• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wintery July scenes at Mt Baker

Christy

Angel Diva
The highway dept spent the last 3 weeks clearing the road to Mt Baker (there are great trails in the area near the ski area) and the road will open tomorrow. It's kind of crazy the ski area closes mid April given all the snow they get but I know there are reasons. It's not unusual for it to be so snowy up there so late but I thought the pictures were cool enough to share. The DOT posts them on flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157624451404810/

4831064489_ec412890a0.jpg

The roof of the restroom is peaking through the snow in the upper parking lot at Artist Point. The roof of the restroom is approximately 20 feet tall. July 26.

4796333281_401d3d84d7.jpg

July 15.

4774458925_6761bdac83.jpg

Clearing switchbacks.

Christy

Angel Diva
How much snow do they get up there?

The ski area holds the world record for snow (95 feet during the 98-99 season). The Cascades get a lot of snow in general. But I don't know exactly why Baker gets so much and then melts out so late compared to elsewhere in the Cascades. NOAA has an explanation about the Cascades in general, but not really about Baker specifically. I wonder if it's because NO precip gets past the big volcanos--the south and west sides of Rainier get almost as snowy.

https://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/1999/wsnorcrd.htm

That was a La Nina year, like this one will be...

Jilly I think March was a bit below normal but it we had a cold spring and it snowed in the mts through June.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga