• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

woo! another first!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This one is My First Spook.

Squeezed the boy into a trot for Posting Practice on Monday and got 1 stride into it - I was sitting for 2, thank heavens - and suddenly we're both moving sideways in an impressive change of vector.

And I did not fall off! I didn't really even lose my seat. I folded up a little bit, but sat right back up and only had to make minimal adjustments before everything felt right again at the walk. Since I didn't have any clue what happened I felt that asking for a trot again was a poor idea.

There was another rider in the ring and her horse spooked right there as well. Instructor thinks there might have been a Terrible, Horrible, Very-Bad, No-Good, Bunny Monster in the plants by the ring. Or possibly a Great Alarming Mouse. (The plants there are not very high...and thanks to a lifetime spent in Texas, I am VERY good at hearing snakes even when they are barely moving and I'm not listening for them, so I'm pretty confident it was not something *actually* dangerous .)

The other rider, that was a First, too. I won't say I didn't find it unsettling, but I did manage to keep my mount from getting distracted by/wanting to follow along with the other horse.

The instructor took some videos of me posting. I did it all along the long bits of the rail, and even managed to steer the horse this time! And I took some corners. One time I went almost all the way around the ring! She said the videos would be useful as a point of comparison in another few months. I was actually REALLY HAPPY with how the horse and I looked. I mean, he looked 100% better than I did, but I didn't look nearly as bad as I thought I would.

I got her to e-mail me one, which I promptly watched about 75 times and then sent to my 8 closest friends (I figure, I've done my time watching their kids' recitals/ballets/bar mitzvahs, they can watch 30 seconds of my Horsemanship Skills.). I do notice that my lower legs are moving around more that I think they should be. And it is a battle to keep my hands down and quiet. On the other hand, I am pretty sure I was on the proper diagonal.

The horse has developed a quick and accurate understanding that when I am handling him on the ground, he is to keep ALL FOUR FEET ON THE GROUND unless I pick one up or walk with him, and when I pick one up, he's to LEAVE IT THERE until I am done. His understanding of Not Invading My Space is coming along, but slower. The blighter stepped on my foot while I was putting the stirrups up after dismounting. Thank heavens for a good solid boot + soft sand on the arena.

Instead, now, he acts up when I'm in the saddle. Now he's tossing his head like nuts, and yanking on the reins. I could see it in the video clip - we're going along at a decent trot, the instructor is yelling that this is a good pace and KEEP YOUR HANDS DOWN, and as soon as I responded to this and put them down, the horse walloped on the bit, I overcorrected, and there were my hands, floating up in the air again and the horse slowing to a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w trot on his way to a walk, doubtless because he felt that I was signaling for a slowdown. :loco: I assumed I was not handling the reins properly, and I'm not, but the instructor says that's not why he's yanking the reins...she says he's just being a butt. I notice that "being a butt" is a phrase that seems to get a lot of airtime when people start talking about horses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna