• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Washing ski socks?

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not read the care label and threw it away. I have Lorpen merino socks and smartwool. Can I put them in the machine or should they be washed by hand?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don't know what the label says but I wash and dry all my smartwool socks and they come out just fine.

Jilly

Staff member
I wash my Lorpen's along with everything else in the washer - warm not hot. And throw them in the dryer.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I did end up washing them by hand and they are drying(line drying) so I will put them in the dryer a bit as it is taking them forever to dry.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
I always use wool-friendly detergent, turn them inside-out (dry evenly and much more quickly) and if I need to put them in the dryer select a low temperature.
Collect all wool (thermals, midlayers other non ski clothing) for combined wash on a wool/handwash program.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I always use wool-friendly detergent, turn them inside-out (dry evenly and much more quickly) and if I need to put them in the dryer select a low temperature.
Collect all wool (thermals, midlayers other non ski clothing) for combined wash on a wool/handwash program.

If you are using Woolite, try baby shampoo instead. Cheaper and more mild.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always wash them in the machine (Bridgedales etc), but never put them in the dryer.

I should say my husband washes them, I am not allowed near anything wool, I have a bad history of shrinking woollens. :(

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Geargirl, we don't have Woolite in Australia, I choose a detergent carrying the Australian Wool Corporation approval.
Thanks for the baby shampoo tip - worth a try! Do you know if it would over foam in a front-loading machine?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Have no idea, sorry!

I like to pull out my Woolite soap box as it's huge marketing success/ripoff depending on your point of view, and folks don't realize that there are other options that work just was well or better!!

(Same with WIN detergent, but that is a rant for a different day)

sweetnsnooty

Certified Ski Diva
If you are using Woolite, try baby shampoo instead. Cheaper and more mild.

I should try baby shampoo, I use Woolite for all of my handwashing. I wash my Smartwool ski socks by hand and hang them up to air dry.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
you'd have to experiment. If I'm doing delicate that require something other than laundry soap, I do them by hand in the sink.

You can read that as, I throw my ski socks in with everything else. I do believe smart wool has been treated to not shrink ( but check the website)

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wash all my merino wool (socks & base layers) on delicate cycle in the washing machine and line dry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga