 88 and pre-2018 BP's, have you found that one skis longer or feels different as far as the length (hope I'm asking that right)? I noticed that the new BP's have a smaller radius and I'm wondering if that affects how it skis in the shorter or longer length. I need to decide on a 159 or 166. Many of the posts I've read say 166 would be a good length for my height, weight and ski level (5'5" 130 intermediate), but that's with the pre-2018 BP's, so I'm wondering if that will change with the newly updated BP's.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Super excited for the new Black Pearl 88! For those of you that have skied the 2018 BP 88 and pre-2018 BP's, have you found that one skis longer or feels different as far as the length (hope I'm asking that right)? I noticed that the new BP's have a smaller radius and I'm wondering if that affects how it skis in the shorter or longer length. I need to decide on a 159 or 166. Many of the posts I've read say 166 would be a good length for my height, weight and ski level (5'5" 130 intermediate), but that's with the pre-2018 BP's, so I'm wondering if that will change with the newly updated BP's.
What region will you be skiing in most of the time?

I only did one run during the Alta Demo Day in April on the BP 88 @159cm, mostly on groomed snow with a few inches of fresh (it was still snowing) on top. So can't say much about the differences between the new BP and my 2012 BPs. They were definitely fun with less tip chatter. If I were in the market, I would have no reason to change length.

For what it's worth, my old BPs are 159cm and I'm an advanced skier who is several inches shorter and a bit lighter than you are. I would suggest that you consider the 166cm.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Caramia,
The new Black Pearl 88 doesn't ski longer or shorter than the previous generation. It does have a slightly quicker turn radius,(not a ton quicker) which makes it a little easier to ski while giving it a little extra kick in the pants.
I think the new one appeals better to wider range of ski abilities.
@contesstant is one of our Pugski.com ski testers. She owned the previous BP and loved the new one so much, she bought a pair. I hope she chimes in. She's probably out on her bike. :D

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want. If anyone has the 159's and is interested in selling, please let me know. I know they're new so it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but in case someone who bought the new ones and subsequently scored a major deal on a different pair of 88mm-90mm skis, or bought 2 pairs by accident in a drunken haze, or if someone bought them covertly and then was gifted a pair, and now wants to sell, just PM me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with @SnowHot that they don't ski any longer or shorter than the predecessors.
I'm very similar stats, @caramia, and I own the 166. I suppose for bumps or tight trees, I might prefer the 159, but the 166 is not too much ski by any stretch.

And yes, I've been out on my bike! :becky:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fyi, and apologies if this has been mentioned, but the Blizzard Brahma men's ski comes in a version called the "Brahma CA" which I understand to be identical to the Black Pearl 88. It comes in 166, 173, 180, and 187 lengths. I'm just throwing this out in case those sizes work for any Divas.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 Fulluvit 95 ti? Despite buying the Santa Ana 100, I am still so curious about this one. I am going to look when I am in Big Sky, but I already struck out trying to demo it at Snowmass/Aspen.

@lisamamot just re-reading this post. I skied k2 Full of it at Mammoth in July.. I liked it better than the Santa Ana. I felt like I over powered the SA.. K2 was very nice in spring bumps, frozen salted groomed although I'd rather have less under foot for carving (ripping) they performed well, went fast, slow, easy to make little turns in bumps. Overall a nice ski. I'm still an atomic/blizzard girl though..... Hope you get to try it..

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot just re-reading this post. I skied k2 Full of it at Mammoth in July.. I liked it better than the Santa Ana. I felt like I over powered the SA.. K2 was very nice in spring bumps, frozen salted groomed although I'd rather have less under foot for carving (ripping) they performed well, went fast, slow, easy to make little turns in bumps. Overall a nice ski. I'm still an atomic/blizzard girl though..... Hope you get to try it..
I think there is a place for both skis in a quiver.
I love the Fulluvit 95 for a daily driver, fun nimble and enough shape to turn nicely. The Santa Ana 100 is more like a powder day option for me. I don't really consider it a daily driver, yet it can be a one ski quiver for a trip if you think there is a chance of a little bit of everything.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stand corrected! Thanks to Tricia (SnowHot here? I'm still learning handles, sorry!) for clarifying on Pugski that the Brahma CA and the BP 88 are not identical!
Here's the very informative post:

"I noticed that you made a post about the likeness between the Brahma CA and the Black Pearl 88 on SkiDiva.
If you're considering the Brahma, which is a fine choice, you should probably know that the CA version is not the same as the Black Pearl 88.
All of the in line models of Brahma have a different shape and construction than the Black Pearl 88
The similarity is in the SP versions -
The Blizzard Brahma Ca SP is the same shape as the Black Pearl 88 SP but the Black Pearl 88 SP still has the Lite Core (different wood) and WSD Flipcore, which has different integration of Carbon.
The W2W design is definitely different from anything on the men's side."

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I think there is a place for both skis in a quiver.
I love the Fulluvit 95 for a daily driver, fun nimble and enough shape to turn nicely. The Santa Ana 100 is more like a powder day option for me. I don't really consider it a daily driver, yet it can be a one ski quiver for a trip if you think there is a chance of a little bit of everything.

I used the Santa Ana 100 177 as my trip ski last winter, and overall it was a great choice, although I admit I would have liked something a bit shorter/narrower in the steep tight trees. I was hoping to find the K2 Fulluvit 95 170 to demo on my travels (Snowmass and Big Sky), but struck out. It sounds like it could be a good east/west ski too.

Now I hear about the Head Wild Joy - I am hoping to get on that at an early season demo too. So many skis......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna