• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does the Diva feed the hungry masses?

Jilly

Staff member
Speaking of Apres ski, made me think, what do Diva's serve for supper after skiing? Or is it dinner out, order in, take out?? My fav's are anything out of the crock pot. Stew, chili or good ole ribs.

Marigee

Angel Diva
I don't do dinner when we go on ski vacations. It's eat out, take out, pizza or soup! Since I usually take our 3 boys skiing by myself ( i.e. no other adult along) I am too worn out with taking care of them and skiing to cook. Even when hubby comes I don't cook. It's supposed to be a vacation for me too!

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We always get a condo with a kitchen so we can save money and fix our own meals. But then, like Marigee, we're always too tired to make our own stuff so we end up going out. We always swear that the next trip we'll do better, but we never do. But this season will be different!!!:p

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, at the risk of bringing Phil into the conversation yet again, what does this Diva cook? Nothing. Not a thing. You see, I was smart enough to marry a man who used to be a professional chef. He likes to do the cooking. That's right, he likes to cook.

Unfortunately, he tends to cook in the 'high fat' range. All that stuff with cream, and butter, loaded with calories and cholesterol. But, boy is it good.

Anyway - he cooks, I do the dishes. And if Lil's around, I don't even have to do the dishes. :D I've got it made!

Jilly

Staff member
Way to go girl. I just finished doing it all for our supper tonight. At the condo the duties are a little different. I don't like hauling wood for the wood stove, so I cook but keep it simple. Crock-pot, frozen pizza, casseroles etc. Since we're there most weekends, dinner out could get too costly over time. Sometimes I talk the company into cooking dinner. Guy friends seem to want to show off, so I let them.

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
Something quick and easy. Spaghetti ususally, a pre-made lasagna, order pizza or go out. But try to keep the going out to a minimum to save $$.

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
I love cooking, and so do quite a lot of the people we go away with, so we do cook quite a bit - though not every night. Mexican is always a good one, as it's something that everyone can help out with.

We do have a fondue set but that's something that it's nice to go out for, I always think. Especially as it's no fun to clean up after a fondue.

A traditional thing in the Alps is Tartiflette - potatoes, cream, Reblochon cheese and bacon - this is great for after a day on the mountain and very easy to make.

Tartiflette recipe here
It's nice made with smoked salmon too. I don't eat meat so I've made it before with veggie bacon or mushrooms, which is also good.

The big success of the last time we were there was the acquisition of our very own raclette set - a world of grilled cheesy joy!
Raclettes. mmmmm...

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
The Tartufkette sounds great. I have a question about the cream in the recipe. Do you know if that is like our sour cream? When we have cream in our recipes it is a liquid, like milk. The picture included with your recipe looks thick--or could it be whipped cream?

Thanks.

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ArmyWife :smile:

It's made with Creme Fraiche, which is a cultured cream, more like sour cream - as you say, it's thick. But it withstands cooking better than sour cream...if you can't get Creme Fraiche, it's best to use double cream (I think in the US this is called heavy cream?). Let's face it, Tartiflette's never going to be a health food, so you may as well go for it!

Something I found out when checking this out is that it's not actually an old tradition, but was invented in the 1980s by the people who make Reblochon cheese! The French have certainly taken it to their hearts though, it's rare to find a place that doesn't serve it.

I imagine it was at least *based* on a traditional recipe though, and they just formalised and promoted it - similar situation to the "Ploughman's Lunch" over here.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Since we do a season rental, we normally eat in. I find it is part of the fun of skiing and the kids get the full experience of skiing with some apres fun!

Some of our favorites include, doing things that they can sort of make their "own":
Tacos,
Chile,
Ramen.

We also do Pasta, that everyone can add their own toppings. (Chicken, roasted broccoli, and chickpeas for the vegetarians).

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since we do a season rental, we normally eat in. I find it is part of the fun of skiing and the kids get the full experience of skiing with some apres fun!

Some of our favorites include, doing things that they can sort of make their "own":
Tacos,
Chile,
Ramen.

We also do Pasta, that everyone can add their own toppings. (Chicken, roasted broccoli, and chickpeas for the vegetarians).
We cook every night too. With 3 young kids tired from skiing, eating in a restaurant where they need to sit and be quiet is a recipe for disaster! We have chili, tacos, homemade pizza, pasta, burgers, and fish in regular rotation.

There is usually a snack of nachos or cheese and crackers when we get home to "take the edge off" before dinner is ready.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
This is going to sound weird, but shrimp scampi...
It's easy (and fast) to cook, kids love it because it's buttered noodles with shrimp and adults like it because you can gourmet it up with white wine, etc. I don't usually cook it at home, so it's a ski vacation meal, which makes it more special.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna