• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2016 Blizzard Samba

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I know there are many lovers of the Samba on this forum - but @contesstant I relate most to your view of the Samba. I totally expected to love the Samba heading out to the mountain today, but the opposite was true. So here it goes...

Me: Advanced skier, mostly Rockies blacks, 220 lbs, 5'8", more aggressive than finesse, but not by a lot. I like soft and steep - and, I've discovered over the past few weeks, soft bumps of all sizes! My daily driver right now is a 2013 Volkl Kenja.

Conditions: Typical March powder day at Sunshine Village! Morning was untracked pow, from ankle to knee deep in some places, windblown chalk at the tops of Lookout and Goat's Eye, some chop. Afternoon was a lot of cut-up pow and lots of big soft bumps.

Blizzard Samba 2016, 173 cm:

131-98-116mm
19 m radius

Mr.Albertanskigirl decided to try some Blizzards over the past few days (Bonafide and Brahma), so I decided - what the hell - I'll try one too. I decided on the Samba since I'm considering adding a circa 100 underfoot as my main all-mountain daily ski here in the Alberta Rockies. I tried the Nordica Santa Ana a few weeks ago and it's been the benchmark thus far, with nothing coming even close yet. Well, the Samba didn't come close either. Today was an amazing day, and I was looking forward to trying the Sambas out in a variety of conditions at Sunshine.

On my first run of the day, I noticed that I had a hard time turning the ski. I'm not a lightweight, and I've never really had this problem, but I had to muscle this ski to get it going where I wanted it to. The ski was softer in the tip and mid-section than my Kenjas, but I felt that the tails were much stiffer. I could feel the tails with every turn and it made me feel like I had lead on my feet. In the pow morning, I did notice that I had no tip dive at all - which was great. Tip dive is something I do have with my Kenjas quite a bit, so this was a nice surprise. It made me feel like this ski was quite floaty in the conditions. It took me a few runs to get used to handling the ski, but my tentative-ness did not improve throughout the day. I thought these skis were a lot of work. I could make pretty nice big sweeping turns, but I had difficulty getting the Samba to comply and make shorter turns. Most of the day, I thought that the Sambas were about 2 seconds ahead of me and I was struggling to keep up. I don't know if this has to do with technique - I've been told that I have a pretty good stance and I am never in the backseat - so I'm going to blame it on the ski, but I am open to the possibility that it could also be the driver.

We went up on Goat's Eye which was quite windblown and even scraped down to ice at the top and did a sequence of blacks down from the top. Just as we were starting off, the storm moved in and the light became unbelievably flat. Piles of snow that were 3 feet high that I had seen while going up on the lift just disappeared. The very top black run was very windblown and scraped down. Those conditions coupled with the flat light made the skiing very difficult. In this part, it was interesting - I didn't feel like the Samba let me read the terrain very well. We're used to skiing in flat light here quite a bit, especially at Sunshine Village (yeah, that name is the biggest joke in the world). But, even in flat light, my Kenjas give me a good feeling for the terrain underfoot, and I feel like I can still read the terrain relatively well. With the Sambas, I felt I was skiing blind. It really threw me off and I struggled immensely for about the first third of the way down. By the time we got past this first third, I began to feel soft chalk underneath me again, and it was much easier. The bottom half was really fun - it was some untracked pow, some semi-tracked and I had a pretty good time making big swooping turns through the snow.

The afternoon was clearer, with some sunny spots opening up all over. SO and I did a bunch of bump runs on Lookout, Standish and Wawa. Again, the Samba was ok, but I felt continuously that I really had to muscle them to go where I wanted them to. I really was puzzled by the work it took me to turn the skis. Even after a full powder day with lots of vertical, I rarely feel more than general fatigue and soreness. Today, I felt really tired and sore in my knees.

Overall, I can confidently say that the Samba is not for me. Although I really appreciated the float and the way that the tips just travelled over the snow, I would not ski the Samba again

In case any of you are interested in Mr.AlbertanSkiGirl's experience with the Bonafide and Brahma, he didn't like them either. The front runner for his next pair of skis is still the Nordica NRGY 100s.

Its good sometimes to take a ski out and put the curiosity to rest. Now you know the ski isn't for you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, after skiing the demos and spending the past two months on the Kenjas, I concur that they are REALLY hard to turn and don't instill confidence. I got so used to muscling them around (for two seasons, no less!) that everything else seems easy to ski. Silver lining, maybe? :tongue:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@contesstant Agreed! It certainly made me re-appreciate my Kenjas, as I was longing for them all day yesterday even though I usually dislike them in powder. My knees are still slightly sore today! I really haven't skied another ski (granted, I haven't skied many) that demanded so much from me. I keep wondering if there is some trick, or something that I missed... but I guess it's also a matter of personal taste, as many skis are!

@surfsnowgirl Yup! Done with the Sambas. In fact, I didn't really like the Black Pearls either when i tried them 2 seasons ago. Maybe Blizzard is just not for me?

@surfsnowgirl Yup! Done with the Sambas. In fact, I didn't really like the Black Pearls either when i tried them 2 seasons ago. Maybe Blizzard is just not for me?

I just sold my Blizzard Magnums, great ice ski but just didn't like the "feel" of them. Recently demoed the Black Pearl and nope, cross those off my list. I don't think I'm a Blizzard gal either. I'm seem to be evolving into a Volkl gal with a side dish of Atomic :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't like the Sambas when I demoed them. I felt the same as you, that they were work to muscle around. When I demoed, there wasn't really great snow coverage. It was our typical "eastern hardpack". I attributed my dislike to the conditions, and felt they might have been more enjoyable in western conditions.

For a wide-waisted ski I loved, the Aura did everything asked of it. A hero ski in my book. And I do tend to love Nordica skis, though I haven't tried the Santa Ana yet.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't like the Sambas when I demoed them. I felt the same as you, that they were work to muscle around. When I demoed, there wasn't really great snow coverage. It was our typical "eastern hardpack". I attributed my dislike to the conditions, and felt they might have been more enjoyable in western conditions.

For a wide-waisted ski I loved, the Aura did everything asked of it. A hero ski in my book. And I do tend to love Nordica skis, though I haven't tried the Santa Ana yet.
@maggie198 , what year Aura did you try?

teppaz

Angel Diva
It does seem there's such a thing as brand affinity. Well, maybe not all the time but often enough. For instance I've never liked any of the Blizzards I've tried, whereas Volkl can do no wrong for me!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes, after skiing the demos and spending the past two months on the Kenjas, I concur that they are REALLY hard to turn and don't instill confidence. I got so used to muscling them around (for two seasons, no less!) that everything else seems easy to ski. Silver lining, maybe? :tongue:
What else did you ski besides the Sambas? Two seasons and didn't like them? ... I demoed them for 3 days in heavy fresh snow in Tahoe in 2014 and really liked them... Skied them on groomers as well but I was on a 152. That being said, I've always wanted to try the Aura...or is it being replaced by the Volkl 100eight?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Aura is being replaced by the 100eight.

And I have liked Blizzards the past couple of years, just not the Sambas. I never liked Volkls before, but after gaining a few pounds the last couple of years I now quite like them.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What else did you ski besides the Sambas? Two seasons and didn't like them? ... I demoed them for 3 days in heavy fresh snow in Tahoe in 2014 and really liked them... Skied them on groomers as well but I was on a 152. That being said, I've always wanted to try the Aura...or is it being replaced by the Volkl 100eight?
I skied the Nordica Santa Ana in a 169, Volkl 90Eight in a 170, indy brand ski that I didn't like, Rossignol Soul 7W in a 170, and Salomon Lumen in a 167 (all were 2017 skis.) Then I took my Kenjas out in the morning the next day, then swapped out for the Sambas in the afternoon. The Sambas were the least favorite of all of them, so, it's time to get rid of them.

And no, the Aura has not been replaced.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I skied the Nordica Santa Ana in a 169, Volkl 90Eight in a 170, indy brand ski that I didn't like, Rossignol Soul 7W in a 170, and Salomon Lumen in a 167 (all were 2017 skis.) Then I took my Kenjas out in the morning the next day, then swapped out for the Sambas in the afternoon. The Sambas were the least favorite of all of them, so, it's time to get rid of them.

And no, the Aura has not been replaced.
Oh I meant what skis besides the Samba for the last two seasons did you ski?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Auras have metal, whereas the 100Eights do not. An important distinction for many skiers, so I wouldn't think it would be wise for Volkl to eliminate it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Auras have metal, whereas the 100Eights do not. An important distinction for many skiers, so I wouldn't think it would be wise for Volkl to eliminate it.
Oh well I'm pretty much a lightweight and do own an older Kenja... But now, the 100Eights without metal sound good.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@maggie198 I was trying to figure out what kinds of conditions the Samba would be good for, but wasn't sure. I concluded it must be for a specific type of skier. I loved the Santa Ana. I'd like to try the new Aura as well - I've heard lots of positive things about it.

The Aura, as far as I know is not being replaced. Before i settle on a new ski, I"d still like to try the 100eights, 90eights and new Aura. But I might just wait until next season to do that. The Santa Ana is still absolutely my favourite ski I've tried recently. I don't tend towards having many skis - I want one that I really love and use all the time. That's been the Kenja so far, but I'd like to get a second pair to tend towards soft snow, but still be all-mountain. And then I think I'm good.

@teppaz I do think that it is interesting that there seems to be a brand bias for most people. Is it that certain brands just make skis with certain characteristics that are appealing to people? I've thought about this quite a bit because I've tried skis from same brands and disliked them for different reasons. For example, there's my Samba review above. I also tried the BP 1 or 2 seasons ago, and I didn't like it either. However, I didn't like it because I thought it was too soft and noodly. So BP and Samba were two very different ski experiences for me, but I'm 0 for 2 with Blizzard. I've also never tried a K2 ski that I like, but I have a girlfriend that swears by them. I know @surfsnowgirl mentions above the love of Volkl - so do you all think that is an actual thing? What makes us 'loyal' to one brand or another?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga