• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Where to go near Denver?

Alabama

Diva in Training
Hi ladies! I'm planning my first-ever ski trip in January, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon this awesome site - what a great source of info!

I'm hoping to find some suggestions for where to go for four full days of skiing. We're flying in and out of Denver, so proximity to there is important. I've never even SEEN a ski, so any info would be very much appreciated! I'm looking for somewhere that:

- Is both beginner-friendly (for me) and intermediate-friendly (for BF).
- Is wallet-friendly (or at least not crazy expensive)
- Has lodging and other things nearby for nightlife or a day off from skiing

Thanks very much for any advice!

ps - I read the beginners' forum and I WILL be taking lessons :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Maybe after the CO experience you'll think about checking out the NC ski areas some time.

From what I've heard, Loveland should be a good choice. But there are plenty of others who know more about CO options.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite mtn is Copper so takes my comments with a grain of salt. Copper has a designated beginner/ family area separated from the mtn so you don't get bombarded with the more experienced skiers. It is near the Timberline (intermediate) area so it is easy for your friend to meet you at lunch at Union Creek. Union Creek has ski school so it will be easy to take lessons.
Breckenridge has an area called Peak 9 that is good for beginners. Keystone also has a designated beginner area and easy access to a place to meet for lunch and nice intermediate runs. Both Beaver Creek and Vail have beginner and intermediate runs but are pricier.
For lodging I recommend Frisco, restaurants, nightlife and reasonable priced lodging. You'll be central to all the ski areas so you can go easily go where you chose.
Breckenridge is a nice town to tour for a day, if you choose to stay there you'll be the farthest from the Summit resorts and probably more expensive than Frisco. If you're into shopping there are Outlet malls at Silverthorne that seem to be popular.
Loveland has been mentioned and is a good small area as well as A-Basin. I think you'll find more beginner terrain to play on at the larger resorts.
The local radio stations give daily snow reports that are good for choosing where you want to ski on a given day.

Rach

Diva in Training
Hi Alabama!

What kind of vaca are you looking to have - will you be with family or friends? How old are you? If you are with friends and want more of a nightlife - you should go to Vail or Aspen. Though, both can be expensive. If you are fine without a nightlife - any of the other resorts are great.

I grew-up skiing Winter Park/Mary Jane. I love it there! It has a local feel compared to the other resorts. If you are looking for more tourists to hang with - go to Copper Mtn., Keystone or Breckenridge. The town of Breck is fun to hang-in too!

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Hope you have a great time!!!! Enjoy CO!
Rach

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Keystone has beginner terrain at the top of the mountain, and you can ride the Gondola back down if you are tired or don't feel ready to ski all the way down. But they do have several very easy ways to ski to the bottom. There is a restaurant at the top of the main area, close to the beginner runs, where you could meet up with BF.

There is plenty of intermediate groomed terrain for him to ski.

There is free parking at the base, which is not true of some of the other areas.

Your best bet would be to stay in Dillon or Silverthorne, which is less expensive and has more options for shopping, eating, etc. than staying at Keystone or one of the other ski areas.

I can answer most questions about Keystone; PM me if you want any more information. You can also go to www.snow.com, which is the web site for all the Vail resorts (inc. Keystone) and browse information about Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Keystone. But I would recommend staying away from Vail and BC as they are most costly. If you stay in Frisco or Silverthorne you can also drive very easily to Copper Mountain, which is a great area for beginners, and for everyone else as well.

Have fun and don't get discouraged; it may take you several days to get your ski legs, but it is very likely that you will soon grow to love it, as do all the women on this forum. :grouphug:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not true, there is free parking at Copper and at the airport at Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Loveland and A-Basin. The only place we pay for parking is Vail.

The shutlle services at Breck, Copper and Beaver Creek are very good and easy access.

In Summit Cty you also have access to the Summit Express which is free and goes to all Summit resorts. Same for Winter Park.

Winter Park has a very good beginner and intermediate area.

My advice is to avoid weekends and holidays for less crowds. When are you coming? Feel free to pm me for more info about the summit area

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Overall, I think you'd be best off choosing and staying at one resort for the duration. There are packages for lodging/lifts/rentals/lessons etc at most that would be your best value. From Denver, arrange for transportation via van. In your shoes, I would choose Copper Mt or Winter Park. Lots of good learning terrain at both (actually, all of the resorts have plenty, but Copper's is "segregated" and Winter Park's is plentiful) and both have lots for BF. Advantage to Copper would be the availability of Summit Stage (free, as stated above) to get to other towns: Breckenridge and Frisco for night life, dining, etc.

As a beginner, you'll be most comfortable on terrain with which you have become familiar, and 4 days really isn't too long of a time period. (I've spent 4 consecutive days at Copper, loved it, SO much there, ditto Winter Park, 5 days) Hope you can get into a full lesson plan that will give you the luxury of having the same instructor daily, perhaps even some new compadres in the same learning shoes! :smile: er----ski boots, that is :wink:

Have a wonderful trip, hope to see you posting back that you love it and are HOOKED! :thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
I love Copper and it is very beginner and wallet friendly. When planning a ski trip with the inlaws and their families this past March, we found Copper to have the most affordable ski in-ski out lodging of anyplace I looked in CO. (We used this company and were very happy-- https://www.skyrun.com/copper/). The village there is pretty quiet, so there's not much nightlife, but there are restaurants, a few bars and some shops. You could go into Frisco for more nightlife and dining choices, or you could just stay in Frisco and take the Summit Stage to Copper, and other area resorts.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Packages are available but the deals went off Nov. 1st.

The shuttle fee from DIA is $55 to transportation center in Frisco. There is additional cost to go anywhere else because it then becomes a limo service. "Pricelineing" a rent-a-car a could be more economical. "Home James" is Winter Parks shuttle service and may be more economical, not sure.

Buses run 3 times an hour from Copper to Frisco and then you'd transfer at the transportation center. One way to Breck would be at least 45 min.

Also, rental deals are better in towns, Silverthorne, Breck, Frisco, than at the resorts which tend to be pricier.

Staying in Frisco still gives you easy access to Copper if you want to stay with one resort.

Alabama

Diva in Training
Wow!! Thank yall so much for all the info!

Rach - I'm 26 and my boyfriend is 28. As far as nightlife goes, just a bar or two we can belly up to will suit us just fine!

Little Lightening - We're coming MLK weekend in January. It's a long weekend, and I'm sure everywhere will be packed :( But that's fine, I'm just thrilled to be coming out there!

MaineSkiLady - I really like the idea of sticking with one resort. Like you mentioned, 4 days isn't terribly long so I think just having one terrain to get used to is a great idea. I'm hoping to get in at least 2 half-day lessons - hopefully there will be some other newbies so I don't feel quite so foolish :redface:

I hadn't even CONSIDERED that there would be shuttles and van services - I LOVE the idea of not having to rent a car!! That suggestion alone is a huge help!

Christy - I'll definitely check out that company. I love the idea of booking everything together.

Skibum - I'm definitely looking forward to getting my "ski legs"! We're pretty outdoorsy (usually limited to hiking down here in Alabama) so hopefully I won't be in for too much of a shock? Maybe?!?

Ladies, I can't thank you enough. Your suggestions have been infinitely helpful! I can now narrow it down to a list of 3 or 4 resorts, which will make the decision much easier. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions so until then, thank you thank you thank you!!! :becky:

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alabama..

If you are going over MLK weekend most everywhere is going to be a bit crowded. Knowing that, I would suggest Copper, it may be the least crowded.

Since you are only going to be there for a few days you want to get the most out of your time and money. I would stick with one resort that way you can take lessons there and get to know the terrain a bit.

The Colorado Mountain Express will take you from the airport in Denver to wherever you want to go and back. You can check out their website here: https://www.ridecme.com. You wont have to rent a car and if you arent used to driving I-70 from Denver to the mountains in winter storms it will be a more relaxing time getting up there. If you stay at one resort you wont really need a car once you are there. But if you are in Summit County and want to go somewhere that isn't within walking distance, there is a bus (the Summit Express) that you can take just about anywhere in Summit County. And its free!

Copper has great beginners terrain and nice places to stay. There are a few bars/restaurants that you can hit up in the evening, but in general the night life is pretty calm. They may have some special events going on since its a holiday weekend though. But in all honesty you probably wont have much energy to do too much after skiing all day. And dont forget the effects of altitude. You can have one or two beers (depending on your tolerance) and feel pretty good! hehe :becky:

Breckenridge is another place I would suggest. It will be crowded. But there are more lodging options as far as what is within walking distance to the mountain. You can easily walk "downtown" and there is plenty to do there in the evening. If you go to Breck and you get a chance, eat at Rasta Pasta (YUM!!):thumbsup: ! Breck also has great beginners programs and terrain.

No matter where you choose you will have a great time! You can PM me also if you have any questions or need some suggestions on what to do on your day off! (Im in Virginia now but I lived in CO for awhile.):smile:

Alabama

Diva in Training
Thanks again for all your help, ladies! You all helped us narrow it down to Copper, Loveland and Winter Park. They all looked great! We (finally!) decided on Winter Park after a whole lot of comparing. They all had a LOT to offer, but Winter Park ended up being easiest on the wallet.

Oh, and we're using the Home James shuttle from Denver - it'll definitely be a relief not to have to drive in the snow. Great suggestion!

So thank you all again, I can't wait to get out there!!! I'll be sure to report back with what I'm sure will be a new obsession :D

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good choice, the shuttle service during prime hours to and from the slopes is very good.

Winter Park is a great learning hill. Enjoy!

SashaJo

Certified Ski Diva
Glad you skipped Keystone

I am a solid green to easy blue skier and was looking forward to my trip to Keystone last year. I found it to be packed with rude people, on the whole. I stayed to where I know I can ski and was still cussed out a number of times, including someone who yelled at me that if I couldn't ski I shouldn't be there. Yup, that was on a green. He was in a hurry to get down. On the up side, I found going over to Breckenridge a wonderful experience. Skied there twice that week.

I've also skied a bunch of the other resorts in CO, so I have a little bit to compare with - not just throwing out unpleasant comments.

Glad that you found somewhere you'll enjoy! Also glad that you're taking lessons - best thing that you can do!!

Enjoy your vacation!!!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a solid green to easy blue skier and was looking forward to my trip to Keystone last year. I found it to be packed with rude people, on the whole. I stayed to where I know I can ski and was still cussed out a number of times, including someone who yelled at me that if I couldn't ski I shouldn't be there. Yup, that was on a green. He was in a hurry to get down. On the up side, I found going over to Breckenridge a wonderful experience. Skied there twice that week.

I've also skied a bunch of the other resorts in CO, so I have a little bit to compare with - not just throwing out unpleasant comments.

Glad that you found somewhere you'll enjoy! Also glad that you're taking lessons - best thing that you can do!!

Enjoy your vacation!!!

You're not alone with you observations. There have been numerous complaints on Keystone's FB page, the Summit Daily News and by my ski friends about the behavior at Keystone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga