• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Why does my face get puffy at altitude?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I'm already a very cheap date since alcohol and I don't agree much anyhow! ;) Neighbor is not licensed in our state yet--we are all military and he hasn't gotten his license here yet (not required for military) or I'd probably hit him up!

So far, I manage fine. It's just something that's kicked in in the past few years so I hope it doesn't get worse!

Leila Zucker

Certified Ski Diva
250 twice a day is a perfectly reasonable dose, but you are more likely to experience the side effects you mentioned. I recommend the lowest dose that works. I second that local clinics will certainly recognize and treat the symptoms, or your doctor can call a prescription in to a local pharmacy, or your PA friend can prescribe (though prescribing laws are different everywhere, so maybe not).

I worked for a month at the Medical Clinic of Big Sky last year during my final year of residency--best elective EVER. In exchange for working half days every day at the slope-side clinic, Dr. Daniels provides medical students and residents with inexpensive lodging and lift passes. So you work half days and ski half days for a month. Not only do you get great skiing, you also get to see plenty of orthopedics injuries and altitude-related illnesses that you would rarely see elsewhere. If you know any medical students or residents who ski, you gotta tell them about this--but they have to apply two years in advance.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wondered if that's what you were doing when you said you were here for a month one winter! Were you by any chance here at the same time as Maren Dunn? (DO) She has just opened a practice in the Meadow. Carla, on the other hand, has moved on, and is in Missoula, at the U of MT.

Leila Zucker

Certified Ski Diva
I was there after Carla left but before Maren Dunn arrived. It was one of the best months of my life (and I've had a pretty fantastic life so far). Dr. Daniels is a terrific doc as well as an all-around nice guy. I'm definitely planning to head back to Big Sky for more skiing and to take him out to dinner.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hate to say it, but glad to hear I'm not the only one who seems to "fatten" up while skiing...actually this is the only type of vacation where I actually lose weight :smile: I know, I know, I'm working too hard... I also had a lot of muscle cramping in tahoe, I'm sure it was due to dehydration...those fat tires are so tempting after a great time on the slopes :smile: more water, less sodium, aspirin.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the first year we have both (!) - including Mr. Never Has to Diet! - gained weight during ski season. I guess we have both finally developed quiet upper bodies at last and become efficient skiers. The first year we lived at Big Sky, I couldn't keep weight on! I carried chocolate in my pockets to eat on the lift for energy, took a thermos of hot chocolate, and marshmallows, to the locker for après ski, ate huge breakfasts and lunches and I still lost five or six pounds over the season. :yahoo: Last year I broke even and neither gained nor lost. This year? The best I can say is that those extra pounds really make you go fast!

It isn't high altitude swelling, either! And ASA doesn't help a bit! :frown:

Leila, you should attend the Wildnerness Medicine seminar at Big Sky some time, I've been 3x (hubby is a hospitalist) and it's awesome. He's learned a bunch of stuff to use in the hospital. I've tried acetazolamide a number of times (Diamox right?) and I can't deal with it any more as it gives me an awful rash, I think it's sulfa based and I'm allergic to sulfa. Works well otherwise though! Just have to be near a bathroom for the first 24 hours, lol. And welcome to the forum!

Leila Zucker

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely planning to go to the Wilderness Medicine conference at Big Sky at some point (mostly because I want to go back to Big Sky). Yup, diamox/acetazoamide is sulfa based, so that explains your rash. I'm having fun on this forum!

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fascinating post. I had my nose reconstructed a little over 2 years ago and it still swells up a lot on and off. Also my upper lip swells, which makes me look weird. I live at 6000 feet. I thought the swelling was finally resolved because it was gone for the past 3 months, but of course I was in Hawaii and now I'm back at elevation and it's back. My body doesn't regulate fluids well but normally I am low and get dehydration headaches, so I'm usually drinking water and eating a lot of salt. I guess the tradeoff is the edema. Better to look weird than get a headache. (Skiing in Aspen last year I even got so dehydrated that I was unable to read or think clearly; I was sounding out words but couldn't remember what any of them meant. But a bunch of water fixed that in about 20 minutes.) I wonder if it will get better over time as the nose continues to heal. They do say swelling can last 1 or 2 years, although I never heard more than that. I hope it's not always going to be like this because of scar tissue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna