• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Whittling down my season pass shortlist..

Which do I need on my list?

• Mad River Glen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sugarbush

• Smuggs

• Jay/Burke

• Sugarloaf

• MAX Pass

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Stowe

• Total voters

Rue Roberts

Certified Ski Diva
So, it was a really hard decision, but I decided to change my plans at the last minute and not ski out west for the first time in three years for the sake of financial sanity and buying my own ice climbing gear. But now I can't decide which ski passes to buy for the season. I'm training to get my ski level up to a standard where I would feel confident taking my apprentice ski guide exams in the 19/20 northern winter, so I just need a few really gnarly tree skiing mountains, preferably with nice lift-access backcountry and zippy lifts so I can get a lot of mileage in. I've gotten it down to a longish shortlist, and I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's kicking a couple of them or adding one I really need.

Mad River Glen ~ $199, or $90 for mid-week only if I buy the Sugarbush pass. Is this real life!!????

Sugarbush ~ $399, or $389 including MRG. The MRG discount is a nice bonus for getting the sugarbush pass, but I can't find many people raving about it like they do MRG or Smuggs or Stowe or Jay. Is the nice backcountry access worth it? Should I be swayed by their 4000+ acre claim?

Smuggler’s Notch ~ $359.

Jay - $569, which includes Burke.

Sugarloaf ~ $479, or $808 with the MAX. It seems to have nice sorta lift-accessed backcountry, and they advertise alpine and have some nice lesson deals. Is it worth the long drive? I'd probably end up doing a couple five day trips, but really I'd just get it to not have to pay full price for the Max.

MAX Pass ~ $679 or $329 if I buy the Sugarloaf pass. I'd probably do at least a couple days at Tremblant, Whiteface, Gore, Okemo, Sunday River, Mont Saint Ann, Stratton, and Killington if I had it.

Stowe ~ I actually already have an Epic pass, but I called and the manager is willing to refund it. It makes me sad because I've seen so many pretty videos at Stowe, but it seems a terrible value for $888. Is it in fact?

I kicked off the Peak Pass ($399), Killington ($539), the Cannon/Bretton woods combo ($399), Magic ($279), Ragged ($299), the New England Pass ($579), and Bolton Valley ($189), but feel free to argue for them anyway. : )

Priorities are challenging/interesting/cliffy/gnarly trees > best backcountry access with the least skinning involved on either end > lift speed > $. I'll probably ski pretty much every day I'm not ice climbing. Love in advance if you can help me with this puzzle. : )

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Rue Roberts : where will you be driving from?

MRG and Sugarbush would be a pretty good combination. Advantage of sticking with just a couple places is it's easier to focus on technique once you have a feel for the challenging terrain options. I liked Sugarbush a lot. Of course, it helped that the day I was there was a midweek NE powder day where there were very few other people on the slopes.

Second choice based on my experience would be Sugarloaf plus MAX Pass. Haven't been to Sugarloaf yet. Note that the MAX Pass places you mentioned are good in terms of high speed lifts but most aren't known for terrain that would be considered good training for backcountry skiing.

Given what you are looking for, I wouldn't recommend an Epic Pass for just skiing Stowe. I've skied enough days at Stowe in the last few years to know that I'd much rather go explore other places in the northeast instead of going back to Stowe.

Smuggs has good terrain in terms of trees but s.l.o.w lifts. Also a bit of a pain in terms of driving access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga