• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Yard Work is Very Bad for You

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't wait for ski season to get back on the slopes where it's much, much safer than my house. Sunday, in a concerted effort to rake up the leaves, I got stabbed by a tree!! Yes--that tree was in my way as I stood up and it got me good.

After some bloody, frantic initial moments, I ended up in the Urgent Care where they plugged seven staples into my scalp and tetanus into my arm. OWWWWWW.

So, Divas---yard work is very very dangerous. Be careful or avoid it altogether.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, only go into the trees if you're on skis!:D

That settles it -- no yard work for me. Just skiing. It's much safer.

Sorry to hear about your injury. (BTW, Severine's little girl just got some staples in her head, too, but not from doing yard work.)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, only go into the trees if you're on skis!:D

Or wearing a helmet! :D

Sorry to hear about your very freak accident. You and Severine's daughter should get together for matching head staple pics. :laugh:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy crap! Heal quickly!

(Here's me being thankful I don't have a yard to do yard work in!)

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That must have been one heck of a stab wound! :eek: My daughter had 6 staples put into her head last Wednesday after a couch jumping accident. Dangerous week for scalps! :wink:

Time to hand off the yardwork to someone else... :D

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And ... Christmas lights are coming. If you are on the roof, make sure you have a spotter. My dad pretty much broke everything in his body last holiday season falling off the roof. I hope everyone is safer on their skis than on their own feet.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy crap! Heal quickly!

(Here's me being thankful I don't have a yard to do yard work in!)
I'm with ya! Here's to condo living!

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh my god. I can't believe you posted that, because I have my own yard work tale of woe from this weekend.

We have these giant, 96 gallon hard plastic yard city waste bins, with really big hinged lids. If you try to push one with the lid open, the lid swings down and hits the ground or your legs, so you should close the lid before moving it. But, I gave a full one with an open lid a big shove and immediately stepped into the swinging lid, which jerked the heavy bin SMACK into my face so hard it knocked me down, where I whacked my head on the ground.

I ended up with 5 stitches right next to my eye from the bin itself (yay! a scar on my face! :rolleyes:). I also got a pretty good shiner, broke my brand new glasses, scraped and bruised my knees and a got sore skull from hitting the ground. Oh and I got the tetanus shot too so a sore arm as well.

Interestingly I was not the first person to tangle with the yard waste bin and lose and end up in the Swedish Hospital emergency room (said the nurse). Someone else fell IN and ended up at the hospital.

The day I got stitches my friend got her 9 stitches out from slipping and whacking her elbow on her glass bathroom doorknob. Plus she burst her bursa sac. Damn straight home is dangerous!

And ... Christmas lights are coming. If you are on the roof, make sure you have a spotter. My dad pretty much broke everything in his body last holiday season falling off the roof. I hope everyone is safer on their skis than on their own feet.

Our old next door neighbor actually died falling putting up xmas lights. The worst part was he hated doing it and his wife badgered him into it every year.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our old next door neighbor actually died falling putting up xmas lights. The worst part was he hated doing it and his wife badgered him into it every year.

Oh dear, don't tell DH. He despises it. We did hire it done last year (as his Father's Day gift); I guess we could make it every year's present!

Hope the rest of you home improvement heroes heal quickly!!

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Looks like yard work and possibly also housework should be avoided.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all currently injured!!

An author over here, through her book publicity, likes to use the statistic that no husband has ever been murdered whilst operating a vacuum cleaner (or stacking a dishwasher) - it does have a ring of truth?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:eek: Oh no! Just saw this, so sorry to hear it. YIKES! That has to smart like h e double hockey sticks. Both c & d!! And c's friend! OW. Feel better, all of you!!

Oh dear, we're major outdoor do-it-yourself-ers here, all year too, including roof shoveling (:eek:). Tree felling, hauling, splitting, etc.

Hope everyone is on the mend soon!!
I'm going to take heed of this as I head out the door in a couple of hours to tackle my own great outdoors....

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, that's it.... goggles and helmets are needed for yardwork now!!!

I hope everyone is okay!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks to all for the kind words and speedy healing for all of the other Divas injured in the line of duty. It's the little stupid things that bites one----and because we do these unpleasant tasks so infrequently, it's easier to have a booboo.

Severine, hope your little one has healed. Actually, the staples are pretty cool.--they don't have to shave your head and they go in and out pretty fast. Mine are out now.

Let's pray for lots of snow everywhere to keep us from those dangerous chores and back speeding down steep hills on two sticks---where we belong.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She's doing well, thank you! The staples came out in 1 week with no pain. Easy peasy! Amazing what they can do, isn't it? :D Glad to hear you're healed!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you are all recovering and staying out of harms way.

I just had to comment on staples though. After surgery last year I had about 30 in my abdomen. My brother who was looking after me made all sorts of evil comments about how they would be removed...rusty pliers and the doctors foot against my belly was one of his most vivid ideas! :eek: Fortunately the reality is really painless and quick...better than stitches as I recall.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Just saw this site:

One of my ski buddies shattered her foot falling off a ladder while painting trim on her home-obviously safer to ski...
Another is an avid horsewoman and has frequently been know to decide in bed if she should ride or ski.... toooooo often when she's chosen the horse, she's broken an ankle or dislocated her shoulder or some such.... again, ~much~ safer to ski!!!

Now me, swimming and skiing are safer than walking!!!

Anyway, I hope everyone is mending quickly for earliest possible return to slopes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga