• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Where to stay - Sun Valley?

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Divas - I have a client in Idaho now (hello lovely, easy park city / SLC commute!) and was thinking that I might as well pop over to Sun Valley for a weekend.....but (horrific screeching noise!) ...there are no Marriot properties within 50 miles?!?!

Advice on where to stay? I went to the Sun Valley website and found some lovely options for $500-1500 per night (GASP! NO!)

Thanks in advance!
B

Christy

Angel Diva
SV doesn't have all those large hotel chains (unless you count the two Best Westerns which are independently owned) or chain businesses at all, for that matter. It's one thing that's really nice about it. Hotels here (I'm here right now) generally aren't that expensive. Did you plug in your dates into Expedia or Trip Advisor? Unless you're going over a holiday you should be able to find each of the Best Westerns for less than $200, maybe significantly less. I see for tonight one of them is $132. I think the Kentwood Plus is nicer but plenty of people love the Tyrolean. There is a newer inexpensive property called Hotel Ketchum that I haven't stayed at, but it gets great reviews. There's also the Tamarack but it's quite dated. If you wanted something a little nicer look at Knob Hill Inn. Sun Valley Lodge and Inn have packages as well as discounts for Epic holders that offer significant savings over rack rates. The lodge is worth every penny. Sometimes in the summer or fall we'll stay elsewhere but during ski season we always stay in the lodge.

Really the only other hotel that I haven't mentioned is the Limelight. I haven't stayed there but I've seen the rooms, which feel very cheap (like Ikea-ish) and it seems very overpriced to me. Also the hot tubs are way too small for the size of that hotel. Oh there is also Pennay's which is run like a hotel but the units are condos. They are pretty comfortable units though not necessarily the most updated.

I have a feeling you were looking at the Sun Valley resort website, which would only have the Sun Valley Lodge, Inn, and other resort-owned rentals. The actual town here, where most hotels are, is Ketchum. Sun Valley, in addition to being the name of the resort, is generically used as a term for the area and so if you plug that in to Expedia or whatnot you will find all area properties. But you can search for Ketchum ID hotels too.

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remembering I also stayed at the Kenwood Best Western (friend booked in error) -it's a few blocks closer to town but No breakfast in the hotel they gave a 5$ voucher for a little cafe next door to hotel. $5/didn't go far. Rooms at Kenwood were updated like the Tyrolean, Kenwood had some covered parking. Just for ease of going to breakfast without putting on coat sells me on Tyrolean

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
We are booked in a condo at Cottonwood Condos for late February. They look nice and were a fairly reasonable rate, about $150 a night I think.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are booked in a condo at Cottonwood Condos for late February. They look nice and were a fairly reasonable rate, about $150 a night I think.
When I booked lodging for Sun Valley, I found plenty of small condo options in Ketchum. But for a solo traveler, hard to beat the BW Tyrolean for location and convenience. My crew stayed at the Tyrolean for a few midweek ski days before we skied Alta and Aspen/Snowmass using the MCP. The Tyrolean did a full renovation in 2015-16. With the bus stop for the free city bus right across the road that is the last stop before the main base, even standing for the short ride it was quite easy.

Trip report from Jan 2016:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/sun-valley-jan-27-28-2016.20416/

Christy

Angel Diva
When I booked lodging for Sun Valley, I found plenty of small condo options in Ketchum. But for a solo traveler, hard to beat the BW Tyrolean for location and convenience. My crew stayed at the Tyrolean for a few midweek ski days before we skied Alta and Aspen/Snowmass using the MCP. The Tyrolean did a full renovation in 2015-16. With the bus stop for the free city bus right across the road that is the last stop before the main base, even standing for the short ride it was quite easy.

Trip report from Jan 2016:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/sun-valley-jan-27-28-2016.20416/

It wasn't a full renovation at the time, and I don't know if they ever got around updating the remaining rooms. They are a dog friendly property and I suspect they left the pets-allowed rooms as is, though maybe by now it's different . I'd recommend calling when reserving to make sure that one is getting a renovated room.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna