• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2018 Black Pearl(s) no more Samba; 2 Sheevas?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I skied the FullLuvit 88. Super surfy and smeary, but to me it was an 88mm powder-specific ski. I did not love it on the groomed snow at all.

I'm beginning to think I'm just a Blizzard/Nordica kind of girl, though.

That is really interesting - I conversed with Backcountry at length when I was trying to make my decision, and he was really steering me towards the K2 for more hard snow worthiness. I was very intrigued by that....but maybe not?!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That is really interesting - I conversed with Backcountry at length when I was trying to make my decision, and he was really steering me towards the K2 for more hard snow worthiness. I was very intrigued by that....but maybe not?!
I was thinking the same thing about the k2 fuluvit..

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 Fulluvit 95 ti? Despite buying the Santa Ana 100, I am still so curious about this one. I am going to look when I am in Big Sky, but I already struck out trying to demo it at Snowmass/Aspen.

Ok I'll try it.. Nordica, blizzard, Volkl, Atomic will all be at demo day..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, not in my book! Not even close. Isn't that funny? This is where demoing comes into play AND talking to people who have actually skied the skis. I typically think that I halfway know what I'm feeling on a pair of skis considering my sentiments tend to match those of other people. But who knows LOL. :tongue:

In fact, for whatever reason, the FullLuvit 88 felt WIDER to me than my Santa Ana 100s.

Hoping to have the Black Pearls mounted up for me tomorrow. Convincing my new man friend that a date night of us mounting my skis together is perfectly acceptable is getting some resistance. What's wrong with him?! :becky::love:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
so. Yesterday, demo day. I only got to Nordica, Atomic, K2, and Elan. Skied 3 skis from each. And This morning, I spent an hour and 1/2 in a conference room with the industry reps for Blizzard/Technica. Great news on their woman to woman initiative, lots of changes coming, which is why we were there, as participants in a women's only focus group in order to gain feedback on the next year's line up. Lots of info. Then we got to ski Blizzard's next year's line up.

Anyway, some insight on the Black Pearl 78/88/98. They replaced the Cheyenne and the Samba with the Black Pearl nomenclature because it is the number one selling ski in all of north America, including mens skis. And their vendor feedback was this: often women would come into the shop and say, I want the black pearl, despite the Cheyenne or the Samba being the better choice for one or all of three reasons. 1. Where they ski the most often, region, run type 2. What type of snow and conditions they encounter 3. How they like to ski, style wise, GS, Slalom, conservative, aggressive. But even though they all were similar in construction, everyone wanted the Black Pearl regardless. So Blizzard/Technica didn't want a bad customer experience down the line because women were choosing the wrong ski for their needs based on name alone. Therefore all are similar construction, all are in the sweet spot of an "all mountain ski", each with a slightly different point of focus, the narrower 78 for mogul and tree skier, the 98 more of a powder entry, and the 88 the true all mountain in between.

So as this is my second season on my Black Pearls, I was curious to say the least about the 2018s. They have a sexy new sidecut with a nicer turning radius and are really easy to edge up, hold the turn, and carve right through. Little more of everything that I loved about mine. There certainly were no regressions. The 78 held it's own on the turns, would be fantastic if you are more of a short turn skier. The 98 were too wide for conditions here to truly judge, were really floaty and needed a little more command, but I was skiing wet fresh snow over ice, and a choppy mess and only on a 159 (I ski a 166, and now after demo really think I should have gotten the 173). So I'd prefer really to hold my judgement on those until I can demo them in more favorable conditions. Some of the better skiers with a little more power behind them, still preferred the 98 even here in this crap we call snow. I think they would be a lot of fun at Big Sky.

Other skis that I tested that really will give the black pearl a run for their money: The santa ana 93, the k2 All Luv it 88, and the Atomic Vantage 90. I skied all of these (the 169) and man, I Loved them all. In fact, the entire vantage series took me by surprise. LOTS of spring out of the turn. The Elans were a major disappointment. Way too much chatter and just meh.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good stuff, @artistinsuburbia! Your sentiments about the new BP 88s echo mine. Funny, I found the new Santa Ana 93 to be a lot more ski than I would want to push around all day and the AllLuvit felt like an 88mm powder ski. Can I ask, how long (like vertical or minutes) did you ski each one?

And I'm wishing I had gotten on the Atomics, but just ran out of time.
And my BP 88s are being mounted up tonight so I will ski them tomorrow, and all weekend :banana: We even have a storm or two moving in this weekend, so I'll get to test them in some more powder, too. (They were awesome in the 6 inches or so of creamy, dense powder we had until about halfway down the mountain on testing day.)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Good stuff, @artistinsuburbia! Your sentiments about the new BP 88s echo mine. Funny, I found the new Santa Ana 93 to be a lot more ski than I would want to push around all day and the AllLuvit felt like an 88mm powder ski. Can I ask, how long (like vertical or minutes) did you ski each one?

And I'm wishing I had gotten on the Atomics, but just ran out of time.
And my BP 88s are being mounted up tonight so I will ski them tomorrow, and all weekend :banana: We even have a storm or two moving in this weekend, so I'll get to test them in some more powder, too. (They were awesome in the 6 inches or so of creamy, dense powder we had until about halfway down the mountain on testing day.)
Well, there were 65 of us and not that many demos in each tent, so I didn't get but a few runs each. And that was my take away from the experience, it was really hard to judge each ski in a detailed comparison as I really didn't get to give them a true run for the money on variable terrain, after the "getting used to them" feeling had broken in. I got maybe one run at that level. It was enough to break the winners from the losers, but not the nuances of each. And because of variable lengths, each one skied different based on what was available, which skewed my opinion of some rather poorly, as most reps brought, as typical, many more shorter skis than longer ones. Plus I'm fairly aggressive with speed, so I preferred the models with the titanium. I did not get to try the Sheeva, as conditions just wouldn't have that. But they had a new ski there with a system binding. Darned if I can remember the name. More of a front side carver. Gave the K2 74ti Luv Machine a run for it's money.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, there were 65 of us and not that many demos in each tent, so I didn't get but a few runs each. And that was my take away from the experience, it was really hard to judge each ski in a detailed comparison as I really didn't get to give them a true run for the money on variable terrain, after the "getting used to them" feeling had broken in. I got maybe one run at that level. It was enough to break the winners from the losers, but not the nuances of each. And because of variable lengths, each one skied different based on what was available, which skewed my opinion of some rather poorly, as most reps brought, as typical, many more shorter skis than longer ones. Plus I'm fairly aggressive with speed, so I preferred the models with the titanium. I did not get to try the Sheeva, as conditions just wouldn't have that. But they had a new ski there with a system binding. Darned if I can remember the name. More of a front side carver. Gave the K2 74ti Luv Machine a run for it's money.
Oh the Sheeva! Me thinks you'd like it! @Tricia was laying down railroad tracks on hers in manky, nasty, slushy stuff in the RAIN! And yet I loved them, too, in my intermediate-world. While our conditions were challenging when we tested, we did get to put each ski through the wringer because conditions varied so greatly from top-to-bottom. One run is 2500 vertical (give or take) and it was a blizzard up top and a sleet/rain storm at the bottom. The next day, the rained on areas refroze into chicken heads and a few sheets of ice. Later in the day, there were ill-formed moguls with patches of ice in between. Crazy conditions, but crazy GOOD conditions for putting the skis to the test.

On a few of the skis, I could discern within about 300 feet on our bunny hill if I would like them or not.

Black Pearls are ready to be skied today! Woot woot!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Oh the Sheeva! Me thinks you'd like it! @Tricia was laying down railroad tracks on hers in manky, nasty, slushy stuff in the RAIN! And yet I loved them, too, in my intermediate-world. While our conditions were challenging when we tested, we did get to put each ski through the wringer because conditions varied so greatly from top-to-bottom. One run is 2500 vertical (give or take) and it was a blizzard up top and a sleet/rain storm at the bottom. The next day, the rained on areas refroze into chicken heads and a few sheets of ice. Later in the day, there were ill-formed moguls with patches of ice in between. Crazy conditions, but crazy GOOD conditions for putting the skis to the test.

On a few of the skis, I could discern within about 300 feet on our bunny hill if I would like them or not.

Black Pearls are ready to be skied today! Woot woot!
I bet I would! If I didn't live in the foothills of the east. lol. I came home after that two days and asked my hubby if he could sell his business and retire, then sell everything we own and become ski bums. tee hee. it was so much fun. I would kill for a 2500' vertical (we are at 761) but the conditions sound familiar. it was 56 last weekend which cause the whole mountain to become one giant glacier. Then it snowed 3" the night before, and was snowing wet snow, and the snowmakers were running full bore causing wet spots that slow you down so quickly it almost forces double ejection, so every skier was forced to use the same lines around the blowing car washes, and it got manky quickly. I'll be excited hear what you think because it sounds like you are going to get into the nitty gritty that I couldn't.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet I would! If I didn't live in the foothills of the east. lol. I came home after that two days and asked my hubby if he could sell his business and retire, then sell everything we own and become ski bums. tee hee. it was so much fun. I would kill for a 2500' vertical (we are at 761) but the conditions sound familiar. it was 56 last weekend which cause the whole mountain to become one giant glacier. Then it snowed 3" the night before, and was snowing wet snow, and the snowmakers were running full bore causing wet spots that slow you down so quickly it almost forces double ejection, so every skier was forced to use the same lines around the blowing car washes, and it got manky quickly. I'll be excited hear what you think because it sounds like you are going to get into the nitty gritty that I couldn't.
Move to Utah--problem solved :becky:

I skied 3- 2500' vertical runs on the BPs today--I was working so not much "play" time to venture around, but I think the east coast gals are going to really REALLY like the changes! There was a fair amount of very hard, scraped off snow and downright yellow and blue ice in places, and they were awesome on it! Now, it doesn't hurt that the new man friend put one of his signature tunes on them, meaning they got some serious TLC, but we all need to make sure we have a good tune on our skis anyway!

@nopoleskier, I am anxious to hear your thoughts! My other reaction is I had forgotten how much energy, but not jitteriness, just pure launch-out-of-the-turn energy the BPs have. I always loved that about my old ones, the new ones have even more with a shorter turn radius and slightly different tip shape. I was doing a lot of singing down the mountain today, which is what I do when I'm just having a blast! I was also skiing a lot faster than I have most of the season. I'm tickled to have found my new daily driver!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You all honestly owe it to yourselves to demo a pair :becky:

I have skied a LOT of different skis this season, and have skied 59 days so far. I've been on the proverbial hunt for The New Ski That Makes Me Giggle, and I've finally found it! I had even grown frustrated with the tips of the old ones engaging, particularly on hard snow. These are a HUGE improvement, IMO. I'm definitely anxious to hear from our gals who encounter more ice than I do.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
!!!!

@contesstant have you ever tried the Rossi Temptation 88? Since we seem to have similar taste in skis I'm curious to know if you liked those, and how they compare to the BP.
I skied the Temptation 84s for 4 days this season. I really liked them, but their tip and tail shape isn't my favorite in variable terrain. Less playful feeling, too. They kind of just lend to wanting to carve. I know the 88s have a very similar shape. I also know plenty of people who love them.

Christy

Angel Diva
So these are the same construction as the 2017 (which was different than earlier models) but with a different sidecut, right? I'm seeing, for 159s/88s, 126-88-110 with a 13m turning radius; 2017s were 123-88-108 with a 16 radius. But I don't see construction differences.

The big Sturtevant's progressive sale starts this Friday but rather than trying to pick up a sale pair just to get a new pair of skis which I desperately need, I wonder if I should hold out until March 25 for the big demo day at Crystal, when I can try the BPs.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So these are the same construction as the 2017 (which was different than earlier models) but with a different sidecut, right? I'm seeing, for 159s/88s, 126-88-110 with a 13m turning radius; 2017s were 123-88-108 with a 16 radius. But I don't see construction differences.

The big Sturtevant's progressive sale starts this Friday but rather than trying to pick up a sale pair just to get a new pair of skis which I desperately need, I wonder if I should hold out until March 25 for the big demo day at Crystal, when I can try the BPs.
My only thought is to make sure if you DO pick up a pair at the sale, make sure it's a pair you've already skied and know that you like.

And boy, ski sales are tempting, aren't they??

Christy

Angel Diva
Right. And I did like last year's BPs but only demoed them in spring snow, and everyone is raving so much about the 2018s...I could get the Total Joys but that would be redundant, given my interest in the BPs.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. And I did like last year's BPs but only demoed them in spring snow, and everyone is raving so much about the 2018s...I could get the Total Joys but that would be redundant, given my interest in the BPs.
Might just come down to how much you want to spend, then :becky:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just demoed the 78 and 88 2018 black pearls.. 78 was nice but I have my slicer dice atomic cloud 11s so wasn't wowed BUT 88'S. Omg what a difference from my 4yr old BP'S I really loved them skied the same fun responsive but a quieter ride no tip flap at all I was in spring corn conditions with icey shady parts. Lived them want them the demo guy said I'd be lusting for them. Yup.. may just sell the old and get the new. The vantage 95 was also my too pick. I have skied the 90s they were out. I'll do a demo report later. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BP 88s

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna