• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Well, we WERE going skiing tomorrow...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But all the roads into Big Bear are closed; the back way opens up from time to time, but it's a real mess up there. Power outages, treacherous conditions, gas & grocery trucks haven't been able to make it up for days, plus the usual plethora of bonehead moves on the road - I think I'd rather wait!

They got between 5-7 feet of snow this week, and needless to say, SoCal is just not prepared for a storm of this magnitude. It's pretty rare, so it wouldn't really make sense to gear up for it all the time (not that the state has any money right now anyway).

Since temps are staying nice and low, this should stick around for a long time. Maybe next weekend - better get outside and get the work I was going to do then, done now! Oh, and wax those skis too.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Sigh, send some up here. I have been following Mammoth conditions on FB. I have one friend who is snowed in at her condo, another who would love to get IN but can't.

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here in New England we are to get lots of rain on monday after a great storm last week. How disappointing this is! Hope it turns back to winter here real soon.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Sigh, send some up here. I have been following Mammoth conditions on FB. I have one friend who is snowed in at her condo, another who would love to get IN but can't.

I forgot to add, meanwhile we are skiing on hardpack with frozen marbles, or breakable crust.

I may just have to drive to McCall next weekend and pay my friends there a visit.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Methinks the snow dance needs to shift coasts!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As of 6:45 PM tonight, the state agencies closed all roads and access into Big Bear to everyone but residents with ID, until further notice. Seems that once CalTrans opened the roads today (really stupid move) the visitors streamed in, consuming all the gas and food brought up by emergency convoy, and managing to get over 400 cars stuck in the snow and ice on the main road out of town. That plus the usual accidents, stupid people driving up without chains, over-the-side accidents - it was total chaos, and the state stepped in and basically closed the town.

Since we're going to Utah in 2.5 weeks, I'm thinking we'll NOT go up next weekend, even if the road's clear. It's too much risk. For those of you in Utah, the road to Big Bear is a lot like the road to Powder Mountain, except it's over 50 miles long. Trying to clear a sudden 5-6 feet of snow from a road like that in SoCal is a gargantuan task.

SOOO glad we didn't go today; it would have been insane.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Gardenmary, smart move. Where do you live? We are in OC and I am tempted to go up to Big Bear or Mt. High in about 10 days, midweek. With more snow coming, this seems like a week to avoid.

Do you also ski at Mammoth? Are you on the Mammoth forum?

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gardenmary, smart move. Where do you live? We are in OC and I am tempted to go up to Big Bear or Mt. High in about 10 days, midweek. With more snow coming, this seems like a week to avoid.

Do you also ski at Mammoth? Are you on the Mammoth forum?

Hey, someone else in SoCal!

We're in Fallbrook - we had a LOT of rain, but no damage. The Scout trip would have been great, mainly because someone else would have been driving - but that's the way it goes. I've never skied Mammoth, though we used to go to Twin Lakes in the summer when I was a kid. The cabins in the pictures of the Tamarack Lodge look REALLY familiar. By the Mammoth forum, do you mean the one on their site? I've perused that one looking for info.

Our general approach has been that if we're going to drive a considerable distance, we might as well go to Utah. That said, however, DH and DS will likely be on a Scout trip April 5-9 so I have been toying with the idea of going to Mammoth for a couple of days. I have never driven with chains - don't yet possess them, bad me - so I'm a bit skittish. I'm going to have to get some now, after this last week.

I am going to Big Bear the last Thursday and Friday in February for a women-only ski clinic. I went last year and it was really great - except I went on a weekend, that was the only downer. So I'm doing the weekday session this year. It's very affordable - something around $250 for 2 days' lift tickets, personalized lessons with video review, a breakfast and 2 lunches, and goodie bag plus Ann raffles off some fun stuff. PLus 20% off in the ski shop. Let me know if you want the info; Ann is looking for more folks. Last year there were only 2 of us skiers, and 4 snowboarders, so it was a near-private lesson for 2 days!

BTW, how is Mtn. High for skiers? I've heard varying reports about the numbers of snowboarders being overwhelming, but maybe midweek it's a lot better.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I honestly cannot comment as I haven't skied in the local mountains in at least 10 years. However, this is a special case. DH is having hip surgery as I post this, so we won't make it up to Mammoth for a while. Plus, they have great snow.

I am considering a day trip to feed my ski fever which I am currently suffering from. It would have to be in a couple of weeks after we are both comfortable leaving him alone.

I mentioned Mountain High because the drive is so much easier; however, we normally go to Snow Summit.

You should ski Mammoth some time.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly cannot comment as I haven't skied in the local mountains in at least 10 years. However, this is a special case. DH is having hip surgery as I post this, so we won't make it up to Mammoth for a while. Plus, they have great snow.

I am considering a day trip to feed my ski fever which I am currently suffering from. It would have to be in a couple of weeks after we are both comfortable leaving him alone.

I mentioned Mountain High because the drive is so much easier; however, we normally go to Snow Summit.

You should ski Mammoth some time.

I know that ski fever well! I think DH sometimes regrets getting me into this, I can obsess at times. We were really disappointed that last weekend didn't work out, but being in that mess didn't sound like fun. I would like to try Mountain High during the week.

Depending on conditions, I could do a lot of different things that first week in April. Obviously, I could do Mtn. High and/or Big Bear, but if Mammoth is running some great deals like they were last spring I might do that. I'll have to see what is being offered - can't afford the package deals they have right now. I also need to see if Costco has the Mammoth discounted passes; they had a 2-day voucher that was pretty reasonable. Last spring Big Bear was selling all day passes for $20 so that was impossible to pass up!

Let me know if you are looking for someone to ski with and I'll see what I can do. I'm an increasingly strong intermediate - after next week's Utah trip and the women's clinic that should be even better.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
If you decide to ski Mammoth, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a "Bring a Friend" invitation. It saves you a lot of $ on mid-week lift tickets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga