• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Wisp (MD) trails for a progressing novice

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
I'm seriously considering a trip to Wisp in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking to see if any Divas out there who are familiar with the resort may have some first-hand recommendations for me about what I may like to ski during my visit. I've tried to find some information about a good sequence of trails to explore to introduce myself to the mountain, but I'm not having much luck. I've scoured YouTube for videos and have enjoyed what I've been able to find of the green and some blue runs (many blues appear rather gentle, but maybe that's the camera's wide-angle distortion?).

About me and where my skills are, if it helps gauge...I am a happily progressing beginner/novice. I am paralleling around 3/4 of the time I am going down greens, in groomed conditions on PP and LG. I sometimes plow or stem to help gain balance when beginning a run, warming up, or experience a pitch change, but usually recover to open parallel. I may also plow if coming upon a crowded spot on the hill, but again recover once I find a line. I'm also beginning to use my poles to help with timing, and I enjoy turning and like to experiment with how turn shape affects speed and control.

As for trails and resorts I'm familiar with, I have only skied the SnowTime (southern PA) hills thus far, skiing all greens at Liberty and Roundtop, and most at Whitetail (no blues anywhere, yet). I sometimes take a "harder" green in segments, but for the most part I am linking smooth turns down trails I choose, and can find lines good for me to ski. I'm somewhat cautious, but feel relaxed (usually) and in control, and can safely stop anywhere at anytime I need.

Wisp looks like a great next step with lots of trails to explore that could be appropriate for someone like me, but I'm not sure where to start, and am open to ideas for trails that would help me make the most of my day or even challenge me a little. I would like to ski some cruisers (i.e., Possum), as well as those good for working on my turns.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Best place to ask for advice about Wisp is DCSki. In general, I think the greens and blues at Wisp will be similar in pitch to the trails at Whitetail and Roundtop. I've never been to Liberty.

https://www.dcski.com/forum/91920

I'm totally biased, but if you want to try someplace new, consider checking out Massanutten. Easier to reach from the DC metro area than Wisp. Mnut has very good progression from easy green (Southern Comfort), harder green (Geronimo), easy blue (Lower Showtime). Conveyor loading for the two lifts that serve the two greens. My friend who started learning at the same time as her kids a few years ago when from never-ever to skiing blues at Alta last season when only skiing a couple holiday weekends each year. She's taken full advantage of the group lessons offered for Adv. Beginners. Currently $50 for 2 hours, starting at noon or 5:00.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
My son was JUST at Wisp for a race this past weekend. I didn't make it this year, but my youngest son and I went last year. Conditions were terrible (they ended up shutting down early, and then reopening in March after that big snow storm). He didn't get over to the beginner's area, but we both agree their blues are not too difficult. They have a little section of mainly greens (with a couple of harder trails mixed in) to get you started for your day, and as your confidence builds, you can move over to the intermediate area, which has some really fun runs. It's not a big mountain, so you'll likely be on the same runs throughout the day, but I say go for it (and grab a lesson while you're there)!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Lmk92 : do you mean that conditions were terrible when you went last year? Or that they were bad last weekend? Given the cold coming in today and the snow expected in WV and at Wisp, I would think snow conditions would be good in the next week or so.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Oh, sorry for the confusion. Conditions were bad last year. I give them credit for trying, but mother nature was not being cooperative. I agree this week should be great!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wisp Trail is a good trail. It does get busy because there are blues that feed into it. But it also gives you a chance to look at those blue trails. As a beginner, the part that bothered me the most was the very bottom where you're returning to the lift. It's a little steeper than the trail itself. It is really wide there so you have plenty of space to traverse.

Little Dipper and Big Dipper are good. I think Big Dipper is the one that gives you views down onto the farmland below. Since these are off to the side and don't flow back down to the main lifts, they can be a little quieter.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, sorry for the confusion. Conditions were bad last year. I give them credit for trying, but mother nature was not being cooperative. I agree this week should be great!

Oh goodness, last year...and to think that's the season I decided to commit to this sport. I skied a sheet of ice at Whitetail last February that would have made any beginner run the other way. Not just a sheet of ice...it had mud holes too, so it was more like an obstacle course. Thankfully it's been much nicer this winter.

Wisp Trail is a good trail. It does get busy because there are blues that feed into it. But it also gives you a chance to look at those blue trails. As a beginner, the part that bothered me the most was the very bottom where you're returning to the lift. It's a little steeper than the trail itself. It is really wide there so you have plenty of space to traverse.

Little Dipper and Big Dipper are good. I think Big Dipper is the one that gives you views down onto the farmland below. Since these are off to the side and don't flow back down to the main lifts, they can be a little quieter.

@vickie--thank you so much for this! Good to know about the pitch returning to base, but I'm sure I'd be fine. That's what Sidewinder at Whitetail does right before the flatter runout back to base, and last time I was on that trail I was halfway down the steepest portion before it dawned on me where I was.

I hope this trip happens for me (fingers crossed), but if not this season, certainly next season!

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
So I indeed made the trip over the holiday weekend--I got my first experience of skiing during a snow dump!! I'm working on a report (to include some reviews of the trails I skied) with a few photos. The resort transformed from icy on the frontside (and a bit scary in places) to a winter wonderland in a matter of hours. I was thrilled, and took advantage of the new snow to challenge myself a bit. This is a beautiful area to ski if you are an advancing beginner thru confident, laid back intermediate with all faces of the hill covered with winding greens and blues, and there are the black diamonds (like Squirrel Cage) for more advanced skiers.

I could finally get a feel of what it's like to get some mileage :race:. Needless to say I came to work today relaxed and smiling. :smile:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you got to explore Wisp and especially with good conditions.

As an advanced beginner, I was ga-ga over Squirrel Cage ... even more so when it was lighted at night. Before I left that area, I did get to ski it!

Looking forward to your trip report. Should stir up memories.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I'm reading this, sitting at my table, in 65 degree weather. It's February 20th. I want to be skiing today! Sigh. At this point, I just hope I get one more day in this season.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Oh me too...just one more day...the optimist in me wants two but I fear that might be a stretch. I would ski somewhere this weekend but have to attend a conference for work starting tomorrow...boo...so no skiing for me. I am hoping hoping hoping one of the SnowTime hills can manage thru the first weekend in March.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I am hoping we'll get some snow in March. Fingers crossed and sacrifices to the snow gods underway. I did just see a flock of robins in the yard today, though.

dianakate

Angel Diva
Looking forward to the trip report! I have never been to Wisp, but was considering a trip out there with the fam in a couple of weekends (if it decides to become winter again!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga