• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What An Inspiration!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
On the hill today I talked to a man wearing an 80+ Club ski jacket. He told me he was 86 years old! 86 and skiing! My Lord! Now that gives me something to aspire to!

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love sitting on the lift and watching the "old" guys ski, they have so much style and they usually ski VERY well.

80+ and still out having fun on skis, now that is a goal to work toward.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, I asked him when he started skiing, and he told me when he was 14, but he never really got good until the shaped skis came out!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple years ago we had the coolest thing while racing Nastar....our youngest competitor was 4 (still skiing on 'the leash' with dad) and our oldest was 94. Louie still races at least 1x per month - he's now 98!!!

My mom's goal is to still be racing at 90. The way she's going, she will be. :D

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At a local hill there's an instructor who's 86! They call him the Energizer Bunny.

It's quite inspiring to see him bent over skiing backward while holding a five year old's ski tips :D

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wasn't there a guy in his 80s or 90s in the recent Warren Miller movie? I think they might have been at Nastar Nationals or something.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My stepfather is 80 and still skis. He just bought new boots on his last trip to Colorado, so I guess he plans on keeping it up for a while.

He also still rides a bike, rollerblades (among many other things) and lifts weights - he can benchpress more than my 38 year old husband.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shellski said:
My stepfather is 80 and still skis. He just bought new boots on his last trip to Colorado, so I guess he plans on keeping it up for a while.

He also still rides a bike, rollerblades (among many other things) and lifts weights - he can benchpress more than my 38 year old husband.

I misread that at first and thought you'd said he bench presses your 38 year old husband :o

Jilly

Staff member
We have an "old fools club" in town. They have their picture enshrined at the bar at Owl's Head. All are over 80. Brad raced Master's last year. He's undergoing Chemo this year and that's slowing him down. I think his 86. At CSIA convention back in December I skied with "Donna" She's 78. She was staying with her friend's son. Friend - "Rhoda" is 85 and skied everyday of the 3 day convention, including the rainy day. I had the son as an instructor on the last day and he couldn't believe his mother. I think if you're in good health, go out and slide around. The exercise, fresh air and compainonship is the greatest reward. Isn't that why we're all out there too!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
num said:
I misread that at first and thought you'd said he bench presses your 38 year old husband :o

Num, I am so sorry you are in the Chicago area. Too far away to ski with!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly said:
We have an "old fools club" in town. They have their picture enshrined at the bar at Owl's Head. All are over 80. Brad raced Master's last year. He's undergoing Chemo this year and that's slowing him down. I think his 86. At CSIA convention back in December I skied with "Donna" She's 78. She was staying with her friend's son. Friend - "Rhoda" is 85 and skied everyday of the 3 day convention, including the rainy day. I had the son as an instructor on the last day and he couldn't believe his mother. I think if you're in good health, go out and slide around. The exercise, fresh air and compainonship is the greatest reward. Isn't that why we're all out there too!

I so want to do that one day when I get really old. I used to think I was old (56???!!#$@??) Then I saw all the really old ones out on skis, and so I readjusted my definition of "old."

Skiing has so many unexpected rewards. I started doing it at age 53, old in my mind, and now I'm a young noob at 56. What a fine turnaround!

Jilly

Staff member
This past Monday, Hubby and I were skiing at Tremblant. There is quite a crew of "old guys" that ski daily. They may only make 4 runs or so, but they all get together and enjoy life. On Monday I saw a grandfather with his 5 year old grandson. They were having french fries, juice and granola bars. What a great way to spend time with the young folks. Liquidfeet, I'm a few years behind you, but looking forward to cheaper lift tickets etc. I plan on being active.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
liquidfeet said:
Num, I am so sorry you are in the Chicago area. Too far away to ski with!

I'm planning to work a ski day (or two or three :D ) into a short trip I'm taking to Boston in March. Where do you usually ski?

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few years ago at a ski camp I got the privilege of watching a 78-year old 4'10" 92# woman ski the pants off all the guys. She races masters along with her 80-year old husband. She's my inspiration for skiing style--appeared to simply float down the mountain and you had no inkling of how fast she actually was going. Hopefully they're both still burning up the course.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga