• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

your favorite sunscreen

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I now work outside all winter, I'm experimenting with my sunscreen for my face. I've been using AloeGator SPF 40 for a long time, but I have to go to Salt Lake City to buy it. I started using Neutrogena Anti-Aging with SPF45 when I got my job at Park City. So far, it's been great. My face isn't dried out at night. My face is getting a little tan, but in a healthy, not a "hey, I work at a ski area" way. I also have some Kiehl's All-Sport Anti-Freeze Face Protector with SPF30 to add on those windy, snowy days.

What's your favorite???

C

CMCM

I'm fair and very prone to burning, so I always slather on Neutrogena's Ultra Dry Touch SPF 70. I usually reapply it midway thru the day if it's consistently sunny. I don't burn, so I'm happy with it!:clap:

KauaiShan

Certified Ski Diva
Another fan of the Neutrogena Ultra Dry Touch. I am covered in freckles and melanoma runs in the family so I am a sunscreen addict. I love how this one dries completely dry, rather than greasy

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Clinique City Block SPF45.
Works good.
:smile:
p.s. DON'T NEGLECT UVA/UVB PROTECTION FOR LIPS! I learned this the hard way :(

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dermatone. It stays a little greasy (which doesn't bother me), and it's tiny, fits in my ski jacket or pants pocket, and really works.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good article about the need for winter sunscreen:
https://www.cosmeticscop.com/BULLETIN/010809-full.htm?utm_source=Beauty_Bulletin&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=BBProduct_review1&utm_campaign=010809_BeautyBulletin&emc=el&m=288276&l=14&v=8674a1dc02#review1

Winter in many parts of the United States and northern regions of Canada means cold, windy, snowy weather without much sunlight to offset the chill. You’re likely spending much more time indoors and less time outdoors, not to mention wearing more clothing to stay warm. With less time spent outside and a minimal amount of exposed skin, you may have abandoned daily use of sunscreen. After all, if you’re rarely outside and you’re all bundled up when you do venture out, what’s the point, right? Wrong! Although the sun may not be shining and the hours of daylight are fewer than during spring and summer, abandoning your daily sunscreen habit would be a skin care (meaning antiwrinkle) mistake. Here’s why:

Even when you’re clothed in layers to defend against the cold, chances are good that a portion of your face, if not all of it, is still exposed. That means damage is still taking place if you didn’t apply sunscreen. Whether it’s the middle of January or you’re heading to the beach in June, you need sunscreen 365 days a year. Of course, in the summer months and in climates that are sunny year-round you have almost daily reminders as to why you should protect your skin from UV damage. But what you must remember when clouds prevail or the weather turns cold and gray are three basic facts about UV damage:

1. Sun damage is about your skin seeing daylight not just “sunshine”.
2. Sun damage begins within the first minute of unprotected exposure.
3. The bad rays of the sun penetrate windows

I know winter weather can be deceptive to say the least, because without question your skin is not being exposed to the same intense radiation you’ll get in summer or sunny climates. However, even though you cannot feel the sun warming your skin (and may not even be able to see it through the thick cloud cover that’s overstayed its welcome) ultraviolet light is still present and still capable of harming your skin. Ignoring sunscreen during winter months just doesn’t make sense, especially if part of your skin care concern is about preventing or reducing wrinkles.

Still not convinced? Let me add a few more facts that may be of help. You may not know that the sun’s aging UV rays are no match for cloud cover. Clouds offer some UV protection, but enough skin-damaging rays break right through dreary winter clouds that damage will still occur. It’s also critical to keep in mind that snow is an excellent UV light reflector. So depending on where you live or where you are vacationing not only are UVA rays bombarding your skin from above, but they’re bouncing off the glaring white snow and hitting you from below, too. And for all of you skiers out there, don’t forget that altitude is also a sun enhancer. For every 1,000-foot increase in altitude the ultraviolet radiation potency increases by 4%. To make matters worse, increased elevations are even more damaging for unprotected skin. That’s because the UV protection from the ozone layer of the atmosphere is typically thinner during winter months, so additional UV light to reach your skin. (Source: https://www.telemedicine.org/sundam/sundam2.4.2.html).

If you’re spending little time outdoors and getting through the typical cold, gray winter months inside a toasty, heated room, you may want to change the sunscreen you use. For example, it may make good sense for you to apply a sunscreen rated SPF 30 or greater during summer months or in sunny climates; however, a high SPF rating becomes extraneous when you’re spending most of your daylight hours indoors and the sun isn’t shining; there just isn’t that much time for significant UV light exposure. Of course I’m not implying you should skip sunscreen (no way!), but you’ll likely be just fine applying one rated SPF 15. Regardless of whether you choose to decrease your SPF protection or not, you would never want to go lower than using a sunscreen rated SPF 15. Also, you still have to make sure to apply sunscreen liberally and only use one that contains one or more of the active ingredients that ensures sufficient UVA protection: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone (sometimes listed as butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane), ecamsule (Mexoryl SX) or Tinosorb.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
p.s. DON'T NEGLECT UVA/UVB PROTECTION FOR LIPS! I learned this the hard way :(

Ugh, I forget my lips at least once a season. My summer equivalent is my earlobes. I SCORCHED my earlobes last summer trying to learn to surf.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^caveat.....these are 2 super-prime spots for skin cancer, so heads up and watch those areas closely. I may have a permanent darkened scar from the burn-off of an actinic keratosis (which can quickly and unpredictably turn into cancer) last summer. Looks awful (both before and after, alas), on upper lip, no avoiding that. Know someone else who had to have a section of his upper ear pinna cut out. Not worth it. Ever.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always have a sunscreen on. My daily moisturizers always have SPF15, if not SPF30. I carry a small tube in my purse to "touch up" during the day. I always put stuff on my ears and I'm never without sunscreen lip stuff. The husband of a dear friend of mine passed away 4 years ago from the ravages of melanoma. It was heart wrenching to see him deteriorate over time. So, I am religious about sunscreen in memory of him.

I'll have to try the Ultra Dry Touch SPF 70. I don't want to get too tan too fast - I have an entire season to get through outside.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I forget my lips at least once a season. My summer equivalent is my earlobes. I SCORCHED my earlobes last summer trying to learn to surf.

I once managed to forget my eyelids. that one hurt after dozing at the beach.

annnd back to topic: I'm also a fan of the neutrogena face suncreens. They never make me break out.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Lancome sunscreens. They are a bit pricey, but being a red head with very fair skin I've become a bit of a sunscreen connoisseur.

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^^caveat.....these are 2 super-prime spots for skin cancer, so heads up and watch those areas closely. I may have a permanent darkened scar from the burn-off of an actinic keratosis (which can quickly and unpredictably turn into cancer) last summer. Looks awful (both before and after, alas), on upper lip, no avoiding that. Know someone else who had to have a section of his upper ear pinna cut out. Not worth it. Ever.

The rim of the nose is also a prime spot. I just had a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed from mine. Had to go to a plastic surgeon to get it stiched up to prevent an ugly scar.
I'm leaving for Vail next week and not sure what I will do, the scar is sesitive to the cold. I hope I don't have to wear a bandage or face mask the whole time.

I like Rocky Mountain Sunscreen the best. It seems to stay on while in the water & sweating.

C

CMCM

I actually don't mind the part of the ski season where my face is almost entirely covered with a mask and goggles....I still put on sunscreen, but everything is more protected.

There's a ski instructor at our hill who just turned 50. Besides being a heavy smoker, she never uses sunscreen or covers up, and OMG, is her skin awful. Deeply etched wrinkles everywhere, skin like leather. If you saw her and guessed her age, you'd guess 70 or some such based on her skin.

I've been a good girl my whole life about using sunscreen and watching it in the sun, staying in shade where possible, not really ever laying out in the sun. I gave up on the idea of having a wonderful tan, but in exchange I'm heading for 60 with great skin and no brown spots or wrinkles. Now I'm glad I was so finicky about sun! :D

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whatever is closest? I prefer oil free versions but honestly just grab what I can. FYI, expiration dates, if on your sunscreen are real. I got a very nasty sunburn once when I didn't pay attention to that.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For ski days I like the Dr Hauschka product for children and senitive skin SPF 30. It is water/sweat proof and is a little greasy but stays put. It is all natural and doesn't have a lot of the chemical additives. Although I just found out that their sunscreen line is being discontinued because they have chosen not to use synthetic chemicals :Cry: BTW Dr Hauschka also has a sage bath soak made to soothing muscles after an active day. It is fabulous!!

For regular daily use, I really like the DDF product line. They have several SPF 30 formulations to choose from.

For lip protection, I love the Aveda lipsaver. It is only SPF 15 but it really stays on well. I usually put some on before I leave the house and then again after lunch. That usually covers me for the day. I actually use this product every day and it is especially wonderful to put on before bedtime!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We make serious sunscreens here in Australia. I like some form of zinc, it is a little greasy, but doesn't sweat or rub off easily, and I reapply as often as I can. I'm prone to freckles, although I have spent years trying to get rid of them, and I find that even with the best possible sunscreens, I have a couple of new faint spots after a 2-3 week ski trip.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Hawaiian Tropic SPF-45 chapstick in Vanilla Mint for the lips and have a stick of Hawaiian Tropic Sun Junk SPF-45 in Island Jolt clipped right to the strap of my Camelback (they both taste and smell
yummy!). I reapply at least 2-3 times a day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna