• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What are your go to technical self-talk messages?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, this requires what I would call the 'sideways slip' ie when I find an impossibly tiny gap between two trees, go through it with my upper body turned sideways and/or one ski lifted. Inevitably the larger person behind me ends up dancing with said tree. Whatever dude, pick your own line! :smile:

(note: not to be done at full speed!)

A few weeks ago, with snowpack having raised the "floor" of the tree runs considerably:
Me: How are those trees?
Fellow student: Bah, they're fine if you're YOUR height!
Me: But I AM "my height"!
Instructor: nearly falls over laughing.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Ah, this requires what I would call the 'sideways slip' ie when I find an impossibly tiny gap between two trees, go through it with my upper body turned sideways and/or one ski lifted. Inevitably the larger person behind me ends up dancing with said tree. Whatever dude, pick your own line! :smile:

(note: not to be done at full speed!)
You sound like DH!!! he can ski passed it just fine!! LOL

Last edited:

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Part of the self talk is learning to silence my inner critic, and at least replace it with some good stuff.

As I've mentioned before, I read "The Inner Skier" and it really changed the way I ski. I was always criticizing my technique while skiing. Now, I don't do that anymore. I want to ski with my body, not my brain. I don't think much at all other than, "God this is beautiful/Look at the sparkles/Weeeee or Oh, sh!t"....etc, etc - you all know what I mean.

Though when it comes to the steep stuff I do think "Let's roll!" before taking off and while I'm trying to pick my fall line I think 'turn' (like.. I know you don't wanna turn, but you gotta - you know what do).

However, I think I will try and nip this in the bud because when I think back to when I am skiing those steeps I have a clear picture of my tips in my mind, so obviously I'm not looking up and ahead. I do spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about technique when I'm not skiing though - I recap and imagine doing an effortless run. Unfortunately, I'm a much better skier in my daydreams, haha. :redface:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am sure you have tried a myriad of approaches already, but a major speed check and then maybe not only looking at the swath of white in between, but even trying to look at the swath of white past the trees could help. Either way, it is nice to hear that you continue to approach it slowly enough that impact is minimal...

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When speeds are beyond my comfort zone, I say: "commit to the turn & trust the equipment!"

Needsalife

Certified Ski Diva
ATTACK!

I tend to be a bit lazy, shifting weight and sitting back, taking easy lines. If I whisper ATTACK! right as I'm pushing off my form improves, I take more challenging lines and get more aggressive.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I'm really excited or nervous I do tend to hold my breath. Noticed it back in my racing days- by the end of the course I was panting and my muscles ached- because I didn't breath during the darn run. Still gets that way when I explore new mountains or scary terrain.

Sometimes a good ol' "I got this" is all I need to get down the hill. Push out the self doubt, remind myself that I got skillz and just go for it. When all else fails- sing.
'She Likes to Move' by NERD is my theme song, pumps me right up.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Singing is how I do it! It distracts the brain and, not for nuthin, forces you to BREATHE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna