• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alberta 15/16

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Have skied both Lake Louise and Sunshine Village in the past few weeks. It has been snowing consistently and conditions are great. A few dumps, mostly soft snow everywhere. When it hasn't been snowing a ton, there's been a skiff of fresh on the runs almost every morning. It's beautiful, and it isn't even cold outside right now. go go go!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Was at Sunshine today - and I had to post some pics because it was so GORGEOUS! bluebird day at Sunshine Village, and warm (high of -6 c), but windy as all hell! It was windy, however the snow is still super dry champagne powder - it's still winter high up. SO there was only a few cm from last night, but, because of the wind, the windblown snow just get filling in the tracks at the top of the mountains. The top of Lookout and Goat's Eye was like a windy powder heaven all day, feeling like ankle deep fresh with all the blowing snow. Everywhere else: pretty damn nice and soft!

And some pictures!!! I still can't believe that this is where I live!

nice soft snow everywhere!!! this is the view towards lookout mountain!

IMG_0064.JPG

the view from the continental divide:

IMG_0061.JPG

a view from goat's eye!

IMG_0073.JPG

yet another view from goat's eye! aaaa

IMG_0070.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
Gorgeous, I'd be willing to relocate to your area for views and conditions like that. I love my job but I can find another job....................

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Went to Lake Louise yesterday, 3/11/16. Day was sunny super sunny and warm! I just skied with a light merino wool top and my jacket. SO beautiful. Overall, conditions were good. 5 cms fresh.

We spent most of the morning of the frontside. I had a 'fresh tracks' lesson at 8.30 in the morning. Lake Louise has an offer - 1.5 hour private lessons for $100 CAD starting 30 minutes before the lifts starts. It was the first lesson I had in a while and wanted to work on turns, general technique and bumps. It was great - my instructor was really good at giving feedback, we worked on turn shape on the lower mountain blues and blacks, and creating control from the beginning of turn through the end. We then went to the top of the world and went over to the playground side to work on bumps and other terrain. I did my first full bump run :thumbsup: in the Tickety Chutes, and it was hard! but I felt great because i made it down without killing myself, and even felt good at the end! We then did some work in the trees and did some fun turns in this 'natural half pipe' in Jerry's Jungle.

Conditions on front side were ok. Corduroy on the main runs in the morning, a little hard. The 5 cms fresh got scraped off pretty quickly, but the snow was really soft and untracked heading into Tickety Chutes. Pretty nice. The bumps were another story, soft on top but really icy in between. I had some trouble on the ice when I was coming out of the turns.

After the lesson, I met up with Mr.AlbertanSkiGirl, and we did a few runs on top o' again, including Tickety Chutes and Tight Turns - so many bump runs in one day! This time I had one fall though because of the ice. but it wasn't a bad fall.

After that, we headed to the backside, and what fun back there yesterday! The 5 cms of fresh was more like 15-20 in spots. It didn't really cover up any of the bumps in parts of Paradise and Saddleback, but both Saddleback Bowl and Boomerang Bowl had areas of 15-20 cm deep where the snow had been fallen, but also swept into by the wind!!! FRESHIES!!!!:yahoo: It was awesome, we just kept doing laps off paradise and summit platter. AWESOME!!!! Upper Boomerang and Brown Shirt were soft and had few people going down, so lots of freshies, as well as the Pipestone area.

The end of the day was not so great - the power went out in Lake Louise and of course, at the resort too. We had about 4 or 5 people ahead of us and were about to get on the Ptarmigan lift when everything stopped. It was about 3pm. Ski patrol and lifties had those of us who were not on lifts use the ski out to get back to the bottom. It sucked. 100s of people on this narrow ski out, with many flats. I remembered why I hate skate skiing. And the poor snowboarders! We got the bottom about 30-45 minutes later, and the lifts were still not moving. People were stuck on the lifts for about 45-60 minutes before the power returned. All disembarked safe and sound. We headed down and had a beer :smile: Things are running normally today again.

Here are the photos!

Here I am after disembarking at Top O' getting ready to go to Tickety Chutes for the 2nd time:

IMG_0099.JPG

Mr.AlbertanSkiGirl having fun in Jerry's Jungle:

IMG_0098.JPG

The views never get old:

IMG_0100.JPG

The top of Saddleback bowl from Top of the World Lift:

IMG_0101.JPG

Looking up in Saddleback:

IMG_0104.JPG

Yup, those are my Kenjas in the backside freshies!!!

IMG_0105.JPG

Loving the windswept freshies. Mr.AlbertanSkiGirl is in the far left of the photos, about to go hit some trees.
IMG_0106.JPG

A great day at Louise, and the backside never disappoints!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
POW DAY!!! Powder powder powder and Sunshine Village. Of the dry champagne kind! Oh, I love resorts at elevation!!! Reports at 7 am this morning were saying less than 10 cms of fresh, but it kept snowing all day and I think it was somewhere between 15 and 20 in most spots. Mr. AlbertanSkiGirl and I had such a blast - I don't actually have a heck of a lot of great photos, so I'll post what I have. They don't really capture the crazy amount of snow that fell last night and this morning. Best snow of the day was on Lookout, the lower half of Goat's Eye and Wawa trees/Paris Basin. Avalanche explosions were going off all morning in the Dive. I did my first drop in and skied almost an entire afternoon on big soft bumps. Woo hoo!!!

It was looking very promising on the way in. (Note: there are big towering mountains normally in this landscape).

IMG_0142.JPG

This was on our first run off of Divide. We did World Cup Downhill, Gold Ecstasy, Silver Ecstasy. Not too much time to take pictures :smile:

IMG_0144.JPG

In Wawa trees going to Star Trek/Bird Cage:

IMG_0149.JPG

In the afternoon, the sun began to peek out now and then, and the snow became much more tracked. Bumps began to develop.

IMG_0154.JPG

A very brief period of sun from the top of Goat's Eye:

IMG_0157.JPG

From the top of Goat's Eye towards Delirium Dive:

IMG_0158.JPG

Mr.AlbertanSkiGirl got this picture of me on our last run of the day, the already tracked out Wildfire on Goat's eye. It's an easy blue run, but I just love skiing through a stand of charred trees (it's called Wildfire for a reason!) We grabbed our backpacks after this and did the ski out to the parking lot.

IMG_0163.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna