• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What Kids' Instructors Want You to Know

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah! Talk about tangents.... that's not even what I originally wanted to post at all!!!

What I did want to say is that a program I work with now that has participants out of doors actually sends home a letter to families with the facts of cold weather. Like that starting as "warm" 50 degrees F the risk of hypothermia and frostbite increases dramatically, that once you get to 32 degrees F it increases even more, etc. The letter says that improper cold weather gear isn't just a mistake, it can have very real, dangerous consequences thus program participicants will be sent home immediately if they come without the listed recommended gear (list varies for when it gets to 50 degrees, 40 degrees, etc) or "loaner" gear cannot be located. The list/info isn't just made up, it's from a reliable source (as well as the clothing recommendations).

Just as Robyn said she will not go out with a helmet-less kiddo due to professional liscensure risks- this program considers the health risks of improper gear just as large a liability. In fact, I think they've already sent that letter out at least 2, if not 3, times to let everyone know they're dead serious about it. Not willing to be sued for a kiddo getting frostbite; and liability release or no- it still happens!!!!:fear:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kano, I'm not sure I understand you. You are putting this little guy in ski school. If so, then you shouldn't need either the wedgies or the harness. These are aids for students that "don't get it". I've used a hula-hoop to instead of the harness. But if he's in ski school, don't introduce these things. Let him discover it with the instructor. Patience grandma!! He'll be beating you down the hill soon enough!

Patience, eh? but, but, but!

The kids didn't get him into an early season session of lessons, darn it, (it was daddy's job, and he didn't sign up right away, just "got information" and then putzed around for a week or more, during which time things filled up fast!) so we'll want to do something to get started, since he and we can hardly wait to get on the hill.

So, okay, an early season lesson instead of harness and edgie wedgie to get us going, so we can have more fun together while we wait for "school to start" in February -- like I say, DH and I need to learn how to ride herd on the little monster until he learns for real!

And yes, he'll be zipping around scaring the heck out of us in no time!

Thanks for the excellent advice!!!!!!

Karen in Boise

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just looking through old threads, and this one got me thinking about skiing with "X-man" yesterday.

So, he's four. AFter starting on the flat, where he was just fine, we ride up the magic carpet and hold on while trying to get him to stay on top of his skis instead of hanging from one of our arms, which, because he's got no weight on his skis, his feet won't stay under him, is scary. So, we let go and chase as he slides straight away with no idea how to stop or turn. This doesn't seem like a good plan either, but he's like TOTALLY thrilled with zooming down the hill!

We never did get him wedging.

We did figure out that a picnic in the lodge is a good idea when the whining starts. It makes the next hour or two happen.

(grampa has new ski boots. BOTH boys were whining)

On the other hand, sometime in our second hour or so of trying to figure this out, while I went to ski on a "real run," DH explained the shape of the skis and how tipping them on their edges makes you turn, and after a couple of tip-overs, he got that figured out, and when I came back, DH had a hold on Xander again: Xander had caught on and "was acting like his father," according to DH. Daddy liked to jump things when he last snowboarded, and Xander apparently has some daredevil in him too -- he had started jumping things, and scaring the jeebers out of grampa!

Apparently, they'd also decided that they were ready to go home (grampa's feet, you know) -- probably great timing, since the little guy spent the first half of the ride down the mountain eating and the rest of it sleeping!

Now he's looking forward to Monday, when mommy and daddy are going with us, and he can show them how much fun it is to ski on the bunny hill!

Karen in Boise

pleen

Certified Ski Diva
When I used to instruct, I couldn't believe that parents would send their kids out for the day in white gym socks (in the Cdn Rockies...COLD!). Now that I'm a mom I am having a hard time finding warm wooly socks for my little girls (ages 2 and 4) so I take back the bad thoughts I had about all those parents. However, I still feel warm feet = a fun day for kids. AND don't let them walk around the daylodge in sock feet getting wet.

Jilly

Staff member
pleen - Hot Chilly's have a kids line, but they may still be too big. Also check with MEC's kid section.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smart wool makes smaller kids wool socks. There are not ski specific ones until the bigger sizes but my DS had a pair that fit him when he was 2. They are just thick winter wool socks that always kept him toasty. I personally prefer thin socks for myself but the little ones are not moving and sweating as much.

https://www.rei.com/product/771600

pleen

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Jilly and PNW. I've got some smart wool socks that are still too big but kind of work, my girls are so petite (little kids size 5 and 7). Maybe this winter they'll be a bit bigger. Luckily I don't live in the Rockies anymore and it doesn't get so cold here. Home made socks are the best if you can get them.

pollittcl

Certified Ski Diva
Two essentials which parents often forget or don't realise are needed - eye protection and sunscreen! So many parents have their own eye protection but don't seem to think the kids need it, and the excuse of child not keeping their sunglasses on is pathetic - I'm currently looking after a 21 month old boy who keeps his sunglasses on.

And edgie-wedgies are a tool that is a means to an end, not the end itself - once the child can hold a wedge they don't need the edgie-wedgie. This usually only takes a couple of lessons even in the little kids (2 and 3 year olds). Back seat skiing usually stems from taking children too steep too soon.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pollittcl Where have you been? You've been missed!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga